Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Door To Hell - burning for 40 years

seeder

A flaming big hole that won't stop burning: Giant gas crater called The Door To Hell that was caused by drilling blunder and was expected to burn out after a few days…in 1971

The 230-feet wide crater, situated near Derweze village in Turkmenistan, was named the Door to Hell by locals, referring to the endless flames and boiling mud that can be found inside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2510546/Hole-40-years.html

• Like 1

This is what happens when you murder and bury your mother-in-law, guys. Be warned!

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Originally a level surface, the site was identified by Soviet scientists in 1971 as an area that was believed to house a substantial oil field.

A camp and drilling rig were set up nearby, and, after the Soviets were pleased with amount of gas resources that were believed to be at the site, it was agreed that gas from the field would start being stored.

And what have these scientists been working on since? jeeze, do we really want to know?

• Like 2

A flaming big hole that won't stop burning

.....nope, too easy

Always thought this place was the coolest thing, would like to see it someday if thats something thats possible

• Like 3

It dosnt look that big. Drop a couple of military fire trucks out there and fill the dam thing with foam.

I suspect Somone wants it to keep burning.

I remember after the meteor slammed into Russia I saw a picture of this thing as the crater as the inpact zone. I nearly jumped out if my seat in excitement. I was disappointed when I found out it was a mistake.

• Like 3

Gordon Ramsay should setup an outside kitchen there

Doors to Hells Kitchen :lol:

• Like 3

A flaming big hole that won't stop burning

Some Hemocane and a giant doughnut pillow may help.

• Like 2

It should definitely be capped so that the resources are not wasted. Makes me sick seeing all that gas going to waste especially knowing how much I have to pay for the stuff over here in the UK.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person that imagines some midget sneaking down there at night and relighting the damn thing so locals will think its been burning forever.

• Like 1