Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Truth vs. imaginings?

Nighthawk9653

When your mind presents you with new information about yourself, how are you supposed to know if it's truth or imaginings?

I was doing serious soul searching stuff over the summer, and i was looking and asking my mind for anything, and one night jurying a dream I was actually given an answer. An answer that makes a lot of sense, but I can't wrap my mind around it, and actually believe it.

I looked into it, and the more I do, the more it makes sense.

But dreams are such unpredictable things. A dream could be a real message from yourself or a random mosh of crap from your day. So how am I really supposed to know?

How can you actually figure out things about yourself that are true? How do you distinguish truth from imaginings?

• Like 1

I listen to my heart wisdom, not my mind. My experience is that my mind can be very tricky and can't always be trusted. When it starts spinning and become confused or anxious i tune into my heart channel. I think there is a body wisdom we are born with that serves us just as well as our minds. We just need to figure out which one is the appropriate tool for the circumstances.

• Like 2

When your mind presents you with new information about yourself, how are you supposed to know if it's truth or imaginings?

I was doing serious soul searching stuff over the summer, and i was looking and asking my mind for anything, and one night jurying a dream I was actually given an answer. An answer that makes a lot of sense, but I can't wrap my mind around it, and actually believe it.

But dreams are such unpredictable things. A dream could be a real message from yourself or a random mosh of crap from your day. So how am I really supposed to know?

How can you actually figure out things about yourself that are true? How do you distinguish truth from imaginings?

The most introspective question is who am I, what, and why? Schopenhauer said, "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived opinion, by prejudice." In other words, when your imaginings become self-evident, then you know that you've uncovered a truth. Sometimes, it only takes a moment, other times it takes a lifetime.

• Like 3

I listen to my heart wisdom, not my mind. My experience is that my mind can be very tricky and can't always be trusted. When it starts spinning and become confused or anxious i tune into my heart channel. I think there is a body wisdom we are born with that serves us just as well as our minds. We just need to figure out which one is the appropriate tool for the circumstances.

Beany you bring up a very important point. One of the most amazing discoveries I have made in meditation is that my heart has it's own very distinct and very separate voice from my mind. I feel more truly than I think with my mind. I agree the heart wisdom is the most important.

• Like 2

When your mind presents you with new information about yourself

*snip*

Does your general behaviour corroborate this 'information'?

Does this 'information' relate to you as you are, or as you may, or hope/fear, to be?

There are many forms of truth, and some truths turn out to not come to pass. That does not make them 'untrue'. And dreams are notoriously poor 'oracles', as dreams have to be interpreted. In interpreting something we invariably colour that interpretation with our own bias.

Trust. Trust your dreams when they come together cohesively like that. You are receiving a lesson because you are a seeker. The greatest lesson I ever received as a seeker was to realize when I have found.

Edited by White Crane Feather

An answer that makes a lot of sense, but I can't wrap my mind around it, and actually believe it. I looked into it, and the more I do, the more it makes sense.

Interesting that you put it this way, it makes sense yet you can't get your head around it and the more you look into it the more it makes sense. I don't know what the issue is and to be quite frank, I really don't want to know. However, since this came to you while you were in a dream state then most likely it's your own mind trying to tell you something that you obviously know but are in denial about or repressing for some reason. What that reason is I can't say, but you can. You apparently already know the answer makes sense, so perhaps you need to explore that further.........so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else or yourself. You do have to exercise reason and responsibility regardless of whatever it is you're struggling to come to terms with, which is the same thing we all must do every day.

My guess is that whatever it is, it's something that you already know but for whatever reason you can't embrace that part of yourself. Take small steps at first and don't think too much about it......people waste time over thinking things too much and yes, I have done the same thing at times. By the time I got my head out and tried to move on it, it was too damn late. So don't be that person, be cautious, be responsible, but try to embrace what it is that you are struggling with so.

Imagination is pre-physical-existence.

Before making something happen first it is an idea - a fantasy.

Love or Desire is the force that makes it happen. The attachment keeps building in the cup until the cup runneth over and you can't help but to take action.