Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia seeks 'monitor stations' in America

joc

WASHINGTON — In the view of America’s spy services, the next potential threat from Russia may not come from a nefarious cyberweapon or secrets gleaned from the files of Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor now in Moscow.

Instead, this menace may come in the form of a seemingly innocuous dome-topped antenna perched atop an electronics-packed building surrounded by a security fence somewhere in the United States.

In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said.

LINK

God forbid that any other nations should be allowed to spy on America.

That's the exclusive right of the NSA.

• Like 9

God forbid that any other nations should be allowed to spy on America.

That's the exclusive right of the NSA.

We spy on them, they spy on us.

We just shouldn't allow them to set up a potential spy station right in the middle of Main Street USA.

I'm sure the State Department is all for it though.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm naïve, but it doesn't seem that what is essentially a GPS type monitoring station in remote areas would be used for espionage, but who knows.

I don't know enough of the details, but their GLONASS, the equivalent of our GPS, has been operational for years or decades. Why do they need this now?

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said.

fear. a typical republican canard. The cold war has been over for decades. The Russians are NOT our enemies.

• Like 1

fear. a typical republican canard. The cold war has been over for decades. The Russians are NOT our enemies.

well, it would make perfect sense to gather what intelligence you could by any means you could, I'm sure they each still spy on each other as a matter of routine, even if not to the same extent as in the old days, so I think it doesn't seem at all implausible that they'd be wanting to gather intelligence. However, "fears that it could improve the precision of Russian weaponry" is just scaremongering, isn't it, it would be paranoia if one thought that they did mean it seriously, but it's clearly just another attempt to present another Bogey just in case the Terrorists, N. Korea and Iran aren't sufficient.

• Like 1

What a life dude... what's it like being one of God's "special children"? ;)
  • Like 1

Meh.. sounds to me like typical US fear-mongering to me..

Let's re-ignite the cold war and make lot's of Ca$h!

• Like 2

I think there are some people that want a war with Russia

If so then they'd be idiots. Russia isn't interested in friends, it's just like the US. It's interested in POWER. They are actively pouring resources into rebuilding what had become a pathetic excuse for a military and they are doing a very good job at it. Putin wants to return to the "good ole days" and he will if he's allowed room to do so. As for war - no one wants a nuclear exchange but can you imagine the potential outcome if we stumbled into the situation with he and Obama making the vital go or no go decisions? Cancel Christmas, baby!

I think there are some people that want a war with Russia

Lot of money in it. Fear of War, at any rate. Particularly if you're selling weapons or Surveillance equipment.

:unsure2:

If so then they'd be idiots. Russia isn't interested in friends, it's just like the US. It's interested in POWER. They are actively pouring resources into rebuilding what had become a pathetic excuse for a military and they are doing a very good job at it. Putin wants to return to the "good ole days" and he will if he's allowed room to do so. As for war - no one wants a nuclear exchange but can you imagine the potential outcome if we stumbled into the situation with he and Obama making the vital go or no go decisions? Cancel Christmas, baby!

Like any ruler of any country doesn't put themselves up for office because POWER is what they want?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

The Russians are not our enemies. True. The cold war has been over for decades. True.

But where you miss the larger point my friend. Communism is our enemy. Totalitarianism is our enemy. Statism is our enemy. And in the mean time, since the cold war ended...Russia has been regrouping, replanning, and yes...the Communist Party is still the only party in Russia. Russia is on the rise..Puten is on the rise...Communism is on the rise.

• Like 1

...the Communist Party is still the only party in Russia. Russia is on the rise..Puten is on the rise...Communism is on the rise.

more lies. It is NOT the only party. And so what if "Russia" or Putin is on the "rise"? Why do you hate Russians so much?

