Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unlikely Allies

and-then

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-said-to-be-working-with-saudi-arabia-on-iran-strike-plan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've heard of politics making strange bedfellows but THIS? Apparently Obama has managed to create a blizzard in hell ;)

Wow

Yep...wow indeed. This isn't some cheap sensationalist rag out of Israel either. David Horovitz used to be the editor in chief of the Jerusalem Post. Makes me wonder why the Saudis fear something that isn't happening according to most here at UM. ;)

its a case of my enemies enemy is my friend. plus the saudis have a lot to lose, Iran could start a arms race in the middle east plus the Saudis are always looking over their shoulder at the muslim brotherhood.

• Like 1

Yeah but don't the Saudis have a special place in the muslim world? It would seem an attack on them would enflame the rest of the muslim world against the attacker

Yeah but don't the Saudis have a special place in the muslim world? It would seem an attack on them would enflame the rest of the muslim world against the attacker

The Saudis are not exactly beloved throughout the Arab world, what with their "whoring to the West" as many would put it. As a state they are mainly interested in maintaining their privileges, their wealth, their social system, and a Sunni supremacy (so anything that can give a Shia country like Iran any kind of space to thrive is seen quite negatively). Israel is probably just making use of that base mentality with some good old "we have secret intelligence that proves Iran is after you guys! But if you give us airspace access and stuff...".

Clearly a great sign from Israel. Next will come the tactical partnership with North Korea. >.>

That’s not really all that surprising. The question would be, what other Sunni non Persian nations is Israel working with? What is interesting is the role Hollande is playing. He is continuing the anti Iranian policy from at least Chirac. But the Sauds must feel like they can control the Wahhabis. But this is also probably just a diplomatic ploy to send a message to Tehran or this information would have never been released.

• Like 1

http://www.timesofis..._medium=twitter

I've heard of politics making strange bedfellows but THIS? Apparently Obama has managed to create a blizzard in hell ;)

This is only surprising because US foreign policy in the Middle East prevented these kinds of alliances from forming. Israel would have helped defend Saudi Arabia from Saddam Hussein. Osama bin Laden would have too. But we go in there with our designs of power and rewrite history so people like you who aren't familiar with what would have happened without US interventionist policy can act surprised.