Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Victorian photos of cats in costumes

Still Waters

I do not know if the article stated it, but I think the bodies are props with the animal head coming through a hole in the backdrop?

Just more examples of nothing new under the Sun, except the tech to see it.

Cats are always wearing clothes at the times we are sleeping.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

The cats and dogs are either dead and posed. Or they are being tied to things to keep them in those poses.

• Like 1

The cats and dogs are either dead and posed. Or they are being tied to things to keep them in those poses.

:cry: Well aren't you just a barrel of joy? Yes they are being posed, but I don't think they are dead. It would take great taxidermy to make their eyes look so, well, alive.

:cry: Well aren't you just a barrel of joy? Yes they are being posed, but I don't think they are dead. It would take great taxidermy to make their eyes look so, well, alive.

I hate to say it - I really do, but I think she is right. It was noticeable most in the shots where they were all required to be "grinning" or looking in the same direction - the eyes had a glazed look and the iris' are mere tiny slits.

Edit to add: If I'm wrong - I would be truly grateful.

Edited by libstaK

http://www.onemoreriver.org/11267/ the grinning is the look they get just at the start of a 'meow' I would guess, and the tiny slit iris' would be from that huge flash that just went off in their lil' faces. I have no reason to think they are dead. Nup, don't want to think that at ALL thank ye.

Edited to add this link too

http://curioushistory.com/post/51992321108/vintage-animal-photos-by-harry-whittier-frees#.UqmkhOO4aUk

I'm going to just enjoy them as cute and adorable. :yes:

Edited by Sunny Day
  • Like 2

I have to agree. These photos were not all that "cute" and their body poses looked very unnatural and forced.

Considering that during those times, it seems attitudes towards animals was not very loving or kind.

• Like 1

Boo Ryu! Did you even read the links I put up? A bit more research shows that this guy was extremely 'patient and kind' to the animals.

There are always unkind people in the olden days and now. I still think they are "cute" anyways.

(NOT gonna let anyone burst my bubble on this)

• Like 2

Boo Ryu! Did you even read the links I put up? A bit more research shows that this guy was extremely 'patient and kind' to the animals.

There are always unkind people in the olden days and now. I still think they are "cute" anyways.

(NOT gonna let anyone burst my bubble on this)

I did read the articles and it means little to me. Anyone can say whatever they want to make themselves look good.

So unless I could actually watch this man making these photos, there is no reason for me to believe these animals weren't tied or glued. (or hypnotized)

I am not going to apologize just because you don't like what I said. You like the images and that's fine, I don't.

• Like 1

I did read the articles and it means little to me. Anyone can say whatever they want to make themselves look good.

So unless I could actually watch this man making these photos, there is no reason for me to believe these animals weren't tied or glued. (or hypnotized)

I am not going to apologize just because you don't like what I said. You like the images and that's fine, I don't.

Ok, fine

Never asked you to apologise. Fine.

Got me thinking of this video>>

[media=]

[/media]

So this is what cats do when we're not looking, eh?

Always wondered about that. Now I know. HA!

• Like 1

There was a Victorian era taxidermist named Walter Potter who used deceased animals in animal scenes. These were considered popular at the time, but creepy now. Seriously, don't Google it unless you want to be sad and depressed. :(

The animals in these photos look alive to me, at least compared to the Potter ones.

• Like 1

So this is what cats do when we're not looking, eh?

Always wondered about that. Now I know. HA!

Think we can all agree that that is definitely "Cute" :)

Thanks for putting that up, Elljay. I had forgotten about that clip but remember squealing in delight (as a young 'un) when I first saw it. I'm back in my happy bubble again now

Think we can all agree that that is definitely "Cute" :)

Thanks for putting that up, Elljay. I had forgotten about that clip but remember squealing in delight (as a young 'un) when I first saw it. I'm back in my happy bubble again now

Yea I love cats.

But this clip I couldnt get enough of when I saw it first, must have hit replay a dozen of times. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't find anything "hilarious" or "cute" about the pictures (cats and dogs). As far as I can see, they look well and truly, gone. Even if they aren't dead, that is how they appear to me. I wish I could think otherwise but I cannot.

I agree ^.

It reminds me of the book '101 Uses For A Dead Cat'.

Edited by acute

If you don't like cats, maybe you like a pair of cute foxes.

The white one really like his belly rubbing. :cat: