Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Worm

DieChecker

I just wandered into this story. It actually has already been figured out, but I thought I would post it here as reference and for discussion.

http://en.rocketnews...und-in-vietnam/

Recently, Karapaia, a Japanese news site focusing on the strange and weird, posted a video of what seems to be a giant monster being dug out of the ground in Cambodia. In the video, the long, fat, gray slug-like creature is surrounded by a crowd of curious onlookers watching with rapt attention as the horrifying behemoth is hoisted onto a trailer.

These first pictures do look like somekind of weird giant worm....

*Snip*

For those who read the story and check the other photos, it becomes clear very quickly that this is actually a whale.

*Snip*

In the morning of 11th October fisherman reported a stranded whale, about 13 to 15 meters long, in the mudflats about three kilometers from the coast off Vin Chau, Soc Trang, Vietnam. As can easily be seen from the available pictures this rorqual whale has three parallel ridges and therefore belongs to the bryde whales. People digged sand for water and set up tents in order to wait for the flood but for no avail. The whale died in the evening of the same day probably due to the intensive heat. Because whales are in vietnam also revered, a crane was hired to bring the carcass to an temple and to bury it

http://frontiersofzo...-explained.html

Apparently the Vietnamese knew exactly what this was. It was only the Japanese website that sensationalized the video that tried to make it into a monster.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted images

Poor thing looks like a skinny whale. It's mouth opens like a whales mouth.

Seems it was a Bryde's Whale, a species of baleen/rorqual whale and among the most elongated as well. They have small dorsal fins and flippers. You can see the dorsal fin in the first image.

The dorsal fins and flippers are pretty similiar among the rorquals, at least I (as non-marine biologist) find it hard to distinguish the species. Anyway, if you carefully read what I have written to Frontiers of Zoology, the rostrum - due to its three rostral ridges - pretty clearly shows that it is B. brydei. This (three ridges instead of only one in other rorquals) is a distinct feature of this species.

• Like 1

its easy to notice the animal is a whale, quite an extraordinary situation though, Asian countries do all sorts of things to sensationalise their neighbours news! :innocent: