Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Getting closer to finding ET

Spacenut56

Very excited by this news:

The theory that there may be life on other planets both in our solar system and beyond seems to gain more credibility on an almost weekly basis. The latest reports from the Hubble telescope indicate that definite signs of water have been discovered on five exoplanets.

Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3 is one of the few telescopes on Earth that are capable of distinguishing details from exoplanets, the term for planets found outside of our solar system, located many trillions of miles away. Water signatures have been identified in the atmospheres of the five planets, which are of a kind known as "hot Jupiters", massive spheres that remain in close orbit with their anchoring stars. The planets in question have the rather uninspiring titles of WASP-17b, HD209458b, WASP-12b, WASP-19b and XO-1b.WASP-17b is of particular interest to scientists, as it is described as having an "especially puffed-up atmosphere".

Water is not thought to be an uncommon feature in exoplanet atmospheres, and this is not the first time that a sniff of H2O has been detected in distant worlds, but the new study heralds a breakthrough in terms of analysis, as the scientists have been able to measure and compare profiles of the molecule in detail across multiple alien worlds. The important discovery was made by two teams of scientists, and were part of a census of exoplanet atmospheres led by L. Drake Deming of the University of Maryland in College Park.

Avi Mandell, a planetary scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said: "We're very confident that we see a water signature for multiple planets. This work really opens the door for comparing how much water is present in atmospheres on different kinds of exoplanets, for example hotter versus cooler ones."

Mandell's study was published this week in The Astrophysical Journal, following Deming's paper which was published in the same journal in September.

The powerful camera used in the studies provided information from infrared wavelengths which were analysed to detect the presence of water. Researchers were able to identify the gases in the planets' atmospheres by assessing which wavelengths of their star's light was transmitted and which were partially absorbed. During their orbit, exoplanets block off small amounts of light emitted by their host star, so by carefully measuring how much light is blocked off, scientists can work out the size of the planet. The composition of the planets can also affect their interaction with the light as different molecules absorb different wavelengths of light, so depending what they are made of, they will block out different parts of the light spectrum, enabling scientists to determine their structure.The process is extremely challenging, and it is only possible to collect the data if the planets are observed when they are passing in front of their stars. Consequently, fewer than 5 per cent of known exoplanets have been observed directly by astronomers.

Deming said: "To actually detect the atmosphere of an exoplanet is extraordinarily difficult. But we were able to pull out a very clear signal, and it is water."

The water signatures were not as significant as researchers had hoped, but this is thought to be because the five planets are surrounded by a cloud of dust which could affect results.

"These studies, combined with other Hubble observations, are showing us that there are a surprisingly large number of systems for which the signal of water is either attenuated or completely absent," Heather Knutson of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, a co-author on Deming's paper, said in a statement. "This suggests that cloudy or hazy atmospheres may in fact be rather common for hot Jupiters."

So the potential for extra-terrestrial life to exist elsewhere in the Universe is now being tentatively confirmed by science, albeit in slow, shuffling steps. Nevertheless, this research marks a definite step forward in the search, and you can be sure that Unknown Country will bring you news of any developments on this planet, and beyond...

To join our unique community, subscribe today!

If the media player does not display, please install the Flash plugin

Find stories like this:

[/url]

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services

cta_subscriber_600_210_b.png

News by Subject

911 animals anthrax asteroidbees bigfoot birds braincancer cell phone chinachristmas climate change crop circlesdiary dna droughtearthquake fish flu foodhurricane internet iraqjournal mars money moonnasa obesity oil oil shortagepolitics poll pollutionprehistoric recession seti sexsmoking solar space spyingsun terrorism ufo ufosvolcano war william henry

News Archive

Read the original source:http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/step-forward-search-et#ixzz2mXb6O9zL

• Like 2

I believe that going by known averages you can say that life may not be uncommon but all indications are that inteligent life is rare in the extreme.

• Like 1

I believe that going by known averages you can say that life may not be uncommon but all indications are that inteligent life is rare in the extreme.

all indications? the only sample we have to go on is one planet out of eight (or nine). And that's even if we assume that it has to be restricted to "earthlike" planets, which is really an assumption based on the evidence we've been able to study so far. Since that chap from SETA said the other day that they reckon that perhaps 80% of all stars have at least one Planet, I don't know how anyone can draw assumptions like that.;

• Like 4

I mean, the Drake equation and that other one that people like to use when they want to insist, for whatever reason, that life must be very very rare (and it would be interesting to speculate why people seem to want to insist so strongly that it is) is really based entirely on one assumption built on another, isn't it. The point is that all indications can't predict something like this, becuase it's basically all guesswork based on a sample that's far too small to be really scientific.

• Like 2

and when they will see something , those in charge with analyzing images would say are natural formations, methane lakes, odd natural occuring phenomenons, meteorites, craters, dunes, lenticular clouds, etc... :-)

The reason of course is always finding extraterestrial life for funding purposes. In the same time is dman hard to see something you don't believe in ... just sayin....

Goos initiative though I must say... once again... or all over again ...

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Water does not mean life, it means life maybe can be supported. The largest body of water in space we have detected is circling a black hole, and in another case, a young Star is producing jet like blasts of water from it's poles. Science believe all young Suns may do this, is that where Earth's water came from??

LINK - Baby Star Blasts Jets of Water Into Space

ISNS)—Astronomers have found a nascent star 750 light years from earth that shoots colossal jets of water—a cosmic fire hose—out its poles in bullet-like pulses.

In a process that almost defies adjectives and analogies, each jet of water is the equivalent of a hundred million times the water flowing through the Amazon River every second and the speed of the jet is the equivalent of 80 times the muzzle velocity of an AK-47 assault rifle.

