Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prof Hawking fan tries to prove time travel

Still Waters

A Stephen Hawking fan hopes to prove time travel is possible by sending out invitations to a party held by the physicist - four years ago.

Prof Hawking staged the event for time travellers on June 28, 2009 but did not publicise it until four years later.

http://www.telegraph...nt-in-past.html

His theory was that anyone who turned up must have read about the party in the future - although no-one attended the do.

How much more evidence do they need?

Well i suppose they can only keep trying, as long as the "end of the world" does not stand in their way.

• Like 2

His theory was that anyone who turned up must have read about the party in the future - although no-one attended the do.

Well i suppose they can only keep trying, as long as the "end of the world" does not stand in their way.

Ahh. A ragnarok reference. Thanks for that FTR. And a merry Ragnarok.
  • Like 1

I really am surprised at the ABC nature of Hawkins time travel experiments.

Lets suppose I'm born in 1950. In the year 2000 I travel to the past and kill my mother before my father meets her. The result is I still continue to exist and the reason for that is I've not changed the past but I've created a time loop. When time is then reversed I go back around the time loop in which I killed my mother and then back to my birth in 1950.

Hawkins seems to be missing the point that the future time traveller would be time looping to meet him not going back alone a linear time line.

• Like 1

Ahh. A ragnarok reference. Thanks for that FTR. And a merry Ragnarok.

Your welcome...

Your invite will be coming early, due to Ragnarok. Do not be late and bring a bottle...................the date for the party is: 01.01.1782. :tu:

Lets suppose I'm born in 1950. In the year 2000 I travel to the past and kill my mother before my father meets her. The result is I still continue to exist and the reason for that is I've not changed the past but I've created a time loop. When time is then reversed I go back around the time loop in which I killed my mother and then back to my birth in 1950.

Hawkins seems to be missing the point that the future time traveller would be time looping to meet him not going back alone a linear time line.

I am not sure, but doubt the likes of Edmund Kemper are on the invite list.

What do you mean no one showed up? I was there along with several others. The party was a drag, Stephen isn't much of a dancer. The band sucked....food was OK.

But all most people did was talk about the time dynamics of their time machines and how theirs was better than everyone else's there. One of the guys swung by 1930 and picked up Albert Einstein, b it all he wanted to do was ride his bycycle.

If you go back in time, and some event changing things, dont you end up in a alternative timeline?

• 9 months later...

Hawkins seems to be missing the point that the future time travel would be time looping to meet him not going back alone a linear time line.

I love the idea of time travel, tho I feel it is impossible. Firstly, this is mainly because I do not feel time is a real thing, I think it is only the medium in which we explain change. I feel that anything you are doing now, is now.. there is no past, present per say that exist independent of the present.. If 'time travel' is possible, i do not feel you would be in the actually time that that time took place. I would assume you are in a new time. I come to this conclusion based on the following;

First Law of thermodynamics: Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed/converted.

QM Theory: Wave-Particle Duality: we see here that Matter is just another form of energy

Therefore your matter/energy that you consist of, would have been arranged in some form of energy/matter at the time, therefore something would be missing from the past that you are visiting, making it by default, not the actual past you intended to visit, but another form of that past. therefore anything you do, will not alter the present/future, because by being in the past, you have already altered that time. Not sure if this is what you are meaning if a time loop?

Time is still Linear this way. the only difference is how the universe is arranged in each 'time period'

Edited by The Id3al Experience

For them to go back in time, accepting the invite to the party would effectively be changing the past for them, creating an alternative timeline. Think about it. This is an media event, best way to drastically change the past is to prove the existence of time travel to everyone on the damn planet. So many variables would and could go wrong.

A Stephen Hawking fan hopes to prove time travel is possible by sending out invitations to a party held by the physicist - four years ago.

Prof Hawking staged the event for time travellers on June 28, 2009 but did not publicise it until four years later.

Never pass through his mind that maybe no-one wanted to go to his party?

And jokes apart, this is a biased experiment.

It seems he didn't publicized the party enough, since it took 5 years and a fan to make it known to the public.

Maybe who could've gone to the party didn't read about it.

Maybe he wasn't invited.

Maybe he didn't (or won't) care.