Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

60gallon Aquarium Water Disappeared Overnight

92vetstudent

Where was water?

There is no way a 30 gallon tank goes 100% empty, and not one sign of water.

Well, unless someone emptied into a sink.

You don't sleep walk and empty a tank. Do you keep tanks?

Do you have any idea how much work emptying a tank that size entails?

When I used to do water changes on my thirty gallon, I needed a siphon and three gallon container, and would have to do three four siphonings, to do just a 25% water change.

A sixty gallon tank, completely empty, is a HUGE Job, where in there's no way you wouldn't spill a bit here and there , and need to make multiple labor intensive trips to do it .

Water is HEAVY.

It would take a long time to do it properly, and the lugging the water to where you dump it, and dumping it, I'm betting would make noise, and no way can you do it in the dark.

I seriously doubt that anyone has ever done that in their sleep, anywhere.

unless you use a long enough hose, then you wouldn't need a bucket. just saying, there are ways around these little problems. also is the tank near a window, that opens. i9t is my understanding that you can do pretty much anything in your sleep you can do when awake. i myself for instance talk in my sleep. i have caught myself doing it.

Edited by danielost

unless you use a long enough hose, then you wouldn't need a bucket. just saying, there are ways around these little problems. also is the tank near a window, that opens. i9t is my understanding that you can do pretty much anything in your sleep you can do when awake. i myself for instance talk in my sleep. i have caught myself doing it.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258305entry4992737

this reminds me of an episode of the montel williams show. this woman in the audience said she and her family had a swimming pool. it was full of water one night and almost empty the next morning. she said the pool didn't leak and didn't have a logical explaination on what happened. sylvia browne, who was the guest that day, said an alien ship came and sucked the water out of the pool. i don't disagree with the other people who posted because there could be a logical explaination to what happened to the water in the aquariam.

Believe it. It happened. Never had something so strange happen to me before. I have never seen a ghost, never witnessed anything supernatural, etc. Water was there, 10 hours later water was gone. Logic says it leaked onto floor. I have a brand new house with porcelain tile underneath and laminate floor nearby. Even the dust on the floor was still there, nothing was wet or damaged. Tank was sitting on brand new particle board stand. Nothing wet or damaged. Wife was running the dryer nearby and house was hot with all the windows closed; maybe it evaporated? Not that fast! Somebody broke in and emptied the water but didn't steal anything? My wife/I have the only set of keys.

I had just moved the tank from old house to new house with the help of a friend and it took me over 1/2 hour to fill it back up. He came back that night to help again and asked why the tank was drained. After I told him, we stared at the tank and tried to figure it out for another hour. That's when I Googled "aquarium water disappear" to see if there was a logical scientific explanation for this occurrence and stumbled on this blog.

Forgot to add. The 3 fish living are a plecostomus, albino catfish, and pearl gourami. I have them in a gallon bucket sitting on the floor with an air pump. I'll try to fill up the tank this weekend, but this time will also set up a motion video camera to record any movement.

Hi everyone!

Before making this post I searched around the internet for a possible explanation to this mystery but it is nowehere to be found. The only story that comes close to it was also posted here in 2009.

This happened about two years ago but my aunt only told me the story last night. Her and my uncle have a 60-gallon aquarium in their living room which they have owned for the past five years. The aquarium has never had any defects of any kind. One weekend they arrived home late Saturday night, around 2 am, and the aquarium was completely normal, filled to the top, with its fish swimming around as it always had been for 3 years. They turned off the aquarium lights before going to bed. The next morning, around 8 am, my uncle woke up and walked to the living room to turn the aquarim light back on and the aquarim was completely empty of water! All the contents were still there (rocks, decorations, ect.) including the poor fish, who were all dead or almost dead (they were only able to save 2) but the water had copletely dissapeared. He woke up my aunt the they started checking the aquarium for any cracks where the water might have leaked throught, nothing. The filrter and the hoses were all there, functioning with no tares, brakes or ruptures. They checked the entire surroundings of the aquarium (table, walls, floors, everywhere) but everything was completely dry. They have tile floring in the entire house so no chance the floor soaked up the water. They also checked the possibility of the water maybe going under the wall into the bathroom on the other side but also nothing, everything was dry, not one single drop of water.

