Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vast undersea freshwater reserves found

Saru

An international team of scientists has discovered huge quantities of fresh water underneath the ocean.

The researchers estimate that there could be up to 500,000 cubic kilometers of water locked beneath the sea on continental shelves all around the world. The find could prove extremely significant in the years to come as water shortages become an ever-increasing problem.

http://www.unexplain...-reserves-found

A resource that one day will become more precious than gold itself.

I don't think that there are going to be the great water shortages that are projected. The technology is currently extant to desalinate water- which means that a virtually endless supply is there for the taking. It is currently expensive to build the plants, but I imagine that just like anything else, it will get cheaper with practice and innovation.

Three pieces of technological news today that were very encouraging. This story, one about how graphite can transform the world and one about how it looks we may be able to cheaply recover and store vast amounts of CO2 in certain mines.

With all the fear about technology, it is good to keep in mind that this is what may save our civilization and provide a wonderful future for our children.

• Like 1

This is akin to the huge aquafers (sp?) under the desert in Arizona. One was so large a Paper Company was building a paper mill on top of one. They never finished it as the company was bought by a competitor and eventually shut down.

Where I live (Alicante, Spain) we are already supplied by de-salination plants at a cost that is much lower than the costs for groundwater supply in the UK.

Desalination works, and with the economies of scale means that in the future there will be no supply shortage of drinking water

• Like 3

"The volume of this water resource is a hundred times greater than the amount we've extracted from the Earth's sub-surface in the past century since 1900," said study lead author Vincent Post.

Very interesting indeed.

This is very exciting...the freshwater shortage dilemma has been weighing on my mind as of late.

I hope it isn't scarfed up as the oil supply has and overpriced so that the normal human being can't afford it, let alone the poor. That is what I see happening; having water held hostage by the elite and meted out instead of money for services rendered.

At least a fresh water spill will do less lasting harm to sea life than an oil spill, should history repeat itself.

Where I live (Alicante, Spain) we are already supplied by de-salination plants at a cost that is much lower than the costs for groundwater supply in the UK.

Desalination works, and with the economies of scale means that in the future there will be no supply shortage of drinking water

Agreed but certain groups of people need to claim future shortages of this, that and the other will bring about the human demise. Water shortages on a planet which surface is two thirds covered in water and many parts several miles deep. Without de-salination maybe fresh water could be a future issue but it is already used very successfully in various places around the globe.

To be honest,future projects drilling for this buried resource has exploitation written all over it.Future populations forced to pay extremely over inflated prices for a resource essential to our survival.

To be honest,future projects drilling for this buried resource has exploitation written all over it.Future populations forced to pay extremely over inflated prices for a resource essential to our survival.

We already do in the UK. A country that has reputation for raining constantly always seems to have a water shortage. My water rates are now equivalent to my energy bills a year. As it is not based on usage there is nothing you can do rather than put up and shut up.