Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legends revisited: the Mary Celeste

UM-Bot

Or, they stopped at an island and improperly anchored/moored the ship and it floated away on them, leaving them stranded.

Brian Dunning did a episode on the Mary Celeste a couple of years ago. Podcast and transcript available at the linke:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4289

I lean towards the alcohol theory myself. The information about the 9 empty barrels and the fact that they were the wrong types of barrels for carrying liquids is pretty significant.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Ok. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really messed up with this. His account is as real as Sherlock Holmes. Fiction based on fact. Here are some facts which I forget the source, sorry.

Some barrels had popped. The captain was a teetotaller. So they panicked and got into a lifeboat. There was an axe mark where the rope was cut to the life boat on the gunwale, big mistake but he had never transported alcohol before. The ship sailed faster than they could row. No mystery, just a boof head captain, of which there are dozens in history such as the captains of the Batavia, Costa Concordia, Titanic Etc Etc.

Edited by Chooky88
  • Like 1