Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where do you guys think we go after death?

ocean112

I believe we are truly dead. We have no sense of awareness, and just lie in a coffin, rotting.

• Like 1

This is the ONE area I still struggle with in terms of what my belief actually is. As someone who has become more faithful and familiar with the Bible, it is my belief that when we pass on we either enter the Kingdom of Heaven with God, or we descend into the depths of Hell if we have rejected His love throughout our lifetime.

However, there is another part of me that still holds a belief in reincarnation. I still hold to memories that I swear I have from various periods of past lives. This is where I get a bit confused as to what I believe. Let me be clear, I DO BELIEVE we will all either go to the physical Heaven or Hell when we die. However, I also feel that it would definitely be in God's power to reincarnate someone's soul after they've passed, so they may live again.

However, the Bible says it is appointed for a man to live only once. Which of course suggests to me that God intends for each of us to live only one time in this human form and then transcend to either Heaven or Hell from there. I struggle because I have these memories of living beforehand. Part of me feels that the Bible is absolutely correct in its Words, but it is not out of the realm of God's own power to reincarnate.

It is interesting to think about, but also frustrating when you possess conflicting beliefs on the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the ONE area I still struggle with in terms of what my belief actually is. As someone who has become more faithful and familiar with the Bible, it is my belief that when we pass on we either enter the Kingdom of Heaven with God, or we descend into the depths of Hell if we have rejected His love throughout our lifetime.

But, there is not only Heaven and Hell. There are many different worlds. Eastern and ancient pagan doctrines to describe the 14 heaven levels and the 14 underworld levels and different worlds at middle level.

Just see for example by Samarth Ramdas - Dasbodh, or Brahmasutras, legends of Altaj, Badro thedol, Edda and many others texts.

And people who practice meditation or magic or mysticism may come into the world where do you want to. See old Yoga texts or ancient mysteries ....................

Commonly available texts as Shiva samhita, Sat chakra nirupana, Iamblichus Theurgia ....................................................

Edited by Lumpino

Onwards. Perhaps you might like to consider where you are going before death?

Life is what you make of it xenofish. I'm sorry you feel that way, but in way I think you are on the right track. It really is about the others around us. As soon as you recognize that the world does not belong to us, but we to it, opportunity for a wonderful life simply floats around us like candy.

Hi WCF

Hope yo have been well and the break was good to you. Bit quick I found! It was over before it started almost! Kids do make time fly though.

Professor Hawking states that the brain is essentially a computer, which seems reasonable to me?

Various Hawking Quotes from the Net:

All my life I have lived with the threat of an early death, so I hate wasting time,"

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail,"

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

"I think the brain is like a program in the mind, which is like a computer, so it's theoretically possible to copy the brain on to a computer and so provide a form of life after death.

"However, this is way beyond our present capabilities. I think the conventional afterlife is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark."

• Like 1

I think we are reborn after a while we could relive our own lives or be born in the future

Stuck in the wheel of Samsara unless we overcome ourselves.

I suppose that's the way it is, and it ain't pretty, but I'm still not going to become a monk.

I'm not particularly afraid of the dark, except when wandering around I have been known to kick things I didn't see. The assumption that our brains/minds are just like computers is hard for me to understand.

The way things are going I don't fear Samsara the way I might have thirty years ago. Life is pretty good now, and recently I had the great gratification of helping a homeless mother get a home and then a job (using my influence). That sort of thing makes life worth living in spite of the discomforts.

• Like 5

While I am sceptical about the notion of an afterlife, if I was asked to say what I think most likely it would be that we continue on and live within our own minds. And the belief(s) we held in life shapes whatever we experience while in this state.

While I am sceptical about the notion of an afterlife, if I was asked to say what I think most likely it would be that we continue on and live within our own minds. And the belief(s) we held in life shapes whatever we experience while in this state.

Kinda like Heinlein had Nietzsche in his own private little Hell. I have had this notion that we become disembodied minds -- minds with the desires but without the ability to do anything. This is not far from the standard Asian "Hungry Ghost."

Hi WCF

Hope yo have been well and the break was good to you. Bit quick I found! It was over before it started almost! Kids do make time fly though.

Professor Hawking states that the brain is essentially a computer, which seems reasonable to me?

Various Hawking Quotes from the Net:

All my life I have lived with the threat of an early death, so I hate wasting time,"

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail,"

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

"I think the brain is like a program in the mind, which is like a computer, so it's theoretically possible to copy the brain on to a computer and so provide a form of life after death.

"However, this is way beyond our present capabilities. I think the conventional afterlife is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark."

Cool quotes, I first read "balck holes and time warps" when I was a kid. I do like professor hawking very much. However, he may not have considered or written off the possibility that somone/thing else may al ready have invented the technology to copy our essence. The uinverse is very old possibly multi layered, and its age and extent probably extend beyond what can even fit in our heads, and there is plenty of evidence for that truth. There is a lot of room for a lot of things.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

It all kinda hangs on what mind and sentience are. If they are as I see them and unexplainable in physical terms, then an after life seems highly likely. If I just don't have the imagination to see the mechanical explanation some claim, then death is the end.

• Like 1

I see this question as a win-win.

Do you remember where you were before you were born? Was it painful? Nope, don't remember a thing, didn't feel a thing.

So if there is nothing after death, then we return to that state; unknowing, unfeeling, non-existence.

If there is an afterlife, then we get another adventure!! Another place to trip on to....

It's not all bad, either way.

• Like 1

Well people have imagined all sorts of less than pleasant places or states you might find yourself in.

