Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is beauty?

thyra

where and how do we get the sense of beauty? why some people are more beautiful than others or born into genetically more beautiful families than other? why and how people want to be more beautiful through surgeries if beauty is really in the eye of the beholder?

• Like 2

I think , mostly, its part of our biology/physiology to be attracted to other people. To find them 'attractive'. Some more than others.

Then there are the learned sociological aspects of why we consider others beautiful.

We see beauty in the rest of nature .. that response also is part of what we are?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

There is a chemical reaction in the brain that can even overcome the 'visual' cues. It is quite often that someone sees another person who isn't all that attractive looking to them...but...the chemical reaction...is such that the visual cues are overwhelmed. But chemical reactions are temporary...that's why...falling in love...isn't love and doesn't really last.

We have also been conditioned by the Media to define Beauty as...a certain look from a magazine...or...do we just all agree with that premise naturally and the media feeds on it?

So...you might fall in love with an unattractive person...only to realize how really unattractive they are to you when the chemical reaction goes away.

Edited by joc

where and how do we get the sense of beauty?

Artists, architects and cosmeticians all are aware of the ancient Greek numerical ratio of 1 to 1.168 otherwise known as the Golden ratio. This ratio is seen everywhere in the natural world and is closely associated with symmetry.

Here's a video of how this ratio applies to a recent natural beauty contest winner.

why some people are more beautiful than others or born into genetically more beautiful families than other?

Genetic luck.

why and how people want to be more beautiful through surgeries if beauty is really in the eye of the beholder?

Beauty opens many doors of opportunity and gives a decided advantage in life. No, beauty is not in the eye of the beholder, there is wide consensus of what is beautiful and it is based on symmetry and the Golden ratio.

[media=]

• Like 1

Have you ever noticed how really ugly guys are always with the cutest chicks? What's that about?

• Like 3

Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone truly special to catch your heart.

:)

The love of true beauty is the beauty of true love.

• Like 2

Really, i always thought there is some sort of a key to understanding everything better through understanding what beauty really is. it is a human thing to be fascinated with beauty, it feels like it is related with emotions which are rather subjective but it is on the other hand related with mathematics and the mathematics is the language of science. it is almost like through understanding of beauty there is going to be a firmer bridge from human psyche and science.

As others have said, beauty is symmetry, health and the golden ratio.

being old contradicts health? because beauty is always associated with youth. why is that also?

Edited by thyra

As others have said, beauty is symmetry, health and the golden ratio.

That's a few angles at it.

But there are others. For example, I personally find vulnerability beautiful. There can be many more examples like this.

being old contradicts health? because beauty is always associated with youth. why is that also?

It's not.

It's not.

this wasnt very informative. people try to seem young and beauty is more associated with youth than with old. is it because old is not considered healthy enough or because of some other reason?

That's a few angles at it.

But there are others. For example, I personally find vulnerability beautiful. There can be many more examples like this.

I more mean and question physical beauty :) vulnerability is more like a personality aspect of a person.

It's just a sexual thing. Nothing new here.

• Like 3

It's about having the best resources for offspring, or the best offspring even though we may not know it.

Besides Rod Serling answered this decades ago.

I think beauty should be defined on what's on the inside, rather than the outside.

Someone could be gorgeous, but an appsoluetly horrible person, but then someone could be ugly but be the nicest person ever.

I think actually, that physical beauty relates to inner beauty as well. Maybe gorgeous people have had everything handed to them, and because of their beauty never really had rejection or social problems, so they might become snobby, while an ugly person would have had problems all their life and known rejection, so they become more tempered and nicer.

Or you know, none of that may have worked, so you have an ugly mean person, and a super nice gorgeous person :P

Edited by Nighthawk9653

I guess we're talking about human physical beauty here ... but a lot of things can be beautiful? Nature, an act of kindness , a song, a painting, an idea, understanding ... almost anything and everything can be beautiful sometimes? Stating the obvious i guess....

I was going to say something in defense of being Old ,,, versus the attributes of youth, but i forgot what it was.

Edited by lightly

It's about having the best resources for offspring, or the best offspring even though we may not know it.

Besides Rod Serling answered this decades ago.

[media=]

[/media]

but some great scientists artists and politicians were not at all beautiful, actually known to be ugly but they could make great off springs,too.how do we get this belief that beauty is more associated with better off springs?

(i couldnt watch the video my pc is broke and isnt giving out the sound thanks nonetheless :)

Edited by thyra

http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Chinese-man-divorces-and-sues-wife-over-ugly-children-And-wins/227669.htm mwuahahahhahahah read this ! is this true love or what ? mwuahahahah well i qeuss you can only find true beauty when you have kids hahahaahahahah
  • Like 2

http://entertainment...wins/227669.htm mwuahahahhahahah read this ! is this true love or what ? mwuahahahah well i qeuss you can only find true beauty when you have kids hahahaahahahah

Oh what a web we weave....

Beauty is age-dependent. For the young, it largely means physical attractiveness (which, as has been pointed out depends a lot on the symmetry of features, but also on the apparent perception of 'reproductive fitness') but as the person ages the concept of beauty becomes less focussed on the external and more on the inner features - mind and personality.

That's not to say older (more mature) people do not appreciate physical attractiveness, it simply isn't as large a part of their concept of beauty as with the young.

• Like 1

Ya, older people get blurry so we still look pretty good.