Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could the Universe collapse today?

seeder

Well not sure what to make of this article at all... but I do hope it can wait till after xmas

Could the universe collapse TODAY? Physicists claim that risk is ‘more likely than ever and may have already started’

* Collapse could be down to a subatomic particle known as the Higgs boson

* Higgs boson is evidence for an energy field that pervades the universe

* Shift in field will cause particles in it to become billions of times heavier

* The new weight will squeeze all material into a small, super-hot and heavy ball, and the universe as we know it will cease to exist

The universe could be about to collapse and everything in it - including us - will be compressed into a small, hard ball.

The process may already have started somewhere in our cosmos and is eating away at the rest of the universe, according to theoretical physicists.

The mind-bending concept has been around for a while, but now researchers in Denmark claim they have proven it is possible with mathematical equations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2523177/Could-universe-collapse-TODAY-Physicists-claim-risk-likely-started.html#ixzz2nNYJn7qA

• Like 1

Is there any form of taxation that'll help safeguard mankind?

Not yet, but I'll wager the Chancellor's working on it.

• Like 2

man, i know that the daily mail is a tabloid, but the disconnect between the headline and the actual content of the article in this one is almost a work of art.

• Like 6

man, i know that the daily mail is a tabloid, but the disconnect between the headline and the actual content of the article in this one is almost a work of art.

:lol: ha yeh - well it sells papers doesnt it?

Heres a story from 2002

Universe is 'doomed to collapse'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2346907.stm

See, everyone was happy until the Hadron Collider went and discovered this Higgs-Bison thing, and now, we've got something else to worry about. :cry:

• Like 4

fortunately i am always filled with a deep sense of existential terror! i'm way ahead of you guys.

• Like 5

Some how that makes me really happy. I can't wait to bring it up next time I am with my New Age Pagan buddies. The end of the world, 12/21/12, was such a disappointment for them. It will give them something to look forward too.

Thank you Arkitecht, cool short.

Number one, this presupposes nothing new will be discovered to upset the apple cart. Number two, since no information travels faster than the speed of light it will be over and done before we realize it. One can say about this what one says about death, "I expected it, but not this soon."

If the universe collapses, at least we will all go together. Fine with me.

• Like 2

Relax, since its all just a projection anyway, it'll just reboot back to where it glitches out...like right now...time for pop corn.

Given that it's probablity is quite some time from now, far beyond when ourselve's, our children, great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchilden, etc... will experience, I have no worries.

I don't want to collapse. anyway.... this just isn't going to happ

That is exactly what i've said in one of my previous posting. The universe is also contracting in a continuous pulsatory energo- kinetic phase.

The earth has been making its way around the sun now for some four billion years without the universe collapsing. While the past is no guarantor of the future, it does make the universe lasting a little longer seem likely.

There wasn't 4 billions. The calculations are wrong. It is much less than that. The isotope dating is extremely inaccurate.

Edited by qxcontinuum

There wasn't 4 billions. The calculations are wrong. It is much less than that. The isotope dating is extremely inaccurate.

Yea, sure, like you are an expert. Buddha, give me strength and patience.
  • Like 1

If the universe collapses, at least we will all go together. Fine with me.

was about to say that lols.

Wasn't this theory put forward decades ago under the name "Big Crunch"?

I thought big crunch was the name of a candy bar

• Like 1