Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to go about investigating this further?

Amariel

In September, my boyfriend and I moved into our first home (yay). I had met the previous owner (a lovely elderly woman) who told me that she and her late husband built the house 20 years ago and that, before that, it was just farmland. Whilst we love our first home, we have had a couple of occurences that have led me to wonder whether we are alone here. Some of the more notable occurences include:

- One afternoon, my boyfriend was in the shower with the bathroom door closed. I was in the loungeroom down the other end of the house. I heard what sounded like my boyfriend calling my name. I yelled out 'what?' but got no response so I tried again. When I again got no response, I got up and went into the bathroom and asked him what he wanted. He looked at me weirdly and said that he didn't call me.

- We often hear odd noises around the house, but especially in the loungeroom, kitchen/dining and master bedroom. This occurs mostly during the day and sounds like knocks on the wall. We do have possums run across our roof, but this only occurs at night and the sound is very distinctive so we've pretty much ruled this out as the cause. It also sounds like someone is knocking on the front of our dishwasher when it isn't turned on.

- I frequently walk into our loungeroom from the kitchen and could swear that there is a man standing up against the wall beside the doorway (I see him out of the corner of my eye). This has happened at night and during the day, it doesn't happen every time I walk through the doorway and it has never happened to my boyfriend. The man is taller then me and my boyfriend and is wearing a blue shirt of some kind (possibly plaid) but I cannot discern any other features.

When I've heard the noises and seen the man, I have called out 'hello?' or 'is someone there?' but have never received a response. I was wondering whether this is something that I should investigate further or whether I'm just letting my imagination run away from me?

The medium / perception part where you see the man out of the corner of your eye and enough detail to know his height / clothing- this is kind of indicative of you perceiving through a blur/overlay between here and the astral level..which is kind of normal. For example if you were astral projecting you would see him in full view and the space of the house as it exists astrically too.

I would suggest cameras around the house that constantly record onto a computer, set it up till every week or so the data is wiped to ensure space doesn't become an issue, because if you do have an event, you'd go the computer directly and look back over the tape to see what happened, there'd be little chance of not catching an event on the computer.

that aside, keep your phone on you and if you see the man, take a recording.

As for the sounds, its an older house and at night those settle, still hiring a housing inspector might be a good idea, if he doesn't find anything that could cause the noises, then if you're of the mind to, perhaps a paranormal investigator, but check to make sure they aren't some group of amateurs just taking your money to sit around and claim every little noise is a ghost.

I'm personally not a believer, so my ideas are going to be tuned towards the mundane, if you think it's something supernatural, I'm sure in a bit someone will come along with more expertise in that area

The medium / perception part where you see the man out of the corner of your eye and enough detail to know his height / clothing- this is kind of indicative of you perceiving through a blur/overlay between here and the astral level..which is kind of normal. For example if you were astral projecting you would see him in full view and the space of the house as it exists astrically too.

So you think that this could actually be something? Part of me wonders whether it is the previous owner's husband? I know he died a few years ago (not sure exactly) but I don't know whether he was unwell or died suddenly, or whether he did in the house or not.

As for the sounds, its an older house and at night those settle, still hiring a housing inspector might be a good idea, if he doesn't find anything that could cause the noises, then if you're of the mind to, perhaps a paranormal investigator, but check to make sure they aren't some group of amateurs just taking your money to sit around and claim every little noise is a ghost.

I'm not sure how my boyfriend would feel about the cameras, especially because this would be quite expensive to set up, but I am considering setting up my webcam in the lounge room to see whether I pick anything up. As for the noises, we had a housing inspector come out before we made an offer on the house to make sure that everything was in order - perhaps it's worth me giving him a call to see whether he noticed anything that could cause these knocking noises.

Talk to him.

Tell him that you like the house, and are going to take care of it.

If it's a real attatched spirit? Then why not talk?

Worse case scenario is you're just talking to yourself. :su

• Like 1

I'm not sure how my boyfriend would feel about the cameras, especially because this would be quite expensive to set up, but I am considering setting up my webcam in the lounge room to see whether I pick anything up. As for the noises, we had a housing inspector come out before we made an offer on the house to make sure that everything was in order - perhaps it's worth me giving him a call to see whether he noticed anything that could cause these knocking noises.

The webcam sounds like an excellent idea.

as for the housing inspector, even houses that pass inspection will have settling noises as wood expands during the warmth of the day and contracts during at night when its cooler. But, yes I think double checking with him is an excellent idea.

When I've heard the noises and seen the man, I have called out 'hello?' or 'is someone there?' but have never received a response. I was wondering whether this is something that I should investigate further or whether I'm just letting my imagination run away from me?

