Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Are We Alone in the Universe?"

Gomar

what college teaches that life is so extremely rare ?

None that I know of. Unlike churches, universities prefer to let their students come to their own conclusions.

Your college degree must be outdated or very biased to the fact that we are oh so special in a reality where the possibilties are unlimited.

My college degree is not in the field of astrobiology. One thing they did teach us is that possibilities are not unlimited. I learned in physics that the universe is rigidly constrained by physical laws. I learned in biology that most of these laws are not friendly to life.

Have you thought of what life is made of and what the most common things are in our known universe ?

Yes. Have you?

was it some kind of religious school?

No it was not and I am not a Creationist in any way. I just have a strong appreciation for life and the planet we live on after learning about it.

Here on earth you find life in extreme temperatures and pressure places without light and so on

These "extreme temperatures and pressures" on Earth are a total joke compared to the truly extreme temperatures and pressures you'll find elsewhere in the universe. The highest temperature we've found life on Earth is around 339K which is hardly extreme compared to the temperatures found on planets like Venus. Water is liquid only between 273K and 373K (a very wide range compared to most molecules) yet planet surface temperatures in our solar system range from 44K to 737K. You're not going to find a lot of liquid water or liquid anything in the universe. It's not a common state for matter to be in, at least not for long.

In that case you must be a devoted Christian.

Another gem from the king of ignorance.

Mormons (they're Christians, zoser) believe in other life in the universe.

God's experiment in an other wise lifeless universe.

There's nothing in the Bible (that's the book they believe in) that says God only created life in one place in the universe.

• Like 1

This video

NASA Scientist Says World Should Prepare For Visitors

pretty well as good as any evidence to prove that we are not alone in this universe

This video

pretty well as good as any evidence to prove that we are not alone in this universe

I just watched all of that, Michio Kaku is someone who has some good ideas, but playing song lyrics in it - that vaguely hint at ET and mixing it up with known hoax vids ruined it for me

• Like 1

This video

That is what is known as a contingency plan. Not based on knowledge or fact but 'just in case'.

BTW, welcome to UM. :tu:

That is what is known as a contingency plan. Not based on knowledge or fact but 'just in case'.

BTW, welcome to UM. :tu:

Thank you for the welcome, what your saying is somewhat true but a contingency plan

is usually based on some factual information.The question "are we alone?", is probably

one of the most important questions for the human race to consider in the future it

could affect all of us.

This is an interesting video that reveals Vatican's involvement in the UFO phenomenon

Aliens And The Vatican 2013

Maybe this video will provide more answers to if we are alone or not?

People are afraid of thinking of worst-case scenarios. Or they tend to avoid imagining bad situations unconsciously. The First Contact will be no peaches and cream. We might end up meeting aliens that can crush human skulls like eggs with bare hands.

"Are We Alone in the Universe?"

I think it's a definite possibility, and in reality to date, all the available evidence would point to that conclusion.

Well no. There is one line of evidence that points otherwise -- the fact that we exist. We've closely looked at only one solar system and in it we find a planet with life. That is one out of one: a small statistical sample but batting 1000.

Give me a reason.

Have you watched the two videos one with the astro geek and bio geek or the Nasa lecture there is 3 hours of reason to begin with...

We don't have any math (what's a "prop"?). To have a correct mathematical formula, you need to know what all the variables are. We don't even know that.

We have Several equations to help us like Drakes so are you saying they are wrong ?

One thing they taught us in school there is a very huge difference between "infinite" and "almost infinite".

So they did teach you something true as you are right on this , still doesnt change the fact that your Theory is more likely to be wrong then mine.

"Teach otherwise"? What are you talking about? No school "taught" me about the probability of extraterrestrial life. They taught me about biology, geology, and anthropology. I learned astronomy and very basic astrophysics from books.

What did I learn? Due to the physical properties of molecules commonly found in the universe, the conditions for the creation, continuation and evolution of life are astronomically uncommon. The biggest constraining factor is that you need liquid as a medium for the chemical reactions of life and unfortunately the temperature and pressure ranges where common substances are liquid are extremely narrow and some require extreme temperatures and pressures that don't promote the building of cellular structures. Many gases are liquid in extremely cold temperatures or extremely high pressures but these conditions don't promote life in form outside of science fiction.

The second huge problem is that chemical reactions are one way -- they consume useful products and create waste. That means that life tends to consume available resources then dies. It takes extremely favorable conditions (and who knows what else) for life to create cycles in which waste products from one life form are reconverted into useful products for another life form. This must happen otherwise life will die, and there's nothing that suggests that cycles form naturally any more than life forms naturally.

Based on what facts we have no clue whats out there and the actual scientists that have alot more knowledge says the opposite of your idea , iam not saying life cant happen and go extinct but as it will happen again and again all over the universe you must be joking saying you know thats not true...

Finding evidence of life on Mars suggests that the existence of extraterrestrial life is less likely. It would mean that 50% of life we know about only existed for a short period of time. That seems like the most likely outcome for life in the universe.

so because of one very small solar system you base your facts on this instead of listening to the scientists who are looking beyond?

Edited by Fox M

None that I know of. Unlike churches, universities prefer to let their students come to their own conclusions.

My college degree is not in the field of astrobiology. One thing they did teach us is that possibilities are not unlimited. I learned in physics that the universe is rigidly constrained by physical laws. I learned in biology that most of these laws are not friendly to life.

Yes. Have you?

No it was not and I am not a Creationist in any way. I just have a strong appreciation for life and the planet we live on after learning about it.

