Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you have a mental illness? new diagnosis

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

http://theunboundedspirit.com/nonconformity-and-freethinking-now-considered-mental-illnesses/

New mental illness, ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Including:

Questioning authority

Arrogance

Above average creativity

cynicism

Among others previously thought of as personality traits are now classified as a disease.

What are your thoughts and what are the implications.

Please read article and comment.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

http://theunboundeds...ntal-illnesses/

Including:

Arrogance

Above average creativity

cynicism

Among others previously thought of as personality traits are now classified as a disease.

"Although the authors of the manual claim no ulterior motives but simply better diagnostic practices, the labeling of freethinking and nonconformity as mental illnesses has a lot of potential for abuse. It can easily become a weapon in the arsenal of a repressive state."

The author of the article reeled themselves back in from outright saying it, but I won't; this is a backdoor to taking away people's freedoms.

• Like 1

ODD's been around for at least a decade, we discussed it at Uni when I was training to be a teacher.

It's odd (pardon the pun) that they've redefined the things you take into account for a diagnosis though. Once upon a time it was "a flat out refusal to accept anyone's authority other then the individual's".

• Like 2

ODD's been around for at least a decade, we discussed it at Uni when I was training to be a teacher.

It's odd (pardon the pun) that they've redefined the things you take into account for a diagnosis though. Once upon a time it was "a flat out refusal to accept anyone's authority other then the individual's".

Yeah, I think that's where the politics are coming in.

• Like 3

The old diagnosis was (off the top of my heal) a lack of reaction to intrinsic rewards, only reacting the extrinsic rewarding when it's clearly spelt out how the reward/punishment will affect the child, refusal to follow even a routine set by anyone other then the individual (even lining up or having their desk be at the place decided by the teacher) and it was a constant consistent predictable reaction (ie I say "time to line up" and they always go "no" and stand in the same place/do the same avoidance activity/motion).

• Like 1

First they invent a drug. Then they create a disease for the drug. That is what I tell my Dr..

http://theunboundeds...ntal-illnesses/

Including:

Questioning authority

Arrogance

Above average creativity

cynicism

Damit, as time goes on I find I have more and more problems. First They say when I bite my nails, its OCD, now I have ODD... man I remember when I was normal.... time do change for sure

• Like 1

I think it is kind of bold and nonconformist of the author to make these kind of statements. they made be suffering from some sort of mental disorder and shouldn't be taken seriously.

since this research was done by some obviously free-thinkers the conclusions they draw should be brought into question.

But don't listen to me I am evidently suffering from ODD

Edited by MiskatonicGrad
  • Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if being alive is a disease which should be treated also. LOL

• Like 3

Yes, ODD has been around a while. And it is not something one would mistake for the article's idea of "free-thinking and creativity and noncomformity"!

What concerns me is not "new" diagnosis or labels but drastically improving the diagnosis, affordability of treatment, access to treatment, awareness, removing the negativity and ignorance and shame that surrounds mental illness with the ones we already acknowledge.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Maybe the need to breathe is also a mental illness.

• Like 1

May not be something one would mistake... previously.

By new definition though, everyone has some form of the disease.

It is exactly as written now. Being a cynic who feels he has an above average form of creativity, along with others now means I have a high potentiality of mental illness.... great. Just great. This will be abused I just hope its not in our lifetime and I also hope its not a means to constantly medicate everyone like you find with ADD. Everyone has ADD just some are in denial others have yet to ne diagnosed... and there's a pill for that. Yep uppers. What's the medication for this one. Ludes ? Downers. Or maybe extasy. To make you more agreeable. Most likely it will be some form of antipsychotic. That will teach us. This may be nothing or this may be very bad. We will have to just wait and see.

I've been a medical transcriptionist for a good many years and ODD is absolutely not a new diagnosis. That diagnosis has been around a long time.

ODD is not new. The definition IS. It has been expanded upon it appears

I should have wrote

http://theunboundedspirit.com/nonconformity-and-freethinking-now-considered-mental-illnesses/

New definition of mental illness, ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Including:

Questioning authority

Arrogance

Above average creativity

cynicism

OCD, ODD, OCPD, OBE

all these O thinks are driving me mental.

Why can't they let us live in our frantic little world in peace?

• Like 3

My question is who defines normal? the shrinks? no bias there that I see! the drug companies? again shouldn't have to worry about that! I guess if you have enough framed pieces of paper on your wall we should just don our gray suits and lock step to the beat of your drum. that way you won't threaten to shove some sort of mind-altering chemical (that is government approved of course) down our throats!

• Like 2

Now they can say our founding fathers all had a mental disorder.

• Like 3

The nsa already describes the founding fathers as extremist terrorists. Well their handbook anyways

First they invent a drug. Then they create a disease for the drug. That is what I tell my Dr..

That's NOT true.

Maybe the need to breathe is also a mental illness.

The need to breathe is a biological neccessity. No mental illness on that basic function of life support.

Of course, I know you were being sarcastic...

OCD, ODD, OCPD, OBE

all these O thinks are driving me mental.

Why can't they let us live in our frantic little world in peace?

You clearly have oo.

That is O Objection Order.

There's only one cure.

A pint. See, narry an "O" at all in that direction.

• Like 2

You clearly have oo.

That is O Objection Order.

There's only one cure.

A pint. See, narry an "O" at all in that direction.

I now certify you as my designated phychoanalyst.

Thankyou O, DP

• Like 1

"Hey there, does your child or young teen question what you say and likes to maybe draw or make things?" "He or she may have odd!" "Now hurry up and put them on this medication from a disease we created, so we can take in the profits!"

"Please, buy this now, because we are obviously getting desperate here and making things up."

Edited by andy4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lol Andy I feel the same way

• Like 1