Yes you are. And you have planted the seed now, it will just grow, unless you look at other things. Like, how our mind works. ( fear, unknown sounds, etc. )

• Like 2

What's the history of the former owners who lived there?

Did they dabble in the occult?

I have asked this before.

How can anyone get personal information from former home owners?....

Do you ask the realtors?....." Hey what did the former occupants eat, drink, and do for hobbies? "

Or do you go knock on doors and ask neighbors " Hey, what did you think of the Robinsons that lived here before us "

Maybe there are hidden cameras in all of our homes, so Ghost Hunters and such can see the history of former owners and renters?

No one can get information like this, and it cracks me up how the " ghost hunters " and crap pretend they can.

What people do in their homes is their business. It is not on some public record.

And the Occult ? .... That is Hollywood, not reality.

Maybe they dabbled in Christianity, and the former owners were Jewish, while the renters before were Muslim.

I just bought a Home, I wish I had seen this before that. I may have asked the realtor " I need to know the personal lives of the owners that lived here before "......

Just to see the look on her face.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

I was fortunate enough to meet the previous owner before she moved out (during my final inspection). She was an elderly lady (I would've estimated in her late 70's or early 80's) and, as I have stated above, she told me that her and her husband built the house 20 years ago (putting her in her late 50's or early 60's at the time). She has at least 2 children, but they were already moved out of home by the time the house was built. From our first inspections of the home, she had some religious paraphernalia around, which suggests to me that she was a Christian.

She also told me that shortly after building the home, her husband sub-divided the block and they gave the vacant land to their son. He has built a house and currently lives there with his wife (their kids are also grown and do not live at home). I have only met the son once and, due to the nature of his mother moving out (she had a bad fall and it was decided that she could no longer look after herself and was put into a nursing home), I do not feel comfortable pushing him for information. Maybe at a later date when all of this isn't so fresh.

I have asked this before.

How can anyone get personal information from former home owners?....

Do you ask the realtors?....." Hey what did the former occupants eat, drink, and do for hobbies? "

Or do you go knock on doors and ask neighbors " Hey, what did you think of the Robinsons that lived here before us "

Maybe there are hidden cameras in all of our homes, so Ghost Hunters and such can see the history of former owners and renters?

No one can get information like this, and it cracks me up how the " ghost hunters " and crap pretend they can.

What people do in their homes is their business. It is not on some public record.

And the Occult ? .... That is Hollywood, not reality.

Maybe they dabbled in Christianity, and the former owners were Jewish, while the renters before were Muslim.

I just bought a Home, I wish I had seen this before that. I may have asked the realtor " I need to know the personal lives of the owners that lived here before "......

Just to see the look on her face.

You'd be surprised how much information you can actually get from a realtor if you ask the right questions. Everything that I know about the previous owner having to move out came from the realtor, as well as other information that I haven't shared here. We have also met a lot of people in the street who've told us little bits and pieces about the previous owner (without us prompting them or even bringing it up).

Thank you for your vote that I am letting my imagination run away from me, it has been noted.

I was fortunate enough to meet the previous owner before she moved out (during my final inspection). She was an elderly lady (I would've estimated in her late 70's or early 80's) and, as I have stated above, she told me that her and her husband built the house 20 years ago (putting her in her late 50's or early 60's at the time). She has at least 2 children, but they were already moved out of home by the time the house was built. From our first inspections of the home, she had some religious paraphernalia around, which suggests to me that she was a Christian.

She also told me that shortly after building the home, her husband sub-divided the block and they gave the vacant land to their son. He has built a house and currently lives there with his wife (their kids are also grown and do not live at home). I have only met the son once and, due to the nature of his mother moving out (she had a bad fall and it was decided that she could no longer look after herself and was put into a nursing home), I do not feel comfortable pushing him for information. Maybe at a later date when all of this isn't so fresh.

You'd be surprised how much information you can actually get from a realtor if you ask the right questions. Everything that I know about the previous owner having to move out came from the realtor, as well as other information that I haven't shared here. We have also met a lot of people in the street who've told us little bits and pieces about the previous owner (without us prompting them or even bringing it up).

Thank you for your vote that I am letting my imagination run away from me, it has been noted.

My sister in Law is one of the top realtors in Reno, Nevada. My brother in law is a mortgage financer. I have sold, and purchased two homes through about 5 different realtors.

My wife worked with 2 realtors. I have 7 realtors I consider friends I can think of off the top of my head. They would all laugh at that. And, I do have common sense.

