Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How about some computer advice...............

Myles

My current desktop has seen it's last days. Time for an upgrade.

I'm at a price range of $300 - $400.

I don't play many games, but will play a racing game and my daughter will play her Sims game.

I am considering a laptop, but it is not totally needed because I have a tablet for sitting on the couch messing around. A laptop would be nice though.

I have a good monitor, so that is not a must.

After doing a bit of looking, I'm narrowing it down (but not limiting it to) to these 2.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/724727/Toshiba-Satellite-C55-A5387-Laptop-Computer/

http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/desktop-computers/product-prod4590015?cm_mmc=Googlepla-_-Technology-_-Computers-_-Desktop%20Computers&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23871801

Let me know what you think and if you have some advice for me.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would opt for the second one from OfficeMax.

Why? For one a tower is better since you can add or replace things whereas on a laptop you cannot. I like the 8 gigabytes of ram and believe me, it won't ever be wasted. A high end processor will be of no use if you do not have the RAM to make things run efficiently.

I don't know how much memory Windows 8 uses so it is better to have more.

HOWEVER I would make sure the motherboard is not limited to proprietary products so you can use whatever brand parts you want.

Also..if you are computer savvy then I would opt to build one yourself, tower, motherboard, the whole works. This way you can put on the HD what you want and it won't be bogged down with bloatware that will slow down your machine.

I like laptops too but if something goes wrong, as it seems inevitable, then I doubt repairs will be readily available nor affordable or even worth it.

• Like 1

links won't work for me ... what's the rig you're thinking of replacing ? and what exactly is the problem ? sometimes just a software maintenance is all that is needed ...

links won't work for me ... what's the rig you're thinking of replacing ? and what exactly is the problem ? sometimes just a software maintenance is all that is needed ...

It's an old one I had built a few years ago. Low RAM, not a good motherboard. Not expandable at all. I've done a fresh reinstall but it's just not able to keep up anymore. My wife tries using Publisher on it, but it's just too old. I'll end up using the parts and mixing and matching other parts I have to get a running machine for my daughter. She gets the old and I get the new and shiney. :yes:

I'd like to stay over 2 GHz with at least 6 GB RAM. Hard drive doesn't matter too much.

I've thought about building from scratch, but that seems to be much more expensive.

CPU, motherboard, memory, power supply, hard drive, DVD drive, (maybe a case and video card). Not to mention an OS.

• Like 1

My Lenovo Windows 8 laptop is pretty good. No real problems. I paid less than $350.

Windows 8 is a bit different. Amazon is still selling a few new laptops with Windows 7.

My Lenovo Windows 8 laptop is pretty good. No real problems. I paid less than $350.

Windows 8 is a bit different. Amazon is still selling a few new laptops with Windows 7.

Would you avoid Windows 8? Even with the 8.1 update?

I tried 8.1, as usual until you get used to a new system, its a bit annoying, but its ok. quite handy

You can downgrade to windows 7 for free.

Personally I would opt for the second one from OfficeMax.

Why? For one a tower is better since you can add or replace things whereas on a laptop you cannot. I like the 8 gigabytes of ram and believe me, it won't ever be wasted. A high end processor will be of no use if you do not have the RAM to make things run efficiently.

I don't know how much memory Windows 8 uses so it is better to have more.

HOWEVER I would make sure the motherboard is not limited to proprietary products so you can use whatever brand parts you want.

Also..if you are computer savvy then I would opt to build one yourself, tower, motherboard, the whole works. This way you can put on the HD what you want and it won't be bogged down with bloatware that will slow down your machine.

I like laptops too but if something goes wrong, as it seems inevitable, then I doubt repairs will be readily available nor affordable or even worth it.

I don't think HP make motherboards and the components inside are generally your standard brands last time I checked (work at the Australian equivalent of OfficeMax).

I would second the notion of building your own.

The Intel 2500 graphics would handle the sims I imagine but not sure about your racing game. The intel graphics range gets pretty decent around the 5000 mark

I don't think HP make motherboards and the components inside are generally your standard brands last time I checked (work at the Australian equivalent of OfficeMax).

I would second the notion of building your own.

The Intel 2500 graphics would handle the sims I imagine but not sure about your racing game. The intel graphics range gets pretty decent around the 5000 mark

I'll third that. You will get more for your money and if you are capable of putting a connector on a board you should have no problem.

Edited by questionmark

It's an old one I had built a few years ago. Low RAM, not a good motherboard. Not expandable at all. I've done a fresh reinstall but it's just not able to keep up anymore. My wife tries using Publisher on it, but it's just too old. I'll end up using the parts and mixing and matching other parts I have to get a running machine for my daughter. She gets the old and I get the new and shiney. :yes:

I'd like to stay over 2 GHz with at least 6 GB RAM. Hard drive doesn't matter too much.

I've thought about building from scratch, but that seems to be much more expensive.

CPU, motherboard, memory, power supply, hard drive, DVD drive, (maybe a case and video card). Not to mention an OS.

depends on what you plan to use it for I guess ... building from scratch only saves money with the not so current architecture ... I think the i5s is the current bargain CPUs ... compare the prices based on generation ... not brand ... that's the only thing I can think of at the time being considering the circumstances ... good luck !

