Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Birds have 'predator-specific' alarm calls

4 posts in this topic

Great tits use different alarm calls for different predators, according to a scientist in Japan.

The researcher analysed the birds' calls and found they made "jar" sounds for snakes and "chicka" sounds for crows and martens.

This, he says, is the first demonstration birds can communicate vocally about the type of predator threatening them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25016160

2 people like this

I totally agree, if the birds that visit my Garden spot a Cat, the noise level goes up 5 decibels until it goes away.

Great tits use different alarm calls for different predators, according to a scientist in Japan.

The researcher analysed the birds' calls and found they made "jar" sounds for snakes and "chicka" sounds for crows and martens.

This, he says, is the first demonstration birds can communicate vocally about the type of predator threatening them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25016160

First demonstration my foot....Blackbirds in my garden chatter when they see a rat,cat,or human...but give out a high pitched 'Weeeeeee' when they spot a hawk.I've known this for over 50 years,without the aid of Japanese scientists.

3 people like this

With zebra on this one.

This "scientist" has only said what most in tuned with the natural wildlife already knew.