No one, and I repeat, no one, can tell you what anyone, you, me, anyone, are doing in their personal lives. They can tell you about the home, if it had any major damage, if it has been remodeled, power bills, water bills, etc. The home inspections will tell you anything else.

If you want to know about the people that lived there, and how they lived there lives, you would need to hire a private investigator. Realtors DO NOT have that information. Common sense should tell you that. How would one person know about say 20 different families personal lives? ( that is a very small number, if said realtor sold 3 homes in one year ).

No, Realtors do not have some magic crystal ball that tells them what the former occupents did in their own private home, in their own private lives. There is also no paperwork, or studies that realtors can go to to get that information.

Call a realtor in Safford, Arizona and ask them what the residents of 2260 Keisha lane do. If we are in the Occult, or what religion we are in. If we might be Wiccan, or maybe into Scientology.

That is my address. Let me know what they tell you, and I will let you know if they were right.

You can also try past homes, I believe 2 are for sale.

5429 Spanish Moss Dr., Sparks, Nevada

101 Highway 101, Langlois, Oregon.

Let me know, I am anxious to hear what these Psychic Realtors have to say.

P.S. I am not being a smart ass, I am just straight to the point, so do not take offense.

Also, sounds like you have neighbors that love to Gossip, and talk about other people. I wouldn't live there. Do you believe everything you hear from strangers?

Also, I would not push anyone for information you are asking. It really is none of your business.

As I said, and as I see, and as you are proving. A seed has been planted into your head, and you will be willing to look anywhere to make it paranormal. Even asking people you barley know for personal information, and even that will be hear say.

You may as well ask everyone if they have ever heard of the house being haunted. Heck, in that gossipy neighborhood, that might make for a real good time.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

So you think that this could actually be something? Part of me wonders whether it is the previous owner's husband? I know he died a few years ago (not sure exactly) but I don't know whether he was unwell or died suddenly, or whether he did in the house or not.

I have no reason to doubt what you are experiencing in regards to what you feel you are seeing and picking up. The sounds and noises aren't really where your focus should be imo. There is too many things it could be and no one can say what. I don't see the point in putting cameras up either as that is only going to record the physical level and what your perceiving is not on the physical level. But it's up to you. :tu:

My sister in Law is one of the top realtors in Reno, Nevada. My brother in law is a mortgage financer. I have sold, and purchased two homes through about 5 different realtors.

My wife worked with 2 realtors. I have 7 realtors I consider friends I can think of off the top of my head. They would all laugh at that. And, I do have common sense.

No one, and I repeat, no one, can tell you what anyone, you, me, anyone, are doing in their personal lives. They can tell you about the home, if it had any major damage, if it has been remodeled, power bills, water bills, etc. The home inspections will tell you anything else.

If you want to know about the people that lived there, and how they lived there lives, you would need to hire a private investigator. Realtors DO NOT have that information. Common sense should tell you that. How would one person know about say 20 different families personal lives? ( that is a very small number, if said realtor sold 3 homes in one year ).

No, Realtors do not have some magic crystal ball that tells them what the former occupents did in their own private home, in their own private lives. There is also no paperwork, or studies that realtors can go to to get that information.

Call a realtor in Safford, Arizona and ask them what the residents of 2260 Keisha lane do. If we are in the Occult, or what religion we are in. If we might be Wiccan, or maybe into Scientology.

That is my address. Let me know what they tell you, and I will let you know if they were right.

You can also try past homes, I believe 2 are for sale.

5429 Spanish Moss Dr., Sparks, Nevada

101 Highway 101, Langlois, Oregon.

Let me know, I am anxious to hear what these Psychic Realtors have to say.

P.S. I am not being a smart ass, I am just straight to the point, so do not take offense.

Also, sounds like you have neighbors that love to Gossip, and talk about other people. I wouldn't live there. Do you believe everything you hear from strangers?

Also, I would not push anyone for information you are asking. It really is none of your business.

As I said, and as I see, and as you are proving. A seed has been planted into your head, and you will be willing to look anywhere to make it paranormal. Even asking people you barley know for personal information, and even that will be hear say.

You may as well ask everyone if they have ever heard of the house being haunted. Heck, in that gossipy neighborhood, that might make for a real good time.

I don't take offense to what you're saying, but I also don't really care. I live in Australia, not the States, and my query was not in regards to what the realtor had told me. All I did was share the LITTLE information that the realtor had given me and the LITTLE information that the previous owner had given me in my brief conversation with her.

And in regards to your statement about gossipy neighbours, this is very untrue and you cannot make assumptions like this about people. I live in a small street where everyone is very friendly - we say hello to each other when we pass in the street and wave when we drive past each other. When we first moved in, all of the neighbours made the effort to stop and introduce themselves if they saw us out the front, which I thought was extremely nice of them. All they really told us was that the previous owner and her husband were lovely people and it was sad that she had to move. How does this constitute as gossip?