~

It would be cheaper to just buy pieces individually and put it together yourself.

It didn't add up that way for me. Mostly the OS puts it well over.

I tried a few different set ups, and came out ahead with a new. Just had to look and find a new unit that didn't skimp on parts I needed. I didn't need a great sound card. I didn't need anything but a basic DVD writable drive.

It didn't add up that way for me. Mostly the OS puts it well over.

I tried a few different set ups, and came out ahead with a new. Just had to look and find a new unit that didn't skimp on parts I needed. I didn't need a great sound card. I didn't need anything but a basic DVD writable drive.

There is no law prohibiting you to use your current OS as long as you scrap your old machine.

• Like 1

There is no law prohibiting you to use your current OS as long as you ' scrap ' your old machine.

There is no law prohibiting you to use your current OS as long as you scrap your old machine.

That's true. I have XP which I have bee very pleased with, but it might be time to move.

Oh, and the disk I have is.....well a little questionable as to where it came from. Cannot update anymore.

That's true. I have XP which I have bee very pleased with, but it might be time to move.

Oh, and the disk I have is.....well a little questionable as to where it came from. Cannot update anymore.

XP support is being discontinued in 2014. Along with office 2003. That being said the necessity to upgrade isn't there. Targeting any vulnerabilities would be pretty low priority for developers of malicious software to exploit an OS no longer widely used.

XP support is being discontinued in 2014. Along with office 2003. That being said the necessity to upgrade isn't there. Targeting any vulnerabilities would be pretty low priority for developers of malicious software to exploit an OS no longer widely used.

besides that specialty programs like "Hijack this" or "Spyware be gone" still would work to protect you system.

Do you think I would be seeing more and more new software not compatible with XP?

I really don't know what types of software may be on my list for purchase, but I'm sure there will be some.

Do you think I would be seeing more and more new software not compatible with XP?

I really don't know what types of software may be on my list for purchase, but I'm sure there will be some.

As long as there are enough XP user still around you will see XP compatible software. One of the reasons why MS had to extend the last deadline for XP support (the other was that Vista and 7 are just to clumsy to power small devices like cellphones and tablets).

You can downgrade to windows 7 for free.

You need Windows 8 Pro to get the upgrade option and a low priced computer will not have pro installed.

As long as there are enough XP user still around you will see XP compatible software. One of the reasons why MS had to extend the last deadline for XP support (the other was that Vista and 7 are just to clumsy to power small devices like cellphones and tablets).

XP is dead. Zero day threats are lined up for April and no publisher, unless very well compensated, will be supporting XP. Continue running XP at your own risk as it is a 16 year old OS and about to become ground zero for zero day attacks (Google before you comment ?mark).

Windows 7 is a clear winner by everyone's measure, as a computer operating system. MS tried to push it to small devices and failed but who cares, that's not the question you were asking. Windows 8.1 is a very good piece of software and I think the next one will be better but comparing Windows 8 or 8.1 to Vista isn't rational. Windows 8 has a radical GUI change that wasn't a good idea for desktop users but it is very stable, much more secure than previous versions. and most drivers are embedded which was a big issue for Vista. Plus Vista was a buggy POS. The system resources required for Windows 8 are less than Windows 7.

$300-$400 isn't going to buy a great machine but post-holiday sales should be awesome so my advice is wait a week or two and then go shopping..

Edited by Merc14

You need Windows 8 Pro to get the upgrade option and a low priced computer will not have pro installed.

XP is dead. Zero day threats are lined up for April and no publisher, unless very well compensated, will be supporting XP. Continue running XP at your own risk as it is a 16 year old OS and about to become ground zero for zero day attacks (Google before you comment ?mark).

There are publishers that still support Windows 98, I don't see why it will be different for XP, especially given that around 32% of users still use it (That is 2% less than Vista and 7 combined) with no signs of diminishing. If certain programs are not available for lower versions it s mostly because those lower versions are still run on archaic machines incapable of providing the computing power required but not because the publishers want to ignore 32% of their potential customers... if they do we will just see Detroit V2.0... only this time among the software developers as somebody in China will gladly jump into the breach.

• Like 1

There are publishers that still support Windows 98, I don't see why it will be different for XP, especially given that around 32% of users still use it (That is 2% less than Vista and 7 combined) with no signs of diminishing. If certain programs are not available for lower versions it s mostly because those lower versions are still run on archaic machines incapable of providing the computing power required but not because the publishers want to ignore 32% of their potential customers... if they do we will just see Detroit V2.0... only this time among the software developers as somebody in China will gladly jump into the breach.

The Windows 98 environment bears little resemblance to the present day, always connected era and Windows 98 b]never faced the onslaught of malware that XP and later software has. If you believe that all new software will be written for XP then you are dreaming, it won't be and the number of people still on XP has nothing to do with whether someone should stick with the OS. That number will be dropping rapidly over the next few months anyways. There will always be businesses that stick with XP on some machines rather than rewrite archaic code bit one again, irrelevant as to whether or not you should move off XP if possible.

http://threatpost.co...f-the-os/103058

Edited by Merc14