Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't Need a Gun, Get a Dog...

CRYSiiSx2

Um, the dog got shot?

Thankfully the dog will survive. It makes you wonder what these guys would have done had the owner not been armed.

• Like 1

It was no damn ankle biter either, pit bull. Having a dog around isn't enough for protecting your home...

• Like 1

Why doesn't anyone talk about the recidivism rates and how our justice system and jails just make better criminals rather than reform them?

Not saying that it would suddenly make guns unless or anything, just maybe reduce violent crimes and over reliance on guns.

It seems you can only have the stance of for or against guns.

• Like 3

I'm not a gun guy...I don't like them, that being said

The problem has never been guns, people did a fine job of comitting horrible acts on each other long before we learned how to make small explosions propel pieces of metal at each other.

Mental illness is misunderstood, the desperation someone feels when they cant provide for their family, is misunderstood, fear is misunderstood, society has a basic flaw in us to look at the thing used to do something horrible, than to figure out the reason behind it.

Because, understanding someone's motivation means wee might have to accept that the system, and by extention, we, all of us, failed them as human beings.

Rather than risk needing to be introspective, it's easier to pain guns as horrible bad things.

• Like 1

Guns are horrible things; they are instruments of death and serve no other function. That is not to say there are not times when one needs to have such a thing, but that doesn't mean one psychologically try to hide from its true nature.

• Like 2

If that linebacker for the Chiefs had had a dog he and his girlfriend might still be alive

Never will the American people be neglected their right to bear arms. As much as the anti-gun, and people of a foreign nation believe it would better our statistics, it won't happen. Perhaps we should begin to take a different approach? In my opinion, why does one who kills another (or others) have the right to live and rot away in a cell for the rest of their life, all the while the victim is six feet deep, where is the equality in that? Death Penalty should be in every state. Kill another, be killed. Self defense would be a different story, obviously. If you agree let me know! I'm also up for debates, so, if you disagree just state your opinion. =D

Americans will go on killing each other and their children. Such is the strength of their fervor.

Americans will go on killing each other and their children. Such is the strength of their fervor.

You act as if your people are of complete innocence and have never committed mass murder. I'd like to call bulls**t. A gun isn't needed to get the job done, although making their insane task somewhat easier, it's possible without. Almost four years ago in Tokyo, Japan there was a 27 year old man who had went on the bus and stabbed over 11 people. Sure, nobody died, but had this man truly used his brain he could have easily stabbed each and every one in their throats. Look at the middle-east. Adults and children strapping themselves with bombs and executing a kamikaze style way out.

Edited by Collateral Damage

Some Americans... not everyone in America thinks guns should be used to solve problems.

Some Americans... not everyone in America thinks guns should be used to solve problems.

Not in Frank's eyes. He truly believes we are all the same. So it would seem, judging by past posts. What I love most is his idea of how his country is in some way superior to ours.

Americans will go on killing each other; it is not the people, it is the law they live under.

• Like 2

Not in Frank's eyes. He truly believes we are all the same. So it would seem, judging by past posts. What I love most is his idea of how his country is in some way superior to ours.

Normally I just peruse these kind of threads however I don't wish to be lumped together with gun violence merely based on my nationality. I own guns sure, though I consider myself a pretty responsible owner and my guns are used only for hunting or sport... but not sport hunting (hunt for food, not trophies).

You act as if your people are of complete innocence and have never committed mass murder. I'd like to call bulls**t. A gun isn't needed to get the job done, although making their insane task somewhat easier, it's possible without. Almost four years ago in Tokyo, Japan there was a 27 year old man who had went on the bus and stabbed over 11 people. Sure, nobody died, but had this man truly used his brain he could have easily stabbed each and every one in their throats. Look at the middle-east. Adults and children strapping themselves with bombs and executing a kamikaze style way out.

You are uninformed (wow what a surprise) about Asians if you use Japanese and an example as "my people," not that there is anything wrong with Japanese -- they are generally more civilized than you seem to be. One also has to ask how many might have died if he had had easy access to guns.

Americans will go on killing each other; it is not the people, it is the law they live under.

Care to explain a bit more?

You are uninformed (wow what a surprise) about Asians if you use Japanese and an example as "my people," not that there is anything wrong with Japanese -- they are generally more civilized than you seem to be. One also has to ask how many might have died if he had had easy access to guns.

