Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

To bludgeon or not to bludgeon

markdohle

To bludgeon or not to bludgeon

I am beginning to understand why so many people think religion is nutty. Well, because it is I guess....at times. Christians are running around babbling, each with his or her bible making infallible statements that, well, sound crazy. Muslims as well do the same thing. In the New Testament, the Word of God is called a "a two edge sword", it is surgical, it cuts in order to heal. However, today, everyone who deems himself or herself an expert on the scriptures us the NT and the OT as a club, bludgeoning others, not cutting, not healing, just beating. No wonder so many in the younger generation, those under 25 find themselves moving towards atheism at an ever larger rate. We are called to be the light of the world, but instead, we are becoming flame throwers, creating more problems that ever. If I thought that fundamentalism was the only way to be a Christian, then I would have to leave the faith. Think goodness most Christians are not and also thankfully, many who are, aren't nutty in what they say or think. The love of Christ in their hearts and the Holy Spirit keep them humble and loving.

If we speak without love, or in anger, or come across as angry, then the battle has been lost. I now that when a Muslim post here in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS it means that that are shouting at Christians....when Christians do the same thing.....yes SHOUTING. IT has never worked for me, when someone shouts, I just fade them out.

We are called to plant seeds, kindness allows the seed to find the ground and slowly grow. It is the Holy Spirit that brings forth fruit, not me, nor anyone on this site or anywhere else. I pray for all, the Our Father does not have the word or the concept of "My Father" to the exclusions of others. when Jesus aught that prayer he taught it to a broad audience. Jews as well as non-Jews.

• Like 4

Every herd has its problem children. The rest, and the thing they promote, shouldn't be judged because of that though. Especially if it's an idea or a more abstract sort of thing. Or belief.

Seeds of love and kindness dont grow easy on all ground, but if anything can penetrate a numb heart it's that. A reminder of what it is to be a living being.

I think of Jesus like the bands of today, throwing gigs at places. I dont know how popular he was back then, but it's a pretty good hit when people keep singing it for millennias. I have to give him that as a not-yet-believer, with all respect. I'm sure he's smiling up there as long as we remember the stuff behind his words.

• Like 1

If it's a vote, put me down for "not to bludgeon".

• Like 2

Don't bludgeon this old Druid, he fights back. Turn about is fair play. ;)

• Like 3

1. Islam
  2. Christianity

Looks like you are just beginning your survey. I'd suggest suspending judgement until you get some more data. :)

Don't bludgeon this old Druid, he fights back. Turn about is fair play. ;)

That is what I like about you....

• Like 1

Well said mark.

• Like 2

Thank you my friend. Hope your holiday season is a good one for you.

Peace

mark

It was mark. I hope it was for you aswell.

• Like 1

Beautifully written Mark.

For myself, it is about being christian not about teaching it to others. Self determination is at the heart of christianity - free will is the ultimate gift of a benevolent God and it is my place to honour that right in others not to judge it.

• Like 2

Beautifully written Mark.

For myself, it is about being christian not about teaching it to others. Self determination is at the heart of christianity - free will is the ultimate gift of a benevolent God and it is my place to honour that right in others not to judge it.

Well said my friend.

peace

mark

• Like 1