Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The World’s Largest Mega-Ship Launches

Still Waters

Take the Empire State Building, lay it on the ground and add another 150 feet. Then put it out to sea. That's essentially what Shell did today with the launch of the 1,601-foot Prelude mega-ship.

At 600,000 tons and 243 feet wide, when the Prelude left its dry dock in South Korea after a year-long build, it unseated the Emma Maersk (1,302 feet) as the world's largest ship.

http://www.wired.com...s-largest-ship/

• Like 1

That's one big ugly ship.

For a moment I was afraid it was yet another cruise ship destined to leave passengers stranded in the middle of nowhere, or worse, sink.

I wouldn't class this as a ship,more of a floating natural gas factory,which is anchored permantly to the sea bed,much like oil rigs are. A ship is a vehicle carrying goods or passengers from port to port. Emma Maersk is still Queen of the seas.

I'd demand a recount if I was the Emma Maersk. It's more platform than ship, no?

No, it is an actual ship, but it is pretty much going to spend its entire life moored in one location.

I'd demand a recount if I was the Emma Maersk. It's more platform than ship, no?

Yes calling it a ship is a stretch. It's referred to by Shell exclusively as a "facility". It will be towed to its location and permanently moored there for 20-25 years. A stationary platform like any other platform, except its design is far more reminiscent of a ship's hull.