Its going to be an eternal dreamless sleep

Only death is certain, nothing else. As much as i love to think about heaven and afterlife... I cant see it as something true. But all in all death is just part of life. If glorious star has an end i cant see why i should be special.

• Like 1

Well people have imagined all sorts of less than pleasant places or states you might find yourself in.

Key word; imagined.

What if it is what we make it?

You want heaven....you get heaven.

You want an interdimensional disco? You get a rockin' disco.

You want a 'dreamless eternal sleep'....Hit the snooze button as much as you want.

I guess in light of the OP, another relevant question is....

Are you afraid to die?

"Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die." Peter Tosh

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080611082117AAYQxnL

• Like 1

I don't know. I don't know I don't know lol

I try to focus mostly on this life, I have no clue what happens and I admit it, its why im agnostic. believing in some sort of soul seems so unreal and hard but then believing that its all just random and we just stop being also seems just as impossible.

I believe that some things we just cant understand. Like how dogs have limited intelligence I believe we do to. For example does space go on forever or does it end? either way its impossible to comprehend. It cant just end.. but it cant go on forever 0_0 so idk.

I lean toward spiritual some, when I feel like believing in a spiritual belief I believe that we have a afterlife and we are only on this earth to learn lessons, each unique to ourselves and at times when it feels like you keep repeating the same things its because you haven't learned you lesson yet ;). If we don't learn it all then we reincarnate to learn again. I also believe humanity as a whole has goes through the same cycle of learning lessons.

• Like 2

Key word; imagined.

What if it is what we make it?

You want heaven....you get heaven.

You want an interdimensional disco? You get a rockin' disco.

You want a 'dreamless eternal sleep'....Hit the snooze button as much as you want.

I guess in light of the OP, another relevant question is....

Are you afraid to die?

"Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die." Peter Tosh

http://answers.yahoo...11082117AAYQxnL

No, the way I see it its a win/win

If nothing exist you wont even know your dead. and if there is a afterlife then sweet your alive lol

• Like 1

No, the way I see it its a win/win

If nothing exist you wont even know your dead. and if there is a afterlife then sweet your alive lol

Personally, I believe that we continue to exist. I believe that because I have experienced things that have proven that to me. What form, or how it is.....I can only speculate.

To put it in perspective....my Grandmother and I were very close. I was devistated when she passed. My daughter was only 1&1/2 at the time. She had only met my grandma twice in her life, once when she was 10 months old, and again about a month before she died.

On the day of her funeral, I came home...and as I walked through the door my toddler pointed over my shoulder and shouted ....Grandma!Grandma!!

I had brought the newspaper back with me, that had her obit in it. There were two pages full of obits.

I opened the paper laid it on the bed, and asked her....do you see Grandma on this paper?

Without hesitation, she pointed to her picture and said 'Dats Granma'. (I had no pictures of her around the house, as everything was still packed from our move up North)

My child didn't know my Grandmother. She says even to this day, that she comes to visit her sometimes.

You can believe or not. But that was just one of many affirmations I've received. It was a comfort to me in a very sad time of loss.

• Like 2

Do you remember where you were before you were born? Was it painful? Nope, don't remember a thing, didn't feel a thing.

Dying can be painful, it leaves those behind very hurt, and it means you don't even get to see anyone or do anything ever again. Before you were born, ignorance was bliss. You did not have people to love, things to desire and want, things that make one happy, things that make one laugh. One can realise this before death, but not before birth.

Birth is a very natural occurrence, and requires no special existence. Any animal can give birth, it is a known process. We now why it happens and can explain it. Why is death not the same?

I can see why people fear it, and why people would make up an afterlife to deal with it better. When I was young I would be tough and say I do not fear death, but really, I think everyone does. Nobody wants to lose everyone and everything, but sadly, I honestly feel that's what's going to happen and would love to see evidence to the contrary.

Cool quotes, I first read "balck holes and time warps" when I was a kid. I do like professor hawking very much. However, he may not have considered or written off the possibility that somone/thing else may al ready have invented the technology to copy our essence. The uinverse is very old possibly multi layered, and its age and extent probably extend beyond what can even fit in our heads, and there is plenty of evidence for that truth. There is a lot of room for a lot of things.

My first was "A Brief History of Time" Awesome book. Read it about 5 times now.

I think he actually considers more than the average Bear, it was how he found Hawking Radiation, and of course, he lost a couple of bets to Kip Thorne, and paid up:

In the updated and expanded edition of A Brief History of Time, Hawking states that "Although the situation with Cygnus X-1 has not changed much since we made the bet in 1975, there is now so much other observational evidence in favour of black holes that I have conceded the bet. I paid the specified penalty, which was a one year subscription to Penthouse, to the outrage of Kip's liberated wife."

From Wikipedia.

He looks at dark energy, and he has been dancing around the issue of God since he first came on the scene, only recently to become more blunt and say, it's just a fairy story, but I think he would like to see something to evidence something like an essence or an afterlife as much as anyone would. As time wears on, this great man has less and less to say about an afterlife, and more to say about simple biological processes, which I find more likely as I see that very process happening all around me each and every day. Trees do not go to heaven, but they live, and Priests tell me I wont see my Puppy Betty in heaven.

As such, it does not sound like much chop to me without my best friend Betty. She is like 3 now, not really a puppy any more, but she will always be "my littlest girl"

I think man claims to know too much about the afterlife to entertain it from an academic point of view.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

The question is, why believe or not believe. :)

What to try asking someone who knows?

For example

http://www.templeofh...-magical-papyri

Yes, well......... I suppose there are experts at this sort of thing.........

Mermaid.jpeg

Edited by psyche101