Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
UM-Bot

Woman records news on 140,000 VHS tapes

12 posts in this topic

Marion Stokes took it upon herself to single-handedly record over 35 years worth of news from the TV.

Between 1977 and 2012 Marion spent a great deal of her time recording news reports from network, local and cable news stations. When the first 24-hour news channels aired she began to record them in their entirety as well, sometimes using up to 8 video recorders simultaneously.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/258456/woman-records-news-on-140000-vhs-tapes

3 people like this

I hope she doesn't miss the chance to record herself when she ends up on the local news.

1 person likes this

I hope she doesn't miss the chance to record herself when she ends up on the local news.

"Sadly, Marion died in 2012 following a battle with lung disease. She left behind a legacy of 140,000 VHS tapes filled with news recordings and thankfully her efforts had not been in vain."

:(

Source: http://www.fastcompany.com/3022022/the-incredible-story-of-marion-stokes-who-single-handedly-taped-35-years-of-tv-news ( The article above).

1 person likes this

"Sadly, Marion died in 2012 following a battle with lung disease. She left behind a legacy of 140,000 VHS tapes filled with news recordings and thankfully her efforts had not been in vain."

:(

Source: http://www.fastcompa...ears-of-tv-news ( The article above).

That will teach me to read the article fully before posting... :blush:

2 people like this

Wow. That's incredible. I can see why the collection would be sought by archivist or such.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I've done that myself a few times as well...

1 person likes this

I feel really sorry for the unfortunate woman who must have had a poor quality of life having to satisfy her unusual and expensive obsession.

I've done it on a few occasions too. Happens to everyone. :)

1 person likes this

I have a DVR set and my parents always record the news. Channel 4,6 etc., Its not a passion we just set the record button to everyday 24 hours 7 days a week lol. I usually just end up deleting them because we get around 40+ DVR events which takes up unnecessary space......

1 person likes this

Wow, bet shes glad she didn't side with Beta-max

2 people like this

Interesting how an obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is characterized by intrusive thoughts which increase anxiety and by repetitive or ritualistic actions which decrease anxiety, can become a useful asset. I suppose it will require another team of obsessive-compulsives to convert the tapes to digital media.

I've always wished that I could 've recorded TV commercials over the last 30 or 40 years. I've always thought that TV commercials tell a lot about the society you live in.

1 person likes this