I appreciate your responses but not your approach.

• Like 1

And in regards to your statement about gossipy neighbours, this is very untrue and you cannot make assumptions like this about people. I live in a small street where everyone is very friendly - we say hello to each other when we pass in the street and wave when we drive past each other. When we first moved in, all of the neighbours made the effort to stop and introduce themselves if they saw us out the front, which I thought was extremely nice of them. All they really told us was that the previous owner and her husband were lovely people and it was sad that she had to move. How does this constitute as gossip?

Sorry, I guess you did not mean to type this?

We have also met a lot of people in the street who've told us little bits and pieces about the previous owner (without us prompting them or even bringing it up).

That is where it constituted gossip. Might just be me.

Anyway, good luck with your new home. We just moved also. Hope it all works out for you. :tu:

• Like 1

Sorry, I guess you did not mean to type this?

I meant to type it - it suggests friendly neighbours, not gossipy ones. I could not say that I have had a conversation with anyone since the initial introduction. It was clear that everyone thought a lot of the previous owner and were sad to see her go. It's nice to have neighbours who know each other as opposed to ones who wouldn't know each other from a bar of soap.

I meant to type it - it suggests friendly neighbours, not gossipy ones. I could not say that I have had a conversation with anyone since the initial introduction. It was clear that everyone thought a lot of the previous owner and were sad to see her go. It's nice to have neighbours who know each other as opposed to ones who wouldn't know each other from a bar of soap.

I guess " Gossip " is not the same in Australia. ( definition )

Gossip : Gossip is idle talk or rumor, especially about personal or private affairs of others.

That is how I define it, and is how you described your neighbors. Not meant to be mean. We lived in a very small town, and " gossip " was it. If I farted in my house at 4 AM, the town would have known about it at 401 AM and been talking about it.

Not saying it is a bad thing, but it is not my thing. I am not into talking about other people, other then " yes, I new them ". Hell, my wife is a gossip queen.

As said, good luck with your new home, and Merry Christmas !!!!

• Like 1

You need to look at things from ALL directions.I live in an old converted Chapel.Its the most ghost free place ever(or maybe I don't believe :santa: ).I hear noises,creaks and what not but I do not jump into the idea a ghost is running around.Sakari is right.The mind can play tricks on you if probed.

Yomight try smudging or cleansing your home with white sage or rose, cedar, sandalwood incense. You can find instructions for native american smudging on the internet. If there is something there it needs to move on. Have you tried talking to it in an esp kind of way? Ask a question in your mind and listen for an answer. Instead of rejecting your experience, explore it, and you may reach a better understanding of it, including whether it is real or not.

Just a suggestion but... If you got possums on the roof, you might also have coons, squirrels, chippies, bats, and mice going on too. When we first moved in, totally weirded me out to hear knocking from under my office floor or in the crawl space- till we realized we had critters moving in for the winter. It's amazing how their movements at times can sound just like a human knocking on a door.

And if you have a chimney and possums on the roof, you might want to make sure the chimney is properly capped- critters will make nests in there. They can also chew their way into your attic just like bats, coons, and squirrels will. Chippies and mice tend to keep to the basement/crawlspace.

This can happen quite fast too, one week they aren't there, next week they are. So it's possible they moved in after your inspection. And if they are on your roof a lot, it's likely they have an access point up there.

The suggestions of getting recordings of this is an excellent one. You might want to keep a journal of incidents too. At the end of the day, you might just decide that you are having new home jitters.

You best resource will likely be the son. Trust me, I understand the awkwardness of it. When we purchased our home, it was because the old lady was too ill to stay and had to go into a home, grandpa had already passed. The property that had been in the families hands for generations had to be split and the house sold off to us, the son kept the back 40. Their easement drive crosses our property, so we knew we had to interact with them even if it was awkward. Well, we took possession of the house and I bounced out in my best attitude to meet our new neighbors who lost the house to us when they showed up to check on their horses. Little did I know they were stopping by after the old lady's funeral. Beyond awkward, I ended up weeping with them for their loss.

