Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Science Says “Smart People Are Idiots”

Phaeton80

Science Says "Smart People Are Idiots"

Right off the bat, congratulations on being in the top eighty percentile. We can read, and that puts us well ahead of the seven hundred million adults that can’t (I know the pictures are pretty, but focus. Focus) Let’s bump us up a few more pegs for knowing what a percentile is as well. You’re smart; you know it; and I’m so so sorry… turns out this is bad news. Smart people are idiots.

Source:

http://wondergressiv...ple-are-idiots/

Well I guess it just goes to show..

ignorance is strength!

(anda.. war is peace - 'peace through war', freedom is slavery - 'give up your liberty for freedom')

Yeay!

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length - source link added

there is a very old saying from China :

- being smart is sufficient, no need to be 'over/better than' smart -

~ :yes:

Well written, clever but misleading piece. The examples don't support the thesis, among other things.

Still, one has to wonder. Probably the "smartest" US Presidents in the twentieth century were Wilson, Nixon and Carter.

• Like 1

I still would like to know why the answer to the one about the lily pads covering half the lake is 47 instead of 24.

He spends all that time telling us what idiots we all are but doesn't bother to at least explain the first test question.

I like George Carlin's quote on the intelligence of our population, “Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!”

• Like 3

I still would like to know why the answer to the one about the lily pads covering half the lake is 47 instead of 24.

He spends all that time telling us what idiots we all are but doesn't bother to at least explain the first test question.

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

As the lily pads double in size daily, one would assume that the 47th day would be 50%, so 48th would be 100%

• Like 4

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

As the lily pads double in size daily, one would assume that the 47th day would be 50%, so 48th would be 100%

It's a more than a huge lake ill tell you that, much larger than one would think. If we start with a 4 inch lillipad we end up with a lake over 800,000 square miles. Which is actually much smaler than I originally assumed... How funny.

I loose my keys about twice a week... My wallet to. It's so bad my alarm clock goes off a half an hour earlier just as a contingency for the time I will take trying to find something.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 3

It's similar to the puzzle of the frog trying to get out of a hole ... every day three feet and drops a feet when it sleeps ...

Guess I'm an idiot for answering :D

• Like 1

Hands on experience and applying the knowledge that one learns is the key to the development of intelligence.

Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it'll always work in the real world.

• Like 4

this part may be true:

"The more we attempt to know ourselves, the less we actually understand."

I've experienced this myself, but that doesn't stop the drive from within us to do so. I cannot rightly tell my mind to stop trying to understand things and then follow that instruction. All in all I think it is better to understand why we do the things we do. Even if it doesn't stop us from answering questions incorrectly or have a visible effect on our day to day split decisions. I do think in the long haul our subconscious begins to catch up or evolve as we ponder these things. On a big picture level it is better to have a good view of yourself, other individuals and society, well at least as much as you can. On a day to day stupidity level, I guess it's always fun to laugh at yourself.

• Like 3

recommended reading

"Alan Watts THE BOOK On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are "

ABACUS edition published in 1973

by Sphere Books Ltd

30/32 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8JL

Reprinted 1976, 1977

First published in Great Britain

by Jonathan Cape Ltd 1969

Copyright © 1966 by Alan Watts

~

• Like 1

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

• Like 4

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

If you know you know nothing then you know something.
  • Like 4

Smart people can do some crazy things. Example, engineers designed to put the fuel pump of a vehicle inside the gas tank

because fuel pumps now days are designed for electronic ignition. When vehicles had carburetors the fuel pump was mechanical

and located outside the tank. This made easier access for the auto tech to remove and replace a faulty pump. Now the tech has to

remove the gas tank in order to get to the pump. The electronic pump maybe more efficient but it cost more labor hours to replace

if it malfunctions.

I'm gonna vent here: there is not a damn thing wrong with being smart.

I agree :)

Any one that thinks logically instead of just doing an impulsive but wrong math formula, is an idiot in the article?

The real idiots are the ones calling the others idiots LOL

• Like 1

of course, if the test questions themselves were designed by smart people, then we're all in trouble.

if you were to ask me if i considered myself smart or not, i'd have to answer "three".

• Like 3

Smart people can do some crazy things. Example, engineers designed to put the fuel pump of a vehicle inside the gas tank

because fuel pumps now days are designed for electronic ignition. When vehicles had carburetors the fuel pump was mechanical

and located outside the tank. This made easier access for the auto tech to remove and replace a faulty pump. Now the tech has to

remove the gas tank in order to get to the pump. The electronic pump maybe more efficient but it cost more labor hours to replace

if it malfunctions.

That's called profit smart to get people back in for maintenance with more hours :(

of course, if the test questions themselves were designed by smart people, then we're all in trouble.

if you were to ask me if i considered myself smart or not, i'd have to answer "three".

Like beauty is in the eye of the beholder so is smartness.

What good are questions to judge the way someone else thinks to judge if they are smart?

It's all about knowledge or personal gifts. whatever they happen to be, and how they are applied in real life.

I thought the trick question through and got 47 and am able to read but that doesn't mean I'm smarter than one who can't read or came up with 24!

All of us are idots in some areas and all of us smart in other areas. Smart is using what you have and if you don't, you're an idiot LOL

That's called profit smart to get people back in for maintenance with more hours :(

True. They make cars more complex so the "do it yourselfer" can't service their own car so they have to take it to a shop.

It's using intelligence to exploit others rather then using intelligence to help.

• Like 1

I'm gonna vent here: there is not a damn thing wrong with being smart.

Actually it is . Smart ppl always would see so many potential probabilities a way/decision can turn that they won't be able to know which one is the most appropriate rational handling procedure, making them looking like slow retards lacking spontaneity.

Edited by qxcontinuum