Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK secretly agreed to US surveillance

questionmark

• 2007 deal allows NSA to store previously restricted material

• UK citizens not suspected of wrongdoing caught up in dragnet

• Separate draft memo proposes US spying on 'Five-Eyes' allies

The phone, internet and email records of UK citizens not suspected of any wrongdoing have been analysed and stored by America's National Security Agency under a secret deal that was approved by British intelligence officials, according to documents from the whistleblower Edward Snowden.

In the first explicit confirmation that UK citizens have been caught up in US mass surveillance programs, an NSA memo describes how in 2007 an agreement was reached that allowed the agency to "unmask" and hold on to personal data about Britons that had previously been off limits.

Read more

As I always say: submission to the point of self-denial.

Just wondering when a British government will grow a backbone...

English speaking governments tend to see the world much the say way. I've wondered about whether this would apply to other languages but there aren't really many to test the theory on, except maybe Germany and Austria. The "French speaking countries" except France don't really speak French. It is sure true that the Spanish speaking countries tend to see the States the same somewhat distorted way, but I think this is more historical experience than common language.

No surprises here really,surveillence and internet were made for each other.Makes you wonder whether this was the main reason why the internet was developed in the first place.

Who knows,maybe everything that has ever been written on these forum threads now layed, stored somewhere on NSA computers. :gun:

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1

As I always say: submission to the point of self-denial.

Just wondering when a British government will grow a backbone...

its not a case of backbone, the question is what did the yanks do or promise in return for us allowing them access to this information.

As for the UK getting a backbone short memory or selective - maybe both, but Syria was about to be bombed within days the UK's decision not to partake pulled the plug - preventing military action. the French were fast to volunteer, did the yanks go ahead with bombing Libya along with the French NO. just shows what little influence the UK with no backbone has. :tu:

i wondered at the time, why exactly did the French quickly rush to the side of American over Libya? it surprised everyone. well now months later its clear, the yanks are helping them fight in Mali (Africa) - the French are fighting islamic militants and have real problems with heavy lift capability and this is where the yanks came in with their heavy lift -C17's and providing aerial refueling, also intelligence. this fight is still continuing today but without US support France would struggle. - so all becomes clear. :w00t: