Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coffins beneath school playground

BiffSplitkins

A disturbing discovery has been made under an elementary school playground in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Water Department crews doing excavation work behind William Dick Elementary School, 2498 W. Diamond St., unearthed several coffins and headstones Wednesday afternoon.

READ MORE

headstones.jpg

• Like 1

My old secondary school also had coffins "discovered" under the playground, they were the dead from the plague, there was a large mound which "housed" the bulk of the bodies and there is a door at the mound which is completely sealed.

The thing is, like this school in Philidelphia, they had already concreted over that area to build the playground years previously, someone knew it was there and decided to build on top of it, so its no surprise they were there, shame it was not relayed to the next set of builders....shame it was build on in the first place.

• Like 2

Childrens' reaction - "COOL!"

Parents' reaction - "OMFG NOOOOOO!"

• Like 4

That's pretty. . .cool.

• Like 1

When you don't care what might've been there before you built your school and accompanying playground, you make discoveries like this long after anyone remembers what was there first.

• Like 2

I know where the owners of a new house will have a surprise if they ever put in an underground pool where they currently have their childrens swingset.The contractor that built the house snapped over the tombstones, and buried them from a small family plot from the 1800's. :no:

I saw this on the news last night. The cemetery has graves going from the mid 1800's until 1951 when the city bought the land. They said most of the graves had been moved but I guess not all.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9348860

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

My hometown built a library in the early 1900's and found a cemetery from the 1700's. Of course, now it has the reputation of being haunted. Just moved from town not a year ago and have been there many times. There is a grave by the door which is the remains of William Parsons, who laid out the street plans for the early town. The second is the grave of Mary Morgan who owned an inn on what is now called Morgan's Hill. There is also a large vault carved into the hill behind the library that contains the remains of the 26 decedents that were not claimed or could not be identified. This happens a lot but Philly's cemetery wasn't all that old.

http://www.hauntedho...ton_library.htm

Edited by susieice

That's funny because the pics of the graves show that they were moved again when the new addition was built. I never saw anything in all my years of going there, since childhood.

It's usable land, I don't see the problem.

There is actually no problem, it happens all he time.

But this is a great area for the " I`ve seen a ghost, is this it? what do you think? look at this photo, is this dot a ghost? " youtube enthusiasts. :tu:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't the dead that it would bother; it would be their relatives who can never visit the graves. Older people like me prefer to have a tangible place to mourn, not "the wind" or something. If they have been there since the 1800s, it won't bother people as much, but I doubt that people would want their kids to be digging in the sandbox at school and have bones popping out of the sand willy-nilly, either.