After the event, they removed all the dead fish, refilled the aquarium with water, added new fish and it's been normal like that for 2 years now. It was just one isolated event, but we have absolutely no explanation for it! Do any of you have any ideas of how the water left the aquarium and who or what could have taken it? I am open to any ideas.

P.S.= Just f.y.i. no one came into or out of the house during the night as it was completely locked with the alarm on, it was only the two of them. Also, they have no pets that could have drank the water.

Tile floors would dry quickly and the water had to drain somewhere. The floor must be slightly unlevel so tossing some marbles or steel bearings on the floor should show the direction the water drained. Somehow an airline or other hose acted as a syphon and drained the water.
  • Like 1

I have a tank , no matter how little water leaked out , there would be evidence of it , but a whole tank to drain and NO evidence of water outside the tank , that is a stretch of the imagination . The water could have been syphoned out as a prank/revenge . Both stories had the tank unattended for hours before the discovery of no water and both stories had fish survive and both stories had no evidence of water outside the tank .. but if it was a prank, it is a very heartless one !

• Like 1

Well isn't it obvious really? Fish drink all the water.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This happened to me this last night! Fortunately I think I figured out what happened otherwise I would be anguish for months!

I have an aquarium not near as big as 60 gallons, but still had a lot of water. I went to bed at 2 a.m. with the aquarium full and normal. Fish swimming with no problem.

I woke up to go to work at 8 a.m went to the living room and got a huge shock when the aquarium was completely empty with no sign of water anywhere! Anywhere!!!! I thought I was hallucinating! The fish were lying in the sand apparently dead. I kneeled on to touch the floor, to see if I could find a drip of water and nothing! Everything was dried. Floor, wall, table, even the cloth under the aquarium!

I was in absolutely in shock and disbelief.

So, I decided to re-do everything. As I was putting the air pump back to the again filled aquarium I looked at it for a while. I realized it was a bit wet inside the tube and thought that somehow water had gone in. Worried not to spoil the pump I pressed the tube slightly to see if nothing would come out the opposite direction before turning it on. Slowly, water started moving outside the tank through the tube! Slowly but steadily water kept springing out the tube and would eventually empty it all! When the pump stops the air diffuser - maybe because of the different pressure existing between air and water - start sucking the water out.

Ok, that was figured! That was how the tank got completely empty...the diffuser was laying at the bottom of it sucking the water out into the floor. But how come was everything dried???

That I don't know how to fully explain since the variables can be many. I had the heat turn on that night, so maybe it evaporated easily. Also, I decided to pick my hair dryer and pointed at the floor where the pump was. Tiny drops of water started coming up due to the heat evaporation. So somehow, the floor was able to, within 6 hours, suck all the water in. I would never thought that to be possible!

The 3 fish survived! :) When I picked them up, one of them moved is mouth and I put all in a glass of tap water. They all could move a bit even though with difficulty. I’m hoping they recover!

I live in an apartment, so my only concern now – no more a paranormal phenomenon in my house fortunately! – is eventually my neighbor complaining of humidity in is ceiling!

And! I have to buy a valve to avoid this happening. :)

• Like 3

'I needed a siphon'

All you need is a siphon out the window and you're good.

Almost no effort and the tank will drain easily overnight with time to clean up.

If you empty a tank properly and care about the fish, it takes energy. If sleepwalking or vandalising, it does not.

BTW, I've heard these claims quite a few times in the past, but never, ever seen a single picture. You would think that with such an event, the victim would actually want to document it...........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This same incident happened to my Dad around 1989. I did not live with him, he called me one day to ask me why I drained the 34 gallon fish tank. I had no idea what he was talking about, fish were ok. 30 gallons missing overnight, no signs of leaking on carpet, everything under aquarium was dry.

25 years later I heard what had happend that night in Romulus, Mi. Bright light shaped like a football, star like orb outside his bedroom window levitated him off his bed, all he said he remembered. True story,

Edited by Marshall1

tiles do absorb watere through their tiny cracks in the bond between...

• Like 1

This same incident happened to my Dad around 1989. I did not live with him, he called me one day to ask me why I drained the 34 gallon fish tank. I had no idea what he was talking about, fish were ok. 30 gallons missing overnight, no signs of leaking on carpet, everything under aquarium was dry.

