Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Truth Beneath Some Spooky Ghost Stories

Brian Topp

As a teenager, Kevin Burns babysat for his sister's daughters — a 6-year-old and a 9-year-old. Throughout the night, he heard a baby crying, but it wasn't the kids, who were sound asleep in their beds.

Read more: http://www.npr.org/2013/10/27/240824786/the-truth-that-creeps-beneath-our-spooky-ghost-stories

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 2

An interesting take on spook stories, and from that bastion of dullness and practicality NPR, no less! (I listen to them all the time; I can say that).

I particularly like--and agree with--the writer's point that ghostly tales often treat themes of injustice, unresolved issues, unrequited love, etc. Many attitudes and opinions within formal, organized religion and individual spirituality seem to focus on similar matters.

• Like 1

he he he... My kids said they heard a crying baby sound one night, when I got home they were all freaked out.. I told them it was a spirit of a native child. I walked round the house just to calm them down, then I hear a Bobcat in love. Cats make some strange sounds. Kids go nuts. Did I tell them, nope, I didn't want to spoil the fun.

Not that I haven't heard and seen some strange things I couldn't explain. I really do love the unknown.

• Like 2

he he he... My kids said they heard a crying baby sound one night, when I got home they were all freaked out.. I told them it was a spirit of a native child. I walked round the house just to calm them down, then I hear a Bobcat in love. Cats make some strange sounds. Kids go nuts. Did I tell them, nope, I didn't want to spoil the fun.

Not that I haven't heard and seen some strange things I couldn't explain. I really do love the unknown.

Well I remember getting back from watching The Blair Witch Project when it 1st came out. My parents were away and just as I was dropping off I could hear these wailing/screaming/horrible noise. I totally freaked out and went downstairs so the dog could help protect me. I finally figured out it was cats having some sexy time. I have seen the size of a Bobcat and can only imagine the terrifying noise they must make!

Edited by bulveye
  • Like 1

When jaws came out in 1975, people were horrified to go into the water. It burned an impression of "something is going to get me". Just like blair witch, paranormal and many other movies over the years.