Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dark Energy and Matter mentioned in the Bible

settlingtheworld

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for.

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Note the words visible and invisible. This could be referring to dark matter and dark energy which are invisible to us.

Edited by settlingtheworld
  • Like 3

There might be something to this. Not the Bible, but that what science can't comprehend and calls "dark" is a spiritual world that science can't measure.

Note the words visible and invisible. This could be referring to dark matter and dark energy which are invisible to us.

Sure, that's not a stretch at all. Or it could be referencing to things known at the time, like wind and feelings and emotion, which were invisible.

• Like 3

No.

• Like 2

That is possible. I hadn't read into it as much, but I think it's likely.

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for. "For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Mentioning "the visible and invisible" is just a circumlocution to characterize the "all". Taking that wording into correlation with dark matter is illogical because, for example, we even cannot see the air that we are breathing. So, the bible writing is just what it is, a writing. And it did not refer to dark matter.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

well yeah and also other invisable things..

like thoughts, energy, wind, emotions, and spirits..

all go into the realm of the invisible

• Like 1

This reminds me of the Muslim trying to justify the verse in the Quran that says Ants talk by tying scientific findings that certain Ants may vibrate their body for communication.

• Like 3

Dark matter and dark energy are a direct result of our technology and shortfalls of technology. Using our technologies and scientific knowledge we can add up the mass of the universe. But it doesn't quite add up. In fact a very large amount of the mass has gone missing that we cannot account for. Conservation of energy says we can't have anything missing, so what do we do? We create a model to account for it -- dark matter and energy. We don't know what they are or how to measure them... as far as we know they only interact through gravity. It's extremely unlikely (I would claim impossible) that they were known when the bible was written. Up until recently we had no solid evidence that they even existed (the Bullet Cluster changed this), and we still have no way to measure them. The only way to observe evidence of their existence would require technology and science not available such a long time ago. Not to mention, it's bad form to take a vague statement, extrapolate meanings and form conclusions from it. It's Nostradomus all over again.

• Like 1

You don't have it right. Dark matter is not inferred from adding up the mass of the universe and seeing that some is missing. It's presence is inferred from the measurement of the rotation of galaxies and the orbits of galaxies around clusters of galaxies. Its presence has been inferred since by dozens of other similar measurements.

Far and away the simplest possibility is that there is matter we can't see, hence "dark." What all this might have to do with Nostradamus is quite beyond me.

• Like 1

Well gnostic Chrisitians believe that there are things in the physical world that we do not see, so maybe.

• Like 1

Well gnostic Chrisitians believe that there are things in the physical world that we do not see, so maybe.

The basic notion of Gnostic thought from what I remember reading is that;We are trapped in the material world by a dark creator God, and only through "Gnosis" the secret hidden words/thoughts can we escape from here to the Good creator God of Light.

Obvious primative thinking as I see it, but just think about this.If your mind continues after death then what you believe will be, because you are just made of thought.Many NDE cases are experienced through ones own culture wether they believed in their societal beliefs, or not.

As from what I see the Bible has only one scientific truth which is the power of water to cleanse, but as a child I figured that out.

You don't have it right. Dark matter is not inferred from adding up the mass of the universe and seeing that some is missing. It's presence is inferred from the measurement of the rotation of galaxies and the orbits of galaxies around clusters of galaxies. Its presence has been inferred since by dozens of other similar measurements.

Far and away the simplest possibility is that there is matter we can't see, hence "dark." What all this might have to do with Nostradamus is quite beyond me.

Galaxy rotation is only part of it. Measurements from WMAP (accounting for the mass we should expect to see) and gravitational lensing are additional forms of evidence. There are alternatives explanations to the rotation (such as MOND but is now obsolete). It's through adding up the mass that we KNOW there must be something else since breaking conservation of energy would cause some very big issues.

Nostradamus fits in here because people interpret his "predictions" so that they match events that have happened. This is exactly what the OP is about, except with the bible and dark matter, is it not?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for.

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Thoughts are unseen as well, yet scientifically proven to exist as energy , which can be measured . Subconscious and conscious mind remind me also of unseen and seen .The natural order which flows with karma too is also seen and unseen .The unseen and seen connection of nature interconnects with spirit and of course reality .

I think that we can easily link any future advancement and find a 'clue' in many of holy books.

Those are written in such language that u can refer one part of writing to many things. Just see what future holds and how in past many advancements were linked to holy books. Also, there was no technology advancement that happen because some old writings. 'Invisible' was explained as ghost presence sometime in past, every time era will have something that can be linked to holy books.

Thats how i see it but i must say that we cant be sure and its all closely related to the part - who are we and how we got here :) Good finding btw.

Be nice if we could find some clear evidence of future technology, instead of "if you look at this verse under a certain light, it could be taken to mean this thing."

This is a case of misunderstanding biblical words. The word "earth" doesn't mean the third planet from the sun. It only means land areas able to support human life indefinitely. This would exclude the polar regions, jungle and mountain regions, also deserts. The word "heaven" doesn't mean outer space. It only means the spiritual realms existing in co-ordination with the physical realm flesh and blood human beings now live in. The biblical verse here refers to all things existing within earth and heaven at the time the verse was written, not to scientific discoveries or technological developments of the past five or six centuries.

I haven't looked at this in a while (over 2 years now), so I haven't tried to update it but it's still "my baby". But some might find this interesting in this thread. I briefly discuss Dark Energy and Dark matter. You don't have to read all the replies to it, the focus meandered a bit. There are some good replies though. But definitely give the OP a try.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=212773&st=0