Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putting a myth to rest

Stellar

Instead of typing it over and over and over, I decided to just post a thread about it! We do *NOT* Only use 10% of our brain.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• firefemme1202

• _hAiLO_

• cyberlord

Do you have proof? a link to a site debunking the myth?

Something else i can read besides your claim?

I'd think with how skeptic you are, you would assume the same for everyone, and post more information than 'this isnt true'. Surely anyone who posts 'this is true' regarding anything paranormal gets the 3rd degree

Whoops, I was in a hurry and didnt notice that the link didnt paste. I'll get a first link now since I'm at school. If you want more, I'll get them later.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

Very good links stellar. I never did believe in the 10% brain usage. Now i know why lol

To be fair to everyone, I think I know a few people that only use 10% of their brain. laugh.gif

It doesn't require a large amount of the brain for mankinds inhumanity to man. We waste most of our intellect and brain power destroying rather than being creative.

It doesn't require a large amount of the brain for mankinds inhumanity to man. We waste most of our intellect and brain power destroying rather than being creative.

327993[/snapback]

Ditto.

Great, we had one of the world's greatest scientest in our country last century and we used him to build an ATOM BOMB. Gee.....all that time and he could have been discovering other things.....shoot, I'm glad he at least had time to figure out E=MC squared before people used his genius for something else equally or potentially more destructive.

Yeah umm... I dont think the a bomb was such a bad idea at the time...

Yup, thats true. We use more than 10%. But I don't see how we use 100%.

This world is filled of "What if's" and neither Believers or Skeptics have evidence for most of them.

In this topic, Believers do not have evidence that we use only 10% of our brain, and Skeptics do not have evidence that we use 100% of our brain.

Another point, it is so easy to believe in those web pages because they have explanations.

For example, it is easy for Believers to believe in this as it is for Skeptics to believe in Stellers links.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Hey hailo, arwen, how about you read the links instead of just dismissing them? Yeah, I guess you're gonna tell me PET and MRI scans are wrong? Theres evidence supporting the fact that we use more than 10% of our brain... theres no evidence supporting the 10% myth.

*sigh*

Figures. Its actually quite telling. It shows that you are just out to believe it, and not do any research on the subject.

Hey hailo, arwen, how about you read the links instead of just dismissing them? Yeah, I guess you're gonna tell me PET and MRI scans are wrong? Theres evidence supporting the fact that we use more than 10% of our brain... theres no evidence supporting the 10% myth.

329482[/snapback]

I did not say in any way in any of my posts that we only use 10% of our brain. I actually agreed with the fact!!

Yup, thats true. We use more than 10%.

I didn't say you were WRONG, I just said an agreement.

The thing that would have sparked a debate here is the next sentence:

But I don't see how we use 100%.

Scientists have not proven that we use 100% of our brain. I'm thinking that if we did, everyone on Earth, considering the size of everyone's brain is fairly the same, would have the same intelligence level, or IQ...in which they don't.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Ditto.

Great, we had one of the world's greatest scientest in our country last century and we used him to build an ATOM BOMB.  Gee.....all that time and he could have been discovering other things.....shoot, I'm glad he at least had time to figure out E=MC squared before people used his genius for something else equally or potentially more destructive.

328034[/snapback]

Steller had a great point---at the time, the A-bomb didn't seem like such a bad idea. We now know differently.

arwen, how about you read the links instead of just dismissing them? Yeah, I guess you're gonna tell me PET and MRI scans are wrong? Theres evidence supporting the fact that we use more than 10% of our brain... theres no evidence supporting the 10% myth.

why in the goddess' name are you bloody attaacking me? i dont care and i know i havent read the links i was just saying touche to hailo coz i thought it was a good point! dont attack without reason please!

Hailo, you did equate my links with links saying that we DO only use 10% of our brains!

I was just showing an example. Not everything in that site is true, I was comparing site to site. I didn't say in any of my text that I totally agreed whats in there.

I agree with you okay, Steller. The site I showed you probably brought up the wrong explanation on what the site was about.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Not everything in that site is true

Anyone who doesnt believe it is welcome to check for other sources... but anyone unwilling to accept it is probably gonna end up dismissing all the sites talking about the 10% myth being a myth.

Ditto.

Great, we had one of the world's greatest scientest in our country last century and we used him to build an ATOM BOMB.  Gee.....all that time and he could have been discovering other things.....shoot, I'm glad he at least had time to figure out E=MC squared before people used his genius for something else equally or potentially more destructive.

328034[/snapback]

Steller had a great point---at the time, the A-bomb didn't seem like such a bad idea. We now know differently.

329724[/snapback]

Exactly, I never said it wasn't thought of as a good idea at the time, I was just saying, which you emphasized also, that now we do know differently.

And Stellar, breath, please original.gif I looked at the sites and #1, I agree we don't use just 10% of our brains, but #2 I also don't believe everything stated as true. That's how it is with a lot of websites nowadays...there can be truth mixed in with fiction...but that's why do as much research as possible and in many cases go with the majority. I think you just misunderstood what hailo was trying to say. But those were good links to look at considering the majority of what were in the links had solid foundations. It's all good original.gif

I think i have damaged more then 10 % of my brain when i was out last night.. ahh alcohol the stuff of brain damage! tongue.gif