According to the Constitution of Russia, the country is a federation and semi-presidential republic, wherein the President is the head of state[88] and the Prime Minister is the head of government. The Russian Federation is fundamentally structured as a multi-party representative democracy, with the federal government composed of three branches:

Leading political parties in Russia include United Russia, the Communist Party, the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, and A Just Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia Edited by ninjadude

I think it just seems to be that there seem to be never enough enemies; as if Al Qaeada and Iran and N. Korea weren't enough, now the Russkies have to be the big bogey again. Whether this is psychological - individuals, and the nation as a whole, have to feel as if they're constantly besieged by enemies - or whether it's simply for pragmatic reasons - the more Enemies America has, the bigger budget all those Security and Intelligence forces get - I suppose is up for the individual to decide. It is very interesting, though, how people seem to believe this unquestioningly, even people who normally wouldn't trust or believe a single thing the current Administration says.

• Like 1

more lies. It is NOT the only party. And so what if "Russia" or Putin is on the "rise"? Why do you hate Russians so much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia

This is the last post I will make to you Ninja. You are so ought of touch with reality that I see absolutely no point in wasting any of my time from here on attempting to converse logical thought process with you. You are obviously on here only as a political hack for the Democrats and you contribute nothng to the dialogue of anything. I wish you the best. Bye.

Edited by joc

In fact Putin has many times expressed his wish to make Russia a full democracy in the Western sense, but he just doesn't yet trust the Russian people.

Wow, this thread escalated quickly.

Back to the topic, I don't think it is a very big deal if the USA doesn't want Russia to build on USA soil. I wonder if Russia would allow us to do the same.

Really. Did Putin, or did Putin not threaten us over Syria with war? He did. Regardless of what Russia does in the world do we ever use such volotile language? I would say they do consider us thier enemies or at least adversaries. Why must you be wrong all of the time?
  • Like 1

Really. Did Putin, or did Putin not threaten us over Syria with war? He did. Regardless of what Russia does in the world do we ever use such volotile language? I would say they do consider us thier enemies or at least adversaries. Why must you be wrong all of the time?

WWW? This has to be the most priceless comment ever. When has America ever threatened the world with Voltaire language? How about when former President G. W. Bush was banging the drum over Iraq.. or current President B. H. Obama, abetted by America's Top Diplomat John Kerry, was banging the drum over Syria? Or are you saying that it's only aggressive totalitarian countries that use volatile language, while Uncle Sam just goes right ahead with the missiles and the Drones? Perhaps Putin had it right; volatile language was perhaps what prevented America's Top Diplomats loosing off with the missiles and the Drones and the carrier Strike forces, and all the other tools of peace loving America.

* Voltaire? I meant volatile. Blame the spell checker. Voltaire would never have used that kind of language. :unsure2:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

I think it just seems to be that there seem to be never enough enemies; as if Al Qaeada and Iran and N. Korea weren't enough, now the Russkies have to be the big bogey again. Whether this is psychological - individuals, and the nation as a whole, have to feel as if they're constantly besieged by enemies - or whether it's simply for pragmatic reasons - the more Enemies America has, the bigger budget all those Security and Intelligence forces get - I suppose is up for the individual to decide. It is very interesting, though, how people seem to believe this unquestioningly, even people who normally wouldn't trust or believe a single thing the current Administration says.

I disagree. While I'm no fan of powermongers, the military, or fear, I believe it's just good common sense that we not allow Russia any facilities on our soil appart from thier embassies.

WWW? This has to be the most priceless comment ever. When has America ever threatened the world with Voltaire language? How about when former President G. W. Bush was banging the drum over Iraq.. or current President B. H. Obama, abetted by America's Top Diplomat John Kerry, was banging the drum over Syria? Or are you saying that it's only aggressive totalitarian countries that use volatile language, while Uncle Sam just goes right ahead with the missiles and the Drones? Perhaps Putin had it right; volatile language was perhaps what prevented America's Top Diplomats loosing off with the missiles and the Drones and the carrier Strike forces, and all the other tools of peace loving America.

I meant we threaten Russia with that language.

I meant we threaten Russia with that language.

How did any President from Truman through to Bush Sr describe the USSR? Did they take care to always be scrupulously polite, in case they were offended? :unsure2:

lol, remember khruschev shoe?? lol

but hey, it is only glonass reference stations, i would not be so hostile, you never know, one day GPS system might be out due to satelies failure, all we'll have left is glonass.

don't think it'll never happen, nasa program is a very good example, where is it now? who deploys rockets to iss these days?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1