Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antarctica could be rich in diamonds

Still Waters

GEOLOGISTS have opened up the tantalising but controversial prospect that Antarctica could be rich in diamonds.

In a scientific paper published in the journal Nature Communications, a team said they had found a telltale rock called kimberlite in the Prince Charles Mountains in East Antarctica.

http://www.theaustra...f-1226785572863

• Like 1

I wish it would be, I wish there would be so many that they would loose their value significantly. Then maybe so many people in Africa wouldn't be loosing their lives over a rock.

• Like 3

Such a huge continent, presumably with vast resources.

From a fairly recent documentary on PBS, they showed how important Antarctica, left alone, is to positive global climate conditions.

I have mixed feelings on this, but I sure don't want to mess-up our planet.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I wish it would be, I wish there would be so many that they would loose their value significantly. Then maybe so many people in Africa wouldn't be loosing their lives over a rock.

Ha, De Beers would rush in and buy the continent! Got to keep the price of "ice" high!

great ... the mistresses are whooping for joy all across the planet ...

~

i really do hope this turns out to be wrong, otherwise a whole eco system will be dug over in search for stupid shiny rocks.

Plus: i don't wanna deal with having bloody migrating Penguins guano-ing all over my back yard.

• Like 2

There are more important things in this world than diamonds. Leave Antarctica alone, people.

• Like 2

There are more important things in this world than diamonds. Leave Antarctica alone, people.

the only problem is: there aren't much more profitable things in this world than diamonds... :unsure2:

edit: typo

Edited by Jacques Terreur

Such a huge continent, presumably with vast resources.

From a fairly recent documentary on PBS, they showed how important Antarctica, left alone, is to positive global climate conditions.

I have mixed feelings on this, but I sure don't want to mess-up our planet.

You mean we already haven't? All the Diamond companies will wait for Antartica to thaw before trying to ine there unless low-cost laser drills are developed. If traditional mining techniques are used the Diamond companies will have to "import" their labor force with probably some type of hazard or premium paly due to the weather conditions.

We better leave antarctica be,We will push our planet over the edge If we develop this part of our world ! Mark my words !

• Like 2