You're the one misinformed, bud. I wasn't calling you Japanese whatsoever. It was an example of a violent act committed that could have been a mass murder without the use of a gun. You're Vietnamese, am I correct? I am finding it extremely hard to not believe you're just a punk with an ego shoved so far up your own ass it's shining out of your mouth.

The presence of a gun turns a family quarrel into a murder; an episode of depression into a suicide; an Alzheimer's or other confused intruder into a dead victim; a curious child into a dead child. The advanced societies of this world have long ago made guns by private individuals (except hunting rifles) almost impossible to get -- both legally and illegally. To work it has to be a universal law.

• Like 2

I don't know, I think it's the people. There are many thousands of gun owners who obey the current laws and never feel the need to use a gun against a fellow man.

• Like 2

I don't know, I think it's the people. There are many thousands of gun owners who obey the current laws and never feel the need to use a gun against a fellow man.

I will say that is possible although I wonder about anyone who feels they need a gun. Still, the problem is that when there are lots of guns around, it is not possible to keep them out of the hands of criminals. They get sold or stolen or whatever.

Having a gun may make some people feel safer, although I think it is mostly ego and a sense of power, but the reality is the opposite and a gun merely makes you more likely to end up dead. There are a few cases of merchants in dangerous neighborhoods where an exception to this sort of rule might be made, but that is about it.

The presence of a gun turns a family quarrel into a murder; an episode of depression into a suicide; an Alzheimer's or other confused intruder into a dead victim; a curious child into a dead child. The advanced societies of this world have long ago made guns by private individuals (except hunting rifles) almost impossible to get -- both legally and illegally. To work it has to be a universal law.

The presence of a gun does not turn a family quarrel into a murder. My family has had its fair share of arguments, and they have gotten quite big at times, never did my father or mother go into their safe and get one of their guns. I have no idea how you can just assume such things. These mass murders are committed by mentally ill people and not law abiding citizens. What do I know, though? I'm far from being civilized.

• Like 1

You are denying the reality that guns escalate violence into deadly violence; this is well known and just simply common sense.

Personal stories is all you have to offer. We see them all the time on these boards to "prove" all kinds of crazy things.

You are denying the reality that guns escalate violence into deadly violence; this is well known and just simply common sense.

Personal stories is all you have to offer. We see them all the time on these boards to "prove" all kinds of crazy things.

I'm getting extremely tired of you attempting to belittle me, Frank. Personal stories aren't all I have to offer, considering I only gave one, since you had the audacity to bring up family arguments leading to murder via firearm. You are ignoring the fact that a killer's motive is anything but your average everyday violence. Nope. It's deadly (A killer, Frank. killer - derp.) violence, with or without a gun, whether you want to admit it or not, kid.

Never will the American people be neglected their right to bear arms. As much as the anti-gun, and people of a foreign nation believe it would better our statistics, it won't happen. Perhaps we should begin to take a different approach? In my opinion, why does one who kills another (or others) have the right to live and rot away in a cell for the rest of their life, all the while the victim is six feet deep, where is the equality in that? Death Penalty should be in every state. Kill another, be killed. Self defense would be a different story, obviously. If you agree let me know! I'm also up for debates, so, if you disagree just state your opinion. =D

The state should not be in the business of taking lives. The death penalty is no deterrent. If it was Texas, which executes more people than any other would have a much lower murder rate. Though some cases are so heinous that death would seem the only possible punishment. If death is the only punishment for any murder, I think it would lead to more loss of life as no one would choose not to go out in a gun fight to avoid capture as surrender would have no advantage. Then there is the possibility of wrongful conviction. People are exonerated after many years in jail way too often to think this won't happen.
  • Like 1

I'm getting extremely tired of you attempting to belittle me, Frank. Personal stories aren't all I have to offer, considering I only gave one, since you had the audacity to bring up family arguments leading to murder via firearm. You are ignoring the fact that a killer's motive is anything but your average everyday violence. Nope. It's deadly (A killer, Frank. killer - derp.) violence, with or without a gun, whether you want to admit it or not, kid.

That is just wrong. Many would not be able to kill without a gun. Many would not have been able to kill as many without a gun. Many would have at least had a fighting chance had their killers not had guns. This is self evident. Edited by spacecowboy342
  • Like 1