In the couple years since then, we have gotten to be friends, the son and his wife have sort of taken us under their wings and have helped us a lot getting used to living out here. And have told us huge amounts of history about our property. Things we would have no clue about no matter who else we spoke to, like a time capsule under the hearthstone in the living room.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've been on here (life gets so busy sometimes) but have wanted to give a bit of an update. Firstly, the noises seem to have settled down a bit, so I can probably put this down to the house settling over the summer (we had some very strange weather - incredibly hot for a few days, then pretty pleasant). My sightings of the man in the loungeroom, however, are still occurring. It is at least three times a week that this occurs, both during the day and at night, and every time I get a bit of a fright. I have only heard odd voices another 2 times since I last posted - once was my name being called again from the bathroom (my boyfriend wasn't home this time) and the second sounded like one half of a conversation in a man's voice (my mother was here that time and said she thought she heard voices).

You need to look at things from ALL directions.I live in an old converted Chapel.Its the most ghost free place ever(or maybe I don't believe :santa: ).I hear noises,creaks and what not but I do not jump into the idea a ghost is running around.Sakari is right.The mind can play tricks on you if probed.

Yeah, my parents have owned a few old houses over the years and I do know the sorts of sounds they make. If it was only noises I wouldn't have thought anything of it (they don't really bother me and I'm used to them now), it's the voices and the man I see in my loungeroom that unnerve me a little. As I said above, the noises don't occur that much anymore so I think it's safe to say our house isn't overly agreeable with the summer heat.

Yomight try smudging or cleansing your home with white sage or rose, cedar, sandalwood incense. You can find instructions for native american smudging on the internet. If there is something there it needs to move on. Have you tried talking to it in an esp kind of way? Ask a question in your mind and listen for an answer. Instead of rejecting your experience, explore it, and you may reach a better understanding of it, including whether it is real or not.

I have heard of smudging before but don't really know much about it. I will definitely look further into it - even if there's nothing here, burning a little incense isn't going to hurt anybody. As for the ESP thing, nope haven't tried it. I'm not sure how I feel about trying it out but I will consider it.

Just a suggestion but... If you got possums on the roof, you might also have coons, squirrels, chippies, bats, and mice going on too. When we first moved in, totally weirded me out to hear knocking from under my office floor or in the crawl space- till we realized we had critters moving in for the winter. It's amazing how their movements at times can sound just like a human knocking on a door.

And if you have a chimney and possums on the roof, you might want to make sure the chimney is properly capped- critters will make nests in there. They can also chew their way into your attic just like bats, coons, and squirrels will. Chippies and mice tend to keep to the basement/crawlspace.

This can happen quite fast too, one week they aren't there, next week they are. So it's possible they moved in after your inspection. And if they are on your roof a lot, it's likely they have an access point up there.

The suggestions of getting recordings of this is an excellent one. You might want to keep a journal of incidents too. At the end of the day, you might just decide that you are having new home jitters.

You best resource will likely be the son. Trust me, I understand the awkwardness of it. When we purchased our home, it was because the old lady was too ill to stay and had to go into a home, grandpa had already passed. The property that had been in the families hands for generations had to be split and the house sold off to us, the son kept the back 40. Their easement drive crosses our property, so we knew we had to interact with them even if it was awkward. Well, we took possession of the house and I bounced out in my best attitude to meet our new neighbors who lost the house to us when they showed up to check on their horses. Little did I know they were stopping by after the old lady's funeral. Beyond awkward, I ended up weeping with them for their loss.

In the couple years since then, we have gotten to be friends, the son and his wife have sort of taken us under their wings and have helped us a lot getting used to living out here. And have told us huge amounts of history about our property. Things we would have no clue about no matter who else we spoke to, like a time capsule under the hearthstone in the living room.

Thank you for your suggestions! I just wanted to respond to a few of the things you have said.

- We live in Australia, so do not have squirrels (and as I've never heard of a coon or a chippie I'm going to assume that we don't have these either). I've never seen bats around here, but that doesn't mean they aren't here, and mice could definitely be a possibility. We are getting a cat in about 2 months, so hopefully this will scare off these sorts of critters and we can start ruling some of the noises out.

- We don't have a chimney so this isn't a problem for us. Also, we don't actually have an attic or roof crawlspace due to the design of the roof (it also means that we don't have any insulation in the roof which is a real pain, but that's not story altogether). We do, however, have solar panels on the roof and my boyfriend believes that smaller animals might like to hide beneath them. This is another problem that we hope a cat will fix.

- I have started keeping a bit of a journal, but thank you for the suggestion! I try to include times when I can but I definitely include the date.

- We have officially met the previous owner's son and his wife. They seem like very nice people but we didn't want to bring up his mother or father only because it had only been a few months after his mother had been moved out and all that. Besides, it's not really polite to ask someone where their father died in the house or not. And I really doubt that the previous owner dabled in the occult. Even if she did, her son may not have known. I don't really think there is much that we're going to find from anyone regarding the house before we moved in.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their responses, they are all greatly appreciated.