Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coldest place on Earth discovered

Still Waters

Scientists have discovered the coldest place on Earth - where the air temperature plummets to below -91C.

The newly-found spot - situated along an Antarctic mountain ridge - could freeze a human's eyes, nose and lungs within minutes.

http://www.dailymail...c-mountain.html

• Like 2

Wow, I didn't realize it got that cold on earth. Where I used to live I saw temperatures of -50C, and I thought that was God-awful. Can't imagine how this would feel.

• Like 1

Rubbish.......! The coldest spots on this planet (and probably any other) are Mrs.Ealdwita's feet in bed!

I can vouch for that!

Edit to add: Oops!...

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

It's been minus 50º F here before. .. that makes it around 700 degrees below in my van in the morning. Actually, most vehicles won't start that cold.

It's been minus 50º F here before. .. that makes it around 700 degrees below in my van in the morning. Actually, most vehicles won't start that cold.

It was minus -50 C here with the wind the other day. Still had to go to work god damit berrrr.

• Like 1

I can vouch for that!

Yeah, and she still laughs about that!

• Like 6

Rubbish.......! The coldest spots on this planet (and probably any other) are Mrs.Ealdwita's feet in bed!

I can vouch for that!

Yeah, and she still laughs about that!

tumblr_lrech7SQPj1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Good show gents, good show I say

• Like 9

Proof please lol

• Like 1

Wouldnt CO2 freeze right out of the air at that temp? :o

According to Wiki, the freezing point of CO2 is -78.5 C, so your answer is yes, unless other conditions might somehow prevent that.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

And all this time I thought the coldest place on earth was inside my ex-wife's heart. :whistle:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Is that static temperature? I wonder if the wind chill factor could bump it even lower? :blink:

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realize it got that cold on earth. Where I used to live I saw temperatures of -50C, and I thought that was God-awful. Can't imagine how this would feel.

At that, it barely edged out Oymyakov, Russia by only half a degree. That town has held the record since 1933!

Moscow, IDAHO got a -48 degrees C. in 1969. Down here in Oklahoma, we had some -40s in 1886 - that's OUR all-time record.

Doug