Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
seeder

A 240 year old doll that can write...

23 posts in this topic

From the BBC programme Mechanical Marvels: Clockwork Dreams, Professor Simon Schaffer examines a clockwork creation of Pierre Jaquet-Droz.

Or...the first ever robot... Amazing!!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUa7oBsSDk8[/media]

Alternative movie if youtube is blocked for you

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/the-writer-automaton

Edited by seeder
4 people like this

A...mazing! I had never heard of it. That was fascinating! Human ingenuity is truly astounding sometimes.

cams

1 person likes this

A...mazing! I had never heard of it. That was fascinating! Human ingenuity is truly astounding sometimes.

cams

:tu: And incredible that it wasnt just a one trick pony...as it could be programmed to write anything...like they say in the vid..."He reverse engineered the act of writing"

1 person likes this

Awesome ! thanks for sharing this.

Over 200 years old? and no aliens made it ... ;)

1 person likes this

Would make an interesting court case if someone had used him to write bad checks.

It wasent me your honor i didnt write a thing, it was my robot !!

2 people like this

Amazing Seeder, thanks for posting...

This just made me think of Steampunk.

1 person likes this

Absolutely brilliant, if a little disconcerting. He looks quite creepy.

1 person likes this

I'm pretty sure they made a movie roughly based on the existence of this doll. I had no idea it really existed though.

1 person likes this

Cool.

I seen this one before and it is really a marvelous piece of human engineering.

There are others too..I read of one called "The Turk", in 1770 or so this automaton could play chess and beat the best of them all.

Apparently someone rebuilt it and it was so good that it even beat one of the champion chess players...or at least this is what I seen on tv.

Anyways..it just goes to show that even with the technology "back then" there were those who could create totally awesome stuff.

Cool.

There are others too..I read of one called "The Turk", in 1770 or so this automaton could play chess and beat the best of them all.

Apparently someone rebuilt it and it was so good that it even beat one of the champion chess players...or at least this is what I seen on tv.

Anyways..it just goes to show that even with the technology "back then" there were those who could create totally awesome stuff.

Didn't The Turk have someone hiding inside it making the moves?

Didn't The Turk have someone hiding inside it making the moves?

....No.

It was an automaton..a mechanical construct.

At least this is what I surmised...basically a programmable construct much like the automaton in the video.

Edited by Ryu

....No.

It was an automaton..a mechanical construct.

At least this is what I surmised...basically a programmable construct much like the automaton in the video.

Yes but think of what the machine was capable of in 1770...

• Moving the pieces - no problem
  • The knights tour - no problem
  • recognising a move made by another player - no problem
  • responding accordingly to a move made by another playing - pushing it a bit too far for the technology of the time

The Turk was a hoax. I assumed this writing doll was too until I watched the video.

Edited by Junior Chubb
1 person likes this

And you think nothing of the 240 year old machine that can be literally programmed to write anything?

The chess playing automaton probably operates in the same way; the chess board may be weighted and have magnets that trigger certain cams to operate.

Of course only the Turk's chess pieces can be used but all in all I think that if a automaton can be programmed to write anything, a similar construct can be programmed to play chess.

No aliens or woo is involved here and I am not so sure the Turk is a hoax but then again..maybe it is.

Edited by Ryu

And you think nothing of the 240 year old machine that can be literally programmed to write anything?

This is why I assumed hoax before viewing the clip. What is interesting is that it does not show you exactly how the text is programmed, it shows the wheel which I guess would work like in an automated musical instrument maybe limiting the length of text produced. I was also wondering how it dealt with word that exceed the width of the page.

The chess playing automaton probably operates in the same way; the chess board may be weighted and have magnets that trigger certain cams to operate.

Of course only the Turk's chess pieces can be used but all in all I think that if a automaton can be programmed to write anything, a similar construct can be programmed to play chess.

No aliens or woo is involved here and I am not so sure the Turk is a hoax but then again..maybe it is.

All you suggest is possible, but the stumbling block is responding to those moves. The Turk might well be able to recognise a move, but then be able to chose a move to combat it, no chance (well not without some alien help or a bit of woo ;) )

The opponents moves are a random variable an 18 century automaton cannot cater for.

I have to admit though, it would be jaw dropping if it were real. I would ask for the Turk to take on Deep Blue.

Edited by Junior Chubb

A japanese one!!

The "Karakuri" automata is the traditional handcraft of Edo period (1603-1868). Their movements are caused by the power of springs. Japan boasts to the world the ultimate reproduction of "Karakuri" automata. The "Karakuri" automata that bend arrow has been achieved by Hisasige Tanaka, the first president of Toshiba.

One more

Those were..pretty good. I liked the Karakuri though..really cool. (Of course I kind of like ancient Japan culture)

Of course there is a difference between a device just going through motions and a construct that actually does something but still...to have machines so small and can do what they do is still neat.

1 person likes this

quote:

"The Turk was in fact a mechanical illusion that allowed a human chess master hiding inside to operate the machine. With a skilled operator, the Turk won most of the games played during its demonstrations around Europe and the Americas for nearly 84 years, playing and defeating many challengers including statesmen such as Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.

The operator(s) within the mechanism during Kempelen's original tour remains a mystery. When the device was later purchased in 1804 and exhibited by Johann Nepomuk Mälzel, the chess masters who secretly operated it included Johann Allgaier, Boncourt, Aaron Alexandre, William Lewis, Jacques Mouret, and William Schlumberger"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk

The Turk Hoax rebuilt & resurrected

A japanese one!!

The "Karakuri" automata is the traditional handcraft of Edo period (1603-1868). Their movements are caused by the power of springs. Japan boasts to the world the ultimate reproduction of "Karakuri" automata. The "Karakuri" automata that bend arrow has been achieved by Hisasige Tanaka, the first president of Toshiba.

And from this humble beginning they now lead the world in life like robotic sex dolls.

Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

1 person likes this

And from this humble beginning they now lead the world in life like robotic sex dolls.

Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

:lol: Hehe yes Im aware of them...android robotics etc is one of my passions and I lookup the latest stuff quite often, it wont be long till they walk and talk either

1 person likes this

Very cool, never heard about that before!

1 person likes this

Cool.

BS...how could it do that with mechanical tech?

Really neat, liked the video. No mystey here. Just good old human ingenuity...

1 person likes this

Really neat, liked the video. No mystey here. Just good old human ingenuity...

Exactly! Yet many here seem to think man in history was dumb :lol: