Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists reverse ageing in mice

Still Waters

Harvard researchers managed to turn the clock back for mice by helping their cellular DNA communicate more efficiently.

After just one week of restoring this communication scientists found two-year-old mice now had the body tissue of a six-month-old.

http://www.telegraph...in-mammals.html

• Like 2

woohoooo immortality here I come. :su

Ehh I think if immortality becomes a reality, you should be forced to become infertile at the same time.

• Like 3

Great, now all thats left to do is reverse engineer death itself.

At my age I would be willing to participate in the phase-2 trials, but not phase-1, if you what I mean by why.

Sounds promising!

Bet it ends up costing like $100,000 per treatment though.

• Like 1

Sounds promising!

probably. like with every new technology it starts out super expensive were only a few can get it but then as time goes on and they better advance the technology making it cheaper it leaks in to the main stream. For example we all have a computer right now.

• Like 1

Could be.... But will that price decrease be in 1 year, 10 years or 100 years?

I have two computers!!! WOW! Four if you include tablets!

I very much Doubt that it will made available to mere Mortals like us.

• Like 2

probably. like with every new technology it starts out super expensive were only a few can get it but then as time goes on and they better advance the technology making it cheaper it leaks in to the main stream. For example we all have a computer right now.

I don't think so. It's not like computers or cellphones, this is a technology that would change forever they way we think of living and dying. It would remain firmly in the hands of few, those in power of course.

Or would you allow 6 billion people to live forever, and maybe even allow them to have children?

The world would collapse shortly after.

Further, after you gain "money", "power", "success", what do you have left to aquire? Today nothing, tomorrow a doubled life-span. Thus, it will be exclusive and will remain exclusive, because only few will be able to obtain it.

About the process, what would happen if someone is overdosed? Will he regess to child? And how is the brain affected by it? Would the synapses built during years (thus, our experiences and memories) be erased? Then we could really rejuvenate, not only in body, but in mind too! We would be young again, with a young and inexperienced mind.

I don't think people would like it.

Or maybe they could leave some video instructions for their younger selves, who obiouvsly wouldn't listen to them!

Other problem: how long would we work? 70, 100, 150 years? Wow, what a deal!

Edited by Parsec

Sounds promising!

and they won't tell you the natural herbal formula that you could make for $10 LOL

Sad. Truly a sad testimony to our kind that we are SO afraid of life and its natural progressions that we feel we must rise above biology. We already know how to slow aging and it doesn't take a special drug or some manipulation of genes, we just need to take better care of ourselves. Eat better by paying attention to what is in our food, stop abusing our bodies with drugs, poisons, loud music, constant stress..it is NOT a mystery and certainly is not an insurmountable task to take on.

Seriously, what makes us think we are SO special that we should live for centuries?

• Like 1

I don't think so. It's not like computers or cellphones, this is a technology that would change forever they way we think of living and dying. It would remain firmly in the hands of few, those in power of course.

Or would you allow 6 billion people to live forever, and maybe even allow them to have children?

The world would collapse shortly after.

Further, after you gain "money", "power", "success", what do you have left to aquire? Today nothing, tomorrow a doubled life-span. Thus, it will be exclusive and will remain exclusive, because only few will be able to obtain it.

About the process, what would happen if someone is overdosed? Will he regess to child? And how is the brain affected by it? Would the synapses built during years (thus, our experiences and memories) be erased? Then we could really rejuvenate, not only in body, but in mind too! We would be young again, with a young and inexperienced mind.

I don't think people would like it.

Or maybe they could leave some video instructions for their younger selves, who obiouvsly wouldn't listen to them!

Other problem: how long would we work? 70, 100, 150 years? Wow, what a deal!

I know that this is the view most people take and sci fi movies. But I think history shows it different. Every technology revolutionizes the way we see the world. And there is always a fear of new technology. Believe it or not when vaccines were first discovered and used some people who also worried about overpopulation and what not.

And just from a business prospective its a gold mind to get that to the mass of people. EVERYONE would pay all they can afford for it. So they will make it happen if anything just for profit.

plus humans we have always adapted around everything. If people start living forever we will just adapt around that too. Go to space, build up, have a limit to how much kids people can have, etc etc.

And as for people not have meaning in life ,well that's a problem now so im sure that would still be a problem. I don't see a problem with people being able to choose when they are finished with life though.

As for the process you do have a good point, im sure its very far from being of practical use yet. Probably lots of unintended effects.

Edited by spartan max2

Sad. Truly a sad testimony to our kind that we are SO afraid of life and its natural progressions that we feel we must rise above biology. We already know how to slow aging and it doesn't take a special drug or some manipulation of genes, we just need to take better care of ourselves. Eat better by paying attention to what is in our food, stop abusing our bodies with drugs, poisons, loud music, constant stress..it is NOT a mystery and certainly is not an insurmountable task to take on.

Seriously, what makes us think we are SO special that we should live for centuries?

I want to live for hundreds of years, young at least lol but im not afraid of death, if I was told I die tomorrow I would be at peace with it.

Maybe its the people who do not want to live forever who are SCARED of living :innocent:. The though of continued existence scares them. What is wrong with people being able to choose when they die?

Why shouldn't we live for centuries? if we find a way then why not? We are the same species that found ways to travel hundreds of miles per hour, we already transcend our biology in everything we do now.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

This is primarily about muscular age, and so, I think that everyone would still die at around 120 when their brain finally started giving out, but they might leave a fine body behind.

Maybe its the people who do not want to live forever who are SCARED of living :innocent:.

Yeah..really cute.

Why shouldn't we live for centuries? if we find a way then why not? We are the same species that found ways to travel hundreds of miles per hour, we already transcend our biology in everything we do now.

Let me put it this way..if working for fifty to seventy year of your life was hard enough in a lifespan of maybe 85 years...what do you think it will be like being forced to work for 490 years of a lifespan that is maybe 500?

The economy is on its back and many will be on the streets for example. Who would want to spend a century or more homeless and starving?

Then endlessly going to college to get worthless degrees for jobs that don't exist just so we can be a continual source of money for our war greedy governments all the while being in constant debt? Nuh-uh...not me.

I'll be perfectly happy if I die at 60 or 70.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2

Ehh I think if immortality becomes a reality, you should be forced to become infertile at the same time.

I have my two kids, I'm done making those... now on to living for 400 more years

This is primarily about muscular age, and so, I think that everyone would still die at around 120 when their brain finally started giving out, but they might leave a fine body behind.

It would be nice to live your older years being able to live a full life without the aches and pains that come with the body aging. I'm not so sure you'd live for centuries either.

• Like 2

I'm sure if this gets in the hands of the rich only we'd see a fair amount of riots throughout the world. It would be complete anarchy of the middle and lower class people.

I didn't see anywhere that this affected the nervous system and the brain, so they are going to keep degrading as you age. Eventually you will be unable to function in society, and then eventually your heart and lungs will just stop working when the brain gives out.

It will be super cool to be in a energetic, healthy, pain free body till that happens however.

• Like 3

Our thirst for knowledge?
  • Like 1

Although I think this is probably premature and meaningless hype, giving it the benefit of the doubt, if we live indefinitely and so are not allowed children, it will be a world without children, or at least with very few.