25 years later I heard what had happend that night in Romulus, Mi. Bright light shaped like a football, star like orb outside his bedroom window levitated him off his bed, all he said he remembered. True story,

Because it would be so much harder for a spaceship to get water from a lake/pond/river/swimming pool........

You don't sleep walk and empty a tank. Do you keep tanks?

When I used to do water changes on my thirty gallon, I needed a siphon and three gallon container, and would have to do three four siphonings, to do just a 25% water change.

A sixty gallon tank, completely empty, is a HUGE Job, where in there's no way you wouldn't spill a bit here and there , and need to make multiple labor intensive trips to do it .

Water is HEAVY.

It would take a long time to do it properly, and the lugging the water to where you dump it, and dumping it, I'm betting would make noise, and no way can you do it in the dark.

I seriously doubt that anyone has ever done that in their sleep, anywhere.

Very good points!

Very good points!

Until you read these counter points..........

10 Bizarre Things People Have Done In Their Sleep

( not posting all, but just sayin' )

8. Murder your mother-in-law

By the year 2000, there had been an estimated 68 cases of homicide-while-sleepwalking reported worldwide. One of the most notable took place in 1987, when 23-year-old Ken Parks rolled out of bed, got in his car, drove to his inlaws' house, strangled his father-in-law and stabbed his mother-in-law to death before driving himself to the police station. There, he declared: "I think I have killed some people... my hands." A jury later found him not guilty.

"He still writes to me when he is in trouble," explains Rosalind Cartwright, who interviewed Parks extensively in prison, and later wrote about his case in the journal Sleep. "He is the sweetest guy in the world." Sometimes people like Parks are acquitted on grounds of a "sleepwalking defense"; sometimes they aren't.

6. Cook a meal

Unless, of course, you've been prescribed Ambien, in which case there's a decent shot of you putting down the tub of mayo in favor of an actual meal. According to the FDA, patients prescribed the popular sleeping pill have been known to actually prepare meals (albeit sloppily), and even use the microwave.

5. Cheat on a significant other

The symptoms of sleepsex (aka sexsomnia) can present in various forms. Sometimes the sexual activity is limited to self-pleasure, but it often involves other parties, as well. In the most extreme cases, it can lead to sex with strangers, and even sexual assault and rape.

In an article published in a 2007 issue of Brain Research Reviews, psychobiologist Monica L. Anderson writes:

The [cause] of this parasomnia is not yet elucidated and most afflicted individuals do not seek therapeutic intervention, probably due to ignorance of the condition or embarrassment. Atypical sexual behavior during sleep has rarely been documented; however, because of recent case reports within forensic contexts, more attention has been paid to the matter. Although there has been increased interest in all aspects of sleep-generating mechanisms and male sexual dysfunction, comprehension of sleep disorders as they relate to sexual behavior is still unclear.

Sexsomnia, along with murder, is probably one of the most psychologically damaging forms of parasomnia, not only due to the emotional impact it can have on the sufferers and the people they interact with during an episode of sleep sex, but for its potential for abuse, as well. The press is riddled with examples of people being acquitted of rape charges on account of their sexsomnia, but confirming these cases can be incredibly difficult. [Photograph via Shutterstock]

4. Hurl yourself from a window (and survive the fall)

That's right — if you're a sleepwalker, there's a decent chance that you'll subject yourself to self-defenestration. Back in 2007, a teenager in Germany managed to climb out of a fourth-floor window in his sleep. Incredibly, he not only survived the fall, he actually sustained relatively minor injuries — a broken arm and leg (it bears mentioning that he remained asleep throughout the entire accident).

And it turns out that if you're going to throw yourself out a window, you might want to be asleep for it, anyway; the fact the teenager was asleep may have saved him from a much more serious injury, or even death. Consider this: if you find yourself in a free-fall sans chute, experts recommend not panicking and letting your muscles relax. The reasoning behind this is that more limp you are, the less impact the fall will have on your bones. But just imagine trying to be reasonable and relaxed while falling from a fourth-floor window, and it's easy to see how being asleep could actually be beneficial once you've stepped out the window.

