Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Gnome" terrorizing local area

BettyTheYeti

There have been sightings of a small creature, described as a gnome (complete with pointy hat) terrorizing residents of the small town of Matamata, in New Zealand.

As reported by the NZ Herald: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=235432876

Local police officers say they have been called out to a number of sightings. At first they thought it was nothing but pranks, but the reports are mounting.

"I thought it was just kids playing in my yard, getting into trouble" said one resident, "but when it turned and looked me in the face, I knew it was something much different."

So far the gnome, or gnomes, have been accused of numerous counts of property damage. It has made the national news, but is being reported on more as a gag piece.

Personally, I think there is something to this. There are too many witnesses for this to be misidentification.

Well where is the article, all you have is a link to the New Zealand Herald, is this some sort of marketing drive?

• Like 1

I must have missed it in todays herald. We get it at work, so i always browse with my coffee

Its saying page cannot be found.

With all these witnesses, surely someone must have captured a picture on their phone?

No pickies, no gnomies.

This would appear to be a either completely false, or completely unreported - the only reference on the web comes back to you, BettyYeti.

Do tell, before I dig a lot deeper - How did you come across this story? Please be precise and give us a step by step explanation of where & when you first saw mention of this story.

If your memory is flagging, just use your browser's history..

Or is this an attempt at LOTR/Hobbit humour, given that location and its "Hobbiton" village...?

Edited by ChrLzs

I tired to search for gnome on the NZ herald homepage but no story like this ?

Come on Gnomes ?!?!

Did you read about it the first day of April ? ;)

Edit:( sorry maybe they wanna be called tiny people) ;)

Edited by Fox M

New excuses:

10. A gnome ate my homework

9. It wasn't another woman dear, I was hanging out with the gnome.

8. That's not bigfoot, that's just the pesky gnome again.

7. Dad, I didn't dent the car. It must have been the gnome.

6. Sorry I'm late boss, but the gnome took my car keys.

5. The gnome wanted to help and that is how it was broken.

4. I wanted to return it neighbor, but the gnome took it.

3. The gnome dared me to and that's how I broke my arm.

2.I can't come into work my gnome is sick and they need my help.

The number 1 gnome excuse:

1. The gnome deleted the files from the newspaper.

• Like 2

When I first read the thread title I thought this has been on here before. So I just did a brief search and came up with this thread, but the article is gone:

http://www.unexplain...e

I wasn't here in 2010 and this isn't what I remember.

Anyway, I swear there was a thread on a gnome terrorizing people not too long ago, but I guess not. I don't know why I thought that though.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm curious as to where this news is supposed to have come from as well. The article does not come up, and when you search gnomes on the site, it brings up a couple articles about gnomes- garden ones as in statues. But no terrorizing gnomes. Tried a google search, and that just came up with an article or two about gnomes as in statues as well. Don't know what a Stihl Shop Croads Garden Fete is, but it sounds lovely, lol.

I can't find this anywhere on Google or the New Zealand Herald. Without a source link we don't really have anything to discuss. In view of this I'm closing the thread, if anyone can find the source to this article then feel free to send me a PM (or any Mod) and I'll re-open the thread. In the meantime - *Thread closed*

• Like 1