These "extreme temperatures and pressures" on Earth are a total joke compared to the truly extreme temperatures and pressures you'll find elsewhere in the universe. The highest temperature we've found life on Earth is around 339K which is hardly extreme compared to the temperatures found on planets like Venus. Water is liquid only between 273K and 373K (a very wide range compared to most molecules) yet planet surface temperatures in our solar system range from 44K to 737K. You're not going to find a lot of liquid water or liquid anything in the universe. It's not a common state for matter to be in, at least not for long.

So since your college degree actually means you dont know , how come you dont listen to people with higher education on this field before making up your mind ?

I wouldnt call our extremes a joke this is more as an example to why the chances of finding life is much bigger when you dont need the exact same temps and pressure that sustains human life.

Again i cant see you finding any scientist on this field saying diffrently then me so iam sorry but your education cannot change my mind and if people with more knowledge then you cant change yours , we are just stuck on this discussion.

I will leave you with Mr. deGrasse Tysons word and say : you good sir are an egocentric :)

Meanwhile people are dying in hurricanes and tornadoes that actually exist.

Yes also hunger, war , earthquakes and ignorence but that really isent the discussion here or atleast that doesnt prove or disprove life in the universe

In that case you must be a devoted Christian.

God's experiment in an other wise lifeless universe.

You must therefore be a believer in angels and the devil?

Actually Zos, I'm an athiest, and much like religion I view belief in alien visitation the same way. Until it's been proven i'll not rely on blind faith & the stories of others to influence my opinions, unlike your good self.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Actually Zos, I'm an athiest, and much like religion I view belief in alien visitation the same way. Until it's been proven i'll not rely on blind faith & the stories of others to influence my opinions, unlike your good self.

What inspires you then?

We are alone until we meet something thats alive in some way we can tell Its alive.

:clap:

Such as happened to Charles Hall?

People are afraid of thinking of worst-case scenarios. Or they tend to avoid imagining bad situations unconsciously. The First Contact will be no peaches and cream. We might end up meeting aliens that can crush human skulls like eggs with bare hands.

This is what Semjase, from the Plejaren people 500 light years away from Earth time shifted in the future

had to say on her first contact

"Other solar systems yet carry many life forms, and not only human. The forms of life are various, both human and animal. There are also many animal and even plant forms of life which have themselves evolved to high forms of life. So there does exist many sorts, which have reached large knowledge and freed themselves from their planets and travel through the Universe and sometimes come to the Earth.

Many of them are but rather nasty contemporaries and live in a certain barbarism, which is still worse even then yours. Your should be on your guard of these types, because they often fight against and destroy everything that comes along their way. They have often even destroyed whole planets and beaten their inhabitants into barbarous bondage. This is one of our missions, to warn the Earth human about these creatures. Let the human beings know this, because more and more the time approaches where a conflict with these beings becomes unavoidable.

A further mission of ours is aimed at your religions and the connected subdevelopment of the human spirit. Above everything else stands one power that resides over the Life and Death of each creature. This is the Creation alone, who has laid her laws over all. Laws which are irrefutable and own eternal validity. When the human being troubles himself he will recognize them in Nature. They expose for him the way of life and the way towards the spiritual greatness, embodying the goal of life. While the human being continues to indulge himself in his religions and because of that to a wicked heresy, his spirit pines more and more away and finally leads to a bottomless abyss. The human being must recognize that never can a God overtake the part of the Creation or control the destiny or fate of the human being. A God is only a governor and moreover a human being, who powerfully exercises a reign of tyranny over his fellow creatures. God is not the Creation, but only a creature from her, like all Creation dependent creatures. But the human being hunts after his religious wrong belief and affirms that God is the Creation itself He even goes further and pretends that a normal Earth human being by the name of Jmmanuel, who from conscious heresies also is named Jesus Christ, would be God's son and the Creation itself. Still different sectarians of the New Time go on and maintain things which already come near the delusion. Yet as already mentioned, also Beamships cheaters and charlatans walk into the same direction"

further contact information can viewed at

http://www.semjase.net/index_en.html

further information on her first contact can be viewed at

http://www.semjase.net/semjeng4.html

What inspires you then?

Inspires me to do what?

• Like 1

Inspires me to do what?

In life I mean. What is there to light up a life if one denies all mysteries?

• Like 1

I don't understand what you mean by ' light up a life'

Who denies mysteries? Nobody I have seen posting here.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

I don't understand what you mean by ' light up a life'

Awe and wonder, Beckoning feelings, hauntings, deep feelings that stir your life.

Awe and wonder, Beckoning feelings, hauntings, deep feelings that stir your life.

Er....my family, my loved ones, nature......oh & 'Field of Dreams' that gets me every time.

• Like 2

Almost all of those billions of planets are so far away that not a single radio signal produced by mankind as yet reached them. Even if some of them do have inteligent life, they don't know we exist and it is impossible for any "galactic civilization" to explore the whole (or even a relevant part) of the galaxy do to the extreme distances and imense number of star systems, so the chance they would find us in our little corner is extremely slim.

Just look at that number, 40 billion. If we had the ability to explore 1 of those planets every year (which would be extraordinary), even if we started doing it when the universe began, 15 billion years ago, we wouldn't even be half way through.

• Like 1

Almost all of those billions of planets are so far away that not a single radio signal produced by mankind as yet reached them. Even if some of them do have inteligent life, they don't know we exist and it is impossible for any "galactic civilization" to explore the whole (or even a relevant part) of the galaxy do to the extreme distances and imense number of star systems, so the chance they would find us in our little corner is extremely slim.

Just look at that number, 40 billion. If we had the ability to explore 1 of those planets every year (which would be extraordinary), even if we started doing it when the universe began, 15 billion years ago, we wouldn't even be half way through.

A very good point well made.