Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lake Monsters of America

Still Waters

People love to fill in mysterious areas of nature with myths of monsters. Early maps had voids of knowledge marked with warnings that "Here be Dragons," sasquatches are believed to be prowling the thick forests, and legends tell of strange creatures that might be concealed beneath the surface of our lakes. Here we present our map of American lake monsters showing the spread of cryptids that might be lurking in the depths of the waters of the United States.

http://www.atlasobsc...n-lake-monsters

• Like 2

Thats it, they can not find bigfoot on land, so with this info....pictures supplied.....we are going to have a whole new set of youtube vids, all taken by the lakes.

Where's Man Bear Pig's swimming hole?

• Like 1

Sightings of a Lake Erie creature are few and far between acc to what I just looked up. Yet, Lake Erie is relatively shallow with a a mean depth of 62 feet (210 feet at its deepest) and has a lot of human activity on it from commercial to pleasure to industrial to the houses all along its shores. And having grow up on its bank and on its islands, I never heard any discussions about Bessie (even among us kids) nor heard of anyone who ever saw it.

Fred Snyder, a researcher with the Ohio Sea Grant, an organization that examines Great Lakes issues, said it is highly unlikely a monster is living in Lake Erie.

He noted that Loch Ness is old, while Lake Erie is a youngster, geologically speaking.

"A lot of people kind of assume, like most places in the world, it must be millions and millions of years old," he said. "It's not the case. The glaciers receded and the area stabilized about 12,000 years ago, which, geologically, is just yesterday.

"So the monster really can't be anything left over from the dinosaur days, because it's just too young."

Snyder also noted that no sightings were reported before the mid-1980s. He said he doubts that a big sea creature could have gotten in from the Atlantic Ocean because of the difficulties of navigating the St. Lawrence Seaway.

The sturgeon, Lake Erie's largest fish, can grow to 300 pounds and 10 feet in length, but it is on the endangered species list and is a bottom-dweller, Snyder said.

http://articles.lati...507_1_lake-erie

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

"He said he doubts that a big sea creature could have gotten in from the Atlantic Ocean because of the difficulties of navigating the St. Lawrence Seaway."

The St. Lawrence Seaway used to be much higher and wider. Although it seems it never reached Lake Erie, the close by Lake Ontario could have been colonised by some big sea creatures. And Lake Champlain (and its famous Champy) is prime candidate for some relic heavy weight creature.

350px-Champlain_Sea.png

"The sea lasted from about 13,000 years ago to about 10,000 years ago. It is estimated that the sea was as much as 150 metres (490 ft) above the level of today's Saint Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers. Modern evidence of the sea can be seen in the form of whale fossils, (belugas, fin whales, and bowhead whales) and marine shells[10] that have been found near the cities of Ottawa, Ontario, and Montreal, Quebec. There are also fossils of oceanic fish such as capelin. The Sea also left ancient shorelines in the former coastal regions, and the Leda clay deposits in areas of deeper water."

• Like 1

funny how there's nothing for lake superior, even though it's the largest lake in the u.s. why can't we have a lake monster?

funny how there's nothing for lake superior, even though it's the largest lake in the u.s. why can't we have a lake monster?

Your area must have a higher than normal concentration of reason and common sense than the other places

• Like 3

You'll have to take this matter into your own hands, seaturtlehorsesnake. Find some deadwood, put it in the lake and take a not so clear picture. :tu:

• Like 3

Theres Pressie.. and Mishipeshu the underwater panther is a Lake Superior critter as well as Lake Huron. There's also some sort of Ugly Merman, though he shows up in other lakes too.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

I`m sure in time you will have, but props have to made first.

• Like 2

Actually Lake Superior is allegedly home to Pressie,which is supposedly a very large eel like creature. One guy had an rather uncomfortable close encounter with this beastie according to this interview.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

ok, but pressie is a terrible name for our monster! (i guess it's named for presque isle river, but still). no one's going to take it seriously if it just sounds like we copied the loch ness monster.

i got to get one this.

Yeah Pressie does sound lame for a lake monster name. It should be something cool like Superiorsaurus or something.

ok, but pressie is a terrible name for our monster! (i guess it's named for presque isle river, but still). no one's going to take it seriously if it just sounds like we copied the loch ness monster.

Maybe Superiessie?

You'll have to take this matter into your own hands, seaturtlehorsesnake. Find some deadwood, put it in the lake and take a not so clear picture. :tu:

Don't forget to put a small RC toy on it to make splashes in the water. Then allow the RC Controller to appear in the video briefly and then deny it.

People love to fill in mysterious areas of nature with myths of monsters. Early maps had voids of knowledge marked with warnings that "Here be Dragons," sasquatches are believed to be prowling the thick forests, and legends tell of strange creatures that might be concealed beneath the surface of our lakes. Here we present our map of American lake monsters showing the spread of cryptids that might be lurking in the depths of the waters of the United States.

http://www.atlasobsc...n-lake-monsters

That is a cool poster. Edited by DieChecker

Shouldn't Lake Thunderbird have a thunderbird for a monster instead of an octopus? That would be like telling someone to be wary of Bigfoot Creek, it's terrorized by jackalopes!

• Like 2

instead of "pressie", i think we should take a page from calvin and hobbes and call it the monstrous killer death eel!

now that's a lake monster name.

• Like 1

There's a Native American legend about a giant lake sturgeon in Lake Superior. Also, there's a few stories about mermaids (most from Canadian waters as I recall). I read a book that described one of the alleged mermaid sightings; I seem to recall that someone actually took the oath in court and claimed he saw a mermaid (this was the 19th century, perhaps). It's been a while since I've read the stories, so I could be a bit fuzzy on the details. I love the lake legend stories, but stories are all that they are.