The blast creates huge shockwaves around the star and the process may be responsible for sprinkling the universe with water.

And it could go on for a thousand years in each star. Astronomers think all baby stars go through this process as they form, and that our sun did it too once.

LINK - Astronomers Find Largest, Most Distant Reservoir of Water

Two teams of astronomers have discovered the largest and farthest reservoir of water ever detected in the universe. The water, equivalent to 140 trillion times all the water in the world's ocean, surrounds a huge, feeding black hole, called a quasar, more than 12 billion light-years away.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

and when they will see something , those in charge with analyzing images would say are natural formations, methane lakes, odd natural occuring phenomenons, meteorites, craters, dunes, lenticular clouds, etc... :-)

The reason of course is always finding extraterestrial life for funding purposes. In the same time is dman hard to see something you don't believe in ... just sayin....

Goos initiative though I must say... once again... or all over again ...

You think the people who put these missions together, design the equipment, and study the planet are not likely to be right, but some anaoymous amature who wants to find aliens and scanned photos for hours (when the experts put YEARS into the same effort) to come up with an anomalous shape which they determine IS life would be better qualified to call these shots do you?

• Like 2

I mean, the Drake equation and that other one that people like to use when they want to insist, for whatever reason, that life must be very very rare (and it would be interesting to speculate why people seem to want to insist so strongly that it is) is really based entirely on one assumption built on another, isn't it. The point is that all indications can't predict something like this, becuase it's basically all guesswork based on a sample that's far too small to be really scientific.

Because it is a thought experiment, and at least draws on some known parameters, unlike just making up crap. For all the logic used in the ETH, Flying Saucers might just as well be flown by Purple mini Dragons.

I suppose it more the defining line between thinkers and dreamers, rather than proof of what to expect from ET.

• Like 1

You think the people who put these missions together, design the equipment, and study the planet are not likely to be right, but some anaoymous amature who wants to find aliens and scanned photos for hours (when the experts put YEARS into the same effort) to come up with an anomalous shape which they determine IS life would be better qualified to call these shots do you?

From what i've seen they are lacking much requiring enthusiasm. In my opinion to them the plan , strategy and finalizing a product is more important than the results. In fact the experiment itself is the target not the results. It's more about pride !

From what i've seen they are lacking much requiring enthusiasm. In my opinion to them the plan , strategy and finalizing a product is more important than the results. In fact the experiment itself is the target not the results. It's more about pride !

The experiment is indeed of paramount importance because future missions rely upon those very results.

Claims like the face of Mars being a structure are just plain embarrassing to us as a species. That sort of enthusiasm makes the entire species look like morons, because it is hard to believe that anyone on this planet could be stupid enough to believe insane claims like that. That someone is willing to make them up, and sell them is bad enough, but the idiocy is not restricted to a single person in that instance.

• Like 1

The experiment is indeed of paramount importance because future missions rely upon those very results.

Claims like the face of Mars being a structure are just plain embarrassing to us as a species. That sort of enthusiasm makes the entire species look like morons, because it is hard to believe that anyone on this planet could be stupid enough to believe insane claims like that. That someone is willing to make them up, and sell them is bad enough, but the idiocy is not restricted to a single person in that instance.

Well i agree with this actually ...

THeres so much for us to see & Learn in our Universe,Lie the Star cluster ch-0tooalate 99 ITs been told that it Shoots out streams of molten Dark matter yet to be proven as THe elusive Molten Chocolate Fountain ! I cant wait to get there and fly my Starship right thru it ! Just imagine the Clean up party we will have ! :clap: Happy Holidays !

Well i agree with this actually ...

Would I lie to you??

THeres so much for us to see & Learn in our Universe,Lie the Star cluster ch-0tooalate 99 ITs been told that it Shoots out streams of molten Dark matter yet to be proven as THe elusive Molten Chocolate Fountain ! I cant wait to get there and fly my Starship right thru it ! Just imagine the Clean up party we will have ! :clap: Happy Holidays !

My wife wants the planet made of diamond.......

LINK - Astronomers find planet made of diamond

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Because it is a thought experiment, and at least draws on some known parameters, unlike just making up crap. For all the logic used in the ETH, Flying Saucers might just as well be flown by Purple mini Dragons.

I suppose it more the defining line between thinkers and dreamers, rather than proof of what to expect from ET.

Why bring the ETH and Flying Saucers into it? Suggesting that life might not be as uncommon as some seem to like to think doesn't have to be the same as believing that they're visiting this planet, need it?

...Astronomers have found a nascent star 750 light years from earth that shoots colossal jets of water—a cosmic fire hose—out its poles in bullet-like pulses.

I would like to add some facts here as the combination star/water may lead to confusions (star=sun=hot+water=huh!). The object mentioned (L1448-MM) is a proto star class 0. A proto star is described as the gravitation center within a molecular cloud that’s in the phase of compression. At this stage, the process of hydrogen burning hadn´t started already, this process will follow at a later stage of development of the system when the exponential raise of pressure within the center has reached the value to start the hydrogen burning process. The temperature of a proto star class 0 is some 10K, so it´s quite cool compared to or sun, havening approx. 6300K surface temperature.

(smart a** mode off)

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

I presume when they say its expelling "water" what they mean is water molecules (not so hot to be ionized but not in liquid form).

• Like 1

Why bring the ETH and Flying Saucers into it? Suggesting that life might not be as uncommon as some seem to like to think doesn't have to be the same as believing that they're visiting this planet, need it?

Ohh, you mean why do people insist it actually answers something or supports a conclusion?

I agree with you in the regard, it's not actual proof of anything, if we had the factors to apply to the entire equation, we would not need it anyway.