Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunters Set fire to LeBeau Plantation

Brian Topp

However, the news media are reporting them as Ghost Hunters. They are not an established group! They are not Paranormal Investigators. They are simply just "Paranormal Enthusiasts!"

What does it take for ghost hunters to become an "established group"?
  • Like 1

Maybe what he's trying to say is that there are responsible crackpots that break into abandoned buildings, and then there are the irresponsible crackpots that break into abandoned buildings.

These aren't Ghost Hunters. The title is misleading. These are just Criminals who burned the place down. Anyone can claim they are Ghost Hunters but legit ones wouldn't burn a historical place to the ground.

I would like to clarify this story because the news media has all of the facts wrong. Not that I am defending what these punk kids did. However, the news media are reporting them as Ghost Hunters. They are not an established group! They are not Paranormal Investigators. They are simply just "Paranormal Enthusiasts!" I agree with Steve. They are just punk kids. Professional Ghost Hunters would not ( I hope not ) in any investigation smoke pot, drink or set fire a historic location. The news media is misleading with their information and I am outraged from it. This is totally giving professional Investigators a bad rep!

Well, I don't think anyone in this thread is thinking the group of people who did the crime were anything approaching professional, I somehow doubt the general public would be left with that impression either.

However, kind of everyone from the most professional to the most destructive are called ghost hunters by the general public. Just the same as the guy who has been bagging multiple deer every year for 50 years and a fool kid with a beer and a rifle for the first time can both be called deer hunters. Vastly different approaches, method, and experience, but all caught under the same umbrella term.

Unfortunate, but true. About the best "creds" ghost hunters get is the term paranormal investigator to differentiate more organized or professional groups from the random bunch of people out looking for a spooky time. Fortunately, the term paranormal investigator is being more widely used and accepted for professional groups.

I do think that these sorts of incidents give a bad rep to ghost hunting in general. Not just the professionals, but also the regular enthusiasts that do things legally and properly too. Similar to deer hunting- if you get some hunters that poach and trespass, start fires on your back 40, party and vandalize- pretty soon a lot of people are going to not want "real hunters" on their property either and frown on deer hunting in the area or assume most deer hunters must be nutters.

Snort, maybe we need more terminology for folks looking for a spooky time. Investigators for the professional folks, Hunters for the serious enthusiast, and Poacher for the idiots that go do stuff like what these guys did. That is kind of what the illegal folks are doing, poaching ghosts. Yeah, that term cracks me up, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is no more what we did as kids sneaking into a cemetary to scare the bijeezus out of each other. We never burned the place down though. Oy.

• Like 1

What does it take for ghost hunters to become an "established group"?

when you have your own TV show or be in a news article or in a news feature on tv.

• Like 2

when you have your own TV show or be in a news article or in a news feature on tv.

You do know that would then lend an aura of credibility to the fools that set fire to the mansion as they now have their very own news article.

• Like 1

now they can prove intimidating and provocative technique with the judge of the Court, perhaps with him works who knows lol

An established group is a team that has their own website and has a good trail or rapport with clients. A group who shows professionalism. Not by breaking into abandoned buildings, smoking pot and drinking on an investigation. Besides, it was not an official investigation since they broke in and did not have permission to investigate it. It is pretty obvious they are not an established group.

This is just an interesting read .... true ???

http://www.earthfile.../plantation.cfm

It is hard to explain the feeling I had while I was there but I can tell you that the sensation was like standing in the middle of history's past. It's almost as though you can actually feel the history in the air down there.

That's not history you feel in the air, stupid. It's humidity.

Edited by Child of Bast
  • Like 1

Take your pick...

The image used to link to the thread reminded me of FluffyBunny....

Where are you Fluffy?

WillSoBackkk! Where yo' Chubb at?

• Like 1

WillSoBackkk! Where yo' Chubb at?

Is Newcastle now safe to visit?

If so thats where Chubb is at. ;)

While searching for an update on the story, I found an article giving some more wonderful news...

Sheriff's spokesman Col. John Doran told the paper that one of the ghost hunters decided to burn down the vacant landmark in the "haze of alcohol and marijuana" after getting frustrated when no ghosts materialized despite their attempts to summon them.
“They were in there looking for ghosts, drinking, smoking dope, and for some reason they made a decision — a conscious decision — before they left to set this building on fire,” St. Bernard Parish James Sheriff Pohlmann told The Advocate.“St. Bernard lost a part of its history today, and these seven individuals are responsible for that.”
Edited by Child of Bast

An established group is a team that has their own website and has a good trail or rapport with clients. A group who shows professionalism.

That's all very vague, isn't it? Having a website and having good rapport with the people you're working for does not equate to much in itself. Do you really think that in 2013, having a website helps "establish" you as a professional group? Everyone from outright cranks to certified professionals have websites.

I would have thought that being an "established group" of paranormal investigators might involve some sort of actual credentials, certification, etc.

• Like 1

That's all very vague, isn't it? Having a website and having good rapport with the people you're working for does not equate to much in itself. Do you really think that in 2013, having a website helps "establish" you as a professional group? Everyone from outright cranks to certified professionals have websites.

I would have thought that being an "established group" of paranormal investigators might involve some sort of actual credentials, certification, etc.

You tempted to make myself a site that gives me a PHD in spaghetti monster Hunter

You tempted to make myself a site that gives me a PHD in spaghetti monster Hunter

I happen to be an ordained member of the Universal Life Church. I got an email from them to prove and confirm it. For a few dollars I can buy a certificate to hang on my wall. What's more professional than having a certificate hanging on your wall to prove your credentials?
  • Like 1

We had something similar happen in my area. They didn't claim they were ghost hunting, but it seems that this group wasn't really doing that either. If I remember correctly, there were only five structures in the world made in this style, only three remained: the one in my area, one in disrepair, and one that had been so heavily modified that it doesn't even count. So, now there is the one falling apart and the heavily modified one left. About a month before the fire, I was lucky enough to go around the perimeter and take photographs.

I don't know what is with people and vandalism/arson these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUbMIpJcTK8

• 3 weeks later...