Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone have an explanation for Deja Vu?

SereneScene

I just got it right now and I am 100% sure this moment did not happen before but yet I saw it somewhere perhaps when dreaming, but what is it? I always get deja vu throughout my life and it always leaves me feeling weird like "what does it mean? Why does it happen? How is it possible?"

I would love an explanation.

• Like 2

I think Freud's explanation was either something you experienced in a dream or something you did in your past. Perhaps details were different, but so many coincidences match, that you fill in the blanks instinctively and the memory feels like reality.

Other opinions differ. You feel Déjà vu because, of a past life experience. You feel déjà vu because the experience happens in alternate dimensions or from parallel Universes (which may or may not be exactly within the same timeline). Perhaps you lived your life already in an other Universe. And while your life (in an other Universe) was composed of completely different experiences based off of your choices, that some experiences were exactly the same result or outcome.

I could go on forever on possibilities, but in reality I believe it's more mundane than any wilder notions. Déjà vu is only an emotion triggered by a real-life experience which was very similar or similar to something you've seen on TV or even from a book you've read. If it were something similar to an experience from childhood, your mind could fabricate things instinctively to match up with the current experience.

The bold déjà vu is a link BTW..

• Like 1

Ohhh. Also, the experience may be only a one time deal, but it took your mind longer to process it, so it felt like a double experience. Or maybe we can see glimpses of the future.

Overall I'm gonna have to stick with Occam's Razor.

A bigger consciousness looking into your experience through you, as you yourself aware of the experience itself. You understand it as 'time' like it happened before, but instead it is your higher consciousness that is also the part of universal consciousness that created everything ;) I used to have A LOT of it and lots of coincidences like looking at the watch when it is exactly 10:10, 13:13, 11:11 etc. But not anymore. I am over it :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I know what you mean. I get déjà Vu all the time and it always feels like I had seen It somewhere, but forgotten.

I have a wild theory that our entire fate and everything we've ever done and everything we will do is already known somewhere within our mind or soul. Like someone mentioned above, the higher consciousness. And maybe these little pieces of memory happen to leak out sometimes, making it feel like you've seen it before :)

Well, that's one of my theories... Not sure if it's true or not. But it's quite interesting to sit and ponder about :P

I just got it right now and I am 100% sure this moment did not happen before but yet I saw it somewhere perhaps when dreaming, but what is it? I always get deja vu throughout my life and it always leaves me feeling weird like "what does it mean? Why does it happen? How is it possible?"

I would love an explanation.

One possibility is mental projection. The mental faculties have the ability to project into what one might be doing say in the following day or week. Sometimes clairvoyantly so.

It's a bit like you catching up with you projection.

Edited by zoser

Wow, thanks for sharing that article, it's very interesting. This has happened to me many times, where I felt like a certain situation has happened before. And I always wondered what it could be. Thanks for posting up this thread. It sure does clear up a few things! :tu:

Deja vu is a glitch in the matrix.

Funny, I was going to post that too. I can sense that we live in a Matrix type existence. This one is biological or natural, but still a program. Maybe not like the computer type, but of something much more elaborate and detailed.

I feel it based on" genetic memory".....From our family blood line...If other things are sent down the historic blood line such as hair colour , face features , Eye colour, and hereditary illness , Why not memories...?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have deja vu a lot when I was a kid and teenager. I've only had it a few times as an adult so far. I've wondered about it too.

I wonder if the human spirit is timeless and is therefore in the past, present, and future. But only in the body. The body and the brain is unaware of it because they are locked into the present due to the physical properties of the body that is restricted to the universe's matter, energy, and space. So when you have deja vu, its your body becoming aware of a spiritual connection with your body in time. It may be absolutely insignificant. It may just be a recollection of something your spirit has already experienced without your conscience being aware of it. Just at that moment, you become aware of something you have already experienced.

I'm not saying I believe that. I'm just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

I would say that most peoples lives are so boring and monotonous and repetitive that it feels like they are doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. Occaisionally your brain turns off and you end up on autopilot and that's when you find yourself experiencing dejavu and other such phenomena.

Never looked into it much, I remember hearing a hypothesis that it was the brain receiving like a break in mental images, and seeing the same thing twice - like resetting your eyes, but the image hits your brain twice in a matter of nanoseconds, and when the images finally process one goes "I have seen that before....."

And you did, like a nanosecond ago, but too briefly to comprehend remembering it.

Seemed legit to me, I was happy with that explanation. It seems to well and truly cover the definition - "already seen," in French - Does anyone really know?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Well, seeing as Deja Vu has been firmly associated with Temporal-Lobe Epilepsy it's fairly safe to assume that some sort of 'processing error' is occurring in your brain during the experience. Most likely, your brain just accidentally processes a piece of information twice.

• Like 1

I remember that topic somehow. Weird.

Perhaps a remnant of a past life? Reincarnation anyone?