Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Day Google Became Skynet

seeder

The Day Google Became Skynet

The New York Times reports that Google has just purchased Boston Dynamics, the company known for building biomimetic robots for DARPA, the US agency that oversees military research.

This news comes just a week after the company announced that the former head of its Android (!) division would lead a new "moonshot" project in robotics.

While it's not clear what Google would do with such technology, it's all to easy to make association with the fictional Skynet entity from the Terminator series, especially with Google's all-encompassing data processing and its algorithms, which are designed to predict human behavior.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-day-google-had-become-skynet-1483254398

I guess we wont know until we know!!

• Like 1

another take

quote:

Google has announced that it has purchased Boston Dynamics, the engineering firm which has produced all those creepy dystopian future robots for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), such as the Big Dog (a dog robot that can throw cinder blocks with an arm coming out of its head), Cheetah (the world’s fastest sprinting robot that can outpace humans) and Atlas (the one that’s eerily reminiscent of something out of a Terminator film…Skynet, anyone?).

The Times of India reports:

The deal is also the clearest indication yet that Google is intent on building a new class of autonomous systems that might do anything from warehouse work to package delivery and even elder care.

So Google is building a new class of autonomous systems that might do anything… To that end, Boston Dynamics is now the eighth robotics firm Google has bought over the past six months.

The search engine giant has been tight-lipped so far about what exactly it plans to do with all of these robots, but it is clear that Boston Dynamics is spearheading a revolution — a robotic revolution.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/12/google-buys-darpa-funded-robotics-firm.html

I rather like the idea of robots doing everything for us, but wonder how I'm going to be able to make a living.

• Like 1

It really is time someone reined them in, isn't it. They're just becoming too damn big.

And, of course, that while they becoming bigger and bigger and ever more gigantic and dream up all these ever more grandiose and egotistical projects, their products and services become more and more and more rubbish,

Still, I doubt we need to worry about Golgle creating armies of Terminator robots, given what they did with youTube probably the same thing will happen to Boston Dynamics, and what probably happens to any company they take over; their products will get worse and worse and will never work properly. Still, I expect they'd link them in with google +.

• Like 1

Google Glass

google-glass1.jpg

xtc-geordi-laforge-real.jpg

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I rather like the idea of robots doing everything for us, but wonder how I'm going to be able to make a living.

Move with the times... become a robot mechanic!

• Like 2

Google patents lie-detecting throat tattoo

Google tattoo would also help make conversations in noisy situations easier, as well as flashing when it thinks you are lying

http://www.telegraph...oat-tattoo.html

and

Laugh at Google's E-Tattoo All You Want, You'll Be Wearing One Soon

E-tattoos are coming, along with other implantable devices. So why wouldn't one of the largest tech companies in the world try to be the first?

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/laugh-at-googles-e-tattoo-all-you-want-youll-be-wearing-one-soon

Edited by seeder

Google patents lie-detecting throat tattoo

Google tattoo would also help make conversations in noisy situations easier, as well as flashing when it thinks you are lying

http://www.telegraph...oat-tattoo.html

and

Laugh at Google's E-Tattoo All You Want, You'll Be Wearing One Soon

E-tattoos are coming, along with other implantable devices. So why wouldn't one of the largest tech companies in the world try to be the first?

http://motherboard.v...earing-one-soon

My god, that's a sinister article (the second one), isn't it. I mean, we'd expect that the World's Most Arrogant Tech Company would not hesitate to deploy its greatest minds to devising the creepiest, most sinister and downright idiotic ideas they come think of (because they're like so damn Cool!!) while at the same time not bothering about the products and services that are their bread and butter because they're just so boring and mundane, but the way that the tech-savvy gossipmongers on blogs lap all this stuff up, because it's like so damn cool, and never mind the implications at all. I think the tech-savvy blogs are even more sinister in their encouragement of everyone to embrace all this stuff (because it's like so damn Cool!!) than Google itself, because we'd expect nothing more from google itself, since we know that to get as gigantic as it has, any corporation has to leave concern for things like ethics behind.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

My god, that's a sinister article (the second one), isn't it.

:tu:

Not long before he died in 1996, Carl Sagan gave his last interview on the Charlie Rose show.

key quote:

“We’ve arranged a society based on science and technology, in which nobody understands anything about science and technology,” Sagan said. “And this combustible mixture of ignorance and power, sooner or later, is going to blow up in our faces.”

• Like 1

google-skynet.jpg
  • Like 2

More...

Are Facebook and Google buying cable networks to stop governments spying on them?

Google now owns 100,000 miles of fibre optic cable routes globally

Facebook also extended its network in Europe by buying unused cables

By owning the cables, companies can control how much traffic they send

This stops internet providers from throttling traffic - making services faster

It also prevents governments from being able to spy on their services

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2525732/Facebook-Google-buying-cable-networks-stop-government-spying-them.html#ixzz2nrcZXMC9

More...

Are Facebook and Google buying cable networks to stop governments spying on them?

Google now owns 100,000 miles of fibre optic cable routes globally

Facebook also extended its network in Europe by buying unused cables

By owning the cables, companies can control how much traffic they send

This stops internet providers from throttling traffic - making services faster

It also prevents governments from being able to spy on their services

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2nrcZXMC9

but it means that these corporations, which only exist of course to serve the public ( :santa:), can do whatever they like with the infrastructure they own without Government interference, can't it? it's a two edged sword. Would you trust Google, or would you trust the Government? it's a tough call.

• Like 1

but it means that these corporations, which only exist of course to serve the public ( :santa:), can do whatever they like with the infrastructure they own without Government interference, can't it? it's a two edged sword. Would you trust Google, or would you trust the Government? it's a tough call.

I think regardless of who we trust, the future will be the same - private companies just may make it happen sooner. Like that cartoon a page back...google invest in making solar power technology more efficient than ever.... then they wont need any countries eleccy supply.. And that boat they have been building wont need any country

quote:

Although Google’s statement has dampened down some of the speculation regarding the project, the secrecy with which the barges were constructed still raises some eyebrows. Building on water rather than land meant that the company could avoid filing public permits, and US Coast Guard officials who inspected the barges signed non-disclosure agreements.

http://www.independe...ot-8926399.html

Edited by seeder

I don't see where who "owns" what has anything to do with what the government can do if it has the legal authority, and legal authority can be an interpretative matter.

• Like 1

Does a guy called Frankenstein work for Google.

• Like 1

Does a guy called Frankenstein work for Google.

maybe not by name, but nature...

I'm glad that I won't live long enough to be fully controlled by a corporate entity, but feel sorry for you youngsters. The future looks very dark for you.

• Like 1

Create a monster and it will eventually chew you up and spit you out.

In the future human-robot relations will probably be different. Robosexual marriage will be the hot topic.

• Like 1

Former DARPA director on research into Beast Tech

quote:

Audience applauds as Regina E. Dugan -- former Director of DARPA and current executive at Google -- describes with excitement the coming BEAST TECH smart tattoos and ingestible biochips that are ALREADY FDA APPROVED and that people will want to receive (and then be REQUIRED to receive) by 2017. She glows about the "super powers" the MARK will give her and says today's generation wants them too. Unfortunately, as documented in the book BEAST TECH, she is right.