Draining a fish tank does not sound so far fetched now does it?

My 2 55 gallon tanks, I siphoned them out with hoses. Did not take long, and no mess. Put the fish in ice chests while I cleaned out their homes. Never in my sleep, but knowing what people are capable of, it can happen.

• Like 2

Y'all are over-thinking this. I may have a solution for you...

When I first began keeping fish as pets, I would get all the latest things: halogen lights, salt mixture (for the mollies), heaters, etc... and at the time I had top of the line stuff where I thought I wouldn't have to worry about defective stuff. Well, one day, during the winter, I was going out for a few hours and I turn the heater on low on the tank to keep them comfortable then turned off the central heating. When I came back several hours later, the fish were on the floor as they had jumped out (unfortunately, I had left the lid open) and as I touched the tank, the temp showed what was left in there to be above 90. I pulled the plug on the heater and it was hot, damn thing was defective and half my sailfin mollies and a few red tail sharks were dead but my pleco and betta survived. Half the water was gone from it being heated and a picture that hung over the tank was ruined from the evaporation. Also, if you have central heat, if any of the vents point at the tank, the same can happen but rather slowly during the winter definitely not overnight though. Glad at least some of the fish survived especially the plecostomus...

I had the power go out one time and the water in my 10 gallon tank syphoned out through the air pump and went down under the floor to the crawl space. I had three fish and crawfish in the tank. The crawfish ate the 2 small fish, but the big gold fish survived. I was glad, too, I really liked that goldfish. I had taught him to do some tricks. I learn to make sure the air pump was set up higher than the tank.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

Before making this post I searched around the internet for a possible explanation to this mystery but it is nowehere to be found. The only story that comes close to it was also posted here in 2009.

This happened about two years ago but my aunt only told me the story last night. Her and my uncle have a 60-gallon aquarium in their living room which they have owned for the past five years. The aquarium has never had any defects of any kind. One weekend they arrived home late Saturday night, around 2 am, and the aquarium was completely normal, filled to the top, with its fish swimming around as it always had been for 3 years. They turned off the aquarium lights before going to bed. The next morning, around 8 am, my uncle woke up and walked to the living room to turn the aquarim light back on and the aquarim was completely empty of water! All the contents were still there (rocks, decorations, ect.) including the poor fish, who were all dead or almost dead (they were only able to save 2) but the water had copletely dissapeared. He woke up my aunt the they started checking the aquarium for any cracks where the water might have leaked throught, nothing. The filrter and the hoses were all there, functioning with no tares, brakes or ruptures. They checked the entire surroundings of the aquarium (table, walls, floors, everywhere) but everything was completely dry. They have tile floring in the entire house so no chance the floor soaked up the water. They also checked the possibility of the water maybe going under the wall into the bathroom on the other side but also nothing, everything was dry, not one single drop of water.

After the event, they removed all the dead fish, refilled the aquarium with water, added new fish and it's been normal like that for 2 years now. It was just one isolated event, but we have absolutely no explanation for it! Do any of you have any ideas of how the water left the aquarium and who or what could have taken it? I am open to any ideas.

P.S.= Just f.y.i. no one came into or out of the house during the night as it was completely locked with the alarm on, it was only the two of them. Also, they have no pets that could have drank the water.

Hi just wondering if you ever found out what happened!

Just on new years day the sams thing happened to my aunts 10 gallon aquarium. It was working and was in good condition, whatever right. Then next morning we woke up to the sound of the filter amd went to check and all the water was gone! The fish were dead of course but not a drop of water or a leak! We are freaked out! I tried looking on the internet about this and you are the only person that has the exact same thing happen. Please i would like to know.

Seriously though, really bizarre. Reminds me of the stories about missing objects phenomenon. There's one story on this site where someone claims a fruit bowl vanished in front of their eyes whilst watching TV. That would be enough to send you mad, i would think!

I am also able to make fruit and glasses of water disappear while watching TV. At will even.

And yet another without a picture. I sooooo believe! (ok, not really..)

• Like 1

I do have a picture, but its just an empty aquarium.

Post it.....

And, post another with a note on the same aquarium saying " for UM ".......So we know it was not just a google pic search, and post.

Edited by Sakari

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked