Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Football fans cause minor earthquake

UM-Bot

A crowd of fans at a recent football game got so excited that their cheers registered as an earthquake.

Spectators supporting their home team during a game in Seattle on Monday managed to jump up and down with such gusto after a touchdown that their thunderous celebrations registered as an earthquake between a magnitude of 1 and 2 on the Richter scale.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/258954/football-fans-cause-minor-earthquake

• Like 4

Stadium staff are adamant that the free half-time ecstasy slurpees had nothing to do with the cheers.

• Like 4

Cheer leaders claim their touch down routine contributed 0.8842 percent to the ground shaking detected on the Richter Scale Machine ...

• Like 2

So when can they expect the Tsunami in Japan ........

• Like 3

I live in seattle, we actually broke the record this game for loudest crowd. 137.6 dB's. Kinda cool to see the home football team on here.

• Like 5

Wow. That's amazing.

My wife yelled at me so loud one time that the weather people were puzzled by sounds of thunder in a clear blue sky. :w00t:

• Like 3

They tried to set a new noise decible record at a sporting event today in their game against ther 49ers, not sure if they broke ther record , havent heard yet. Guiness was thereto authenticate their record achievement. The opposing teams have to wear earplugs, and have problems communicating. This is one place where home field really is an advantage.

• Like 1

They tried to set a new noise decible record at a sporting event today in their game against ther 49ers, not sure if they broke ther record , havent heard yet. Guiness was thereto authenticate their record achievement. The opposing teams have to wear earplugs, and have problems communicating. This is one place where home field really is an advantage.

I have heard that this has and can be a real problem with the quarterback making calls over the noise of the crowd.

Not sure if the NFL has addressed this issue, or if they even can.

I do know that pro golfing has a "rule of silence" during play(i.e. tee-off, etc..). But that's a much lower crowd attendence.

Not sure if this could even work for stadium-crowded football.

Football as in Foot and Ball.How often does the Rugby..sorry..American FOOTball actually touch a foot?.

Yer but sometimes they play Head Ball, boing,boing ,boing, get it on the ground man.
  • Like 1

Yer but sometimes they play Head Ball, boing,boing ,boing, get it on the ground man.

My Blues are doing that at the moment.Im sure it will end soon. :(

My team likes passing back to the Goalie, 15 times on Saturday and when he kicked it out it went to the opposition 13 times,and we lost 2-1, when will they ever learn.
  • Like 1

Saturday, during the University of Oklahoma vrs Oklahoma State U game, while the OSU kicker was attempting a field goal, we had a 4.5 earthquake... he made the kick though (darn it)...

Wow! Maybe??? Joshua 6:20 So the people shouted, and the trumpets were blown. As soon as the people heard the sound of the trumpet, the people shouted a great shout, and the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they captured the city.

Seattle played at San Francisco on December 8th but did break a record in Seattle when the 49ers visted in mid-September. They tried to break it again two weeks ago when the Saints visited but couldn't do it.

As far as the NFL putting a stop to it, there is no way. It is called the 12th man and a big part of the stadium experience. The day the NFL tries to regulate stadium noise is the day the NFL starts its death spiral into mediocrity. Gronk getting taken out for the season by a low hit shows, IMHO, that the rule changes have already gone too far.

• Like 2

Gronk getting taken out for the season by a low hit shows, IMHO, that the rule changes have already gone too far.

Yep.

personally I think its jus another variable of the game, an uncontrollable element like weather. Even if they could "silence" the crowd, itwoukd be doing the game a great disservice. Im a huge fan of tge nfl, and in my opinion they have made the gAme worse by dehumanizing the game. For example the instant replay, which when goes in my teams favor is ok, Iguess I miss the human element of the game Ie. TIhe refs making judgement calls and reacting on the fly. I get that they want perfection, but imho nfl was better when it was a game of skill with added variables of chance and a bit of luck. That being said I still watch every Sunday, and am a fan.

• Like 1

My team likes passing back to the Goalie, 15 times on Saturday and when he kicked it out it went to the opposition 13 times,and we lost 2-1, when will they ever learn.

:lol: .I hope you stay up Spud.I would rather the CarToon Army go down.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't the NFL try to adress the crowd-noise issue in the 80s. I agree that it would make the game pretty lame. Would a ref hold up a sign so the crowd would know to be silent? If so then the NFL could just build a bunch of stadiums in a dessert somewhere so that all the games could be played at once with no crowd interference.

Seattle was also pretty loud in the Kingdome days. I've read that they could get to 136 Db. I don't know why they didn't care about noise records as much then.