Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ibn Fadlan - Vikings - Neanderthals (?)

Abramelin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaters_of_the_Dead

The novel is set in the 10th century. The Caliph of Baghdad Al-Muqtadir sends his ambassador, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, to the king of the Volga Bulgars. He never arrives but is instead conscripted by a group of Vikings to take part in a hero's quest to the north. Ahmad ibn Fadlan is taken along as the thirteenth member of their group to comply with a soothsayer's requirement for success. There they battle with the 'mist-monsters', or 'wendol', a tribe of vicious savages (possibly relict Neanderthals) who go to battle wearing bear skins.

When you read the book, you will know these "Wendol" were a very hairy people (covered form head to toes with fur, except the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet), big heads, rather small but very muscular arms and legs but with big hands and feet, they were cannibals, they had protruding eyebrows and a protruding lower face (jaws).

Fadlan has been proven to have given a very accurate account of the 10th century Vikings, or "Rus".

Although Crichton, in the appendix of his book, doubts that this tribe, these "Wendol", were real Neanderthals (he thinks they were just common humans but with a primitive culture), the description given by Ibn Fadlan will no doubt give everyone reading it the impression that he had seen Neanderthals or maybe even a tribe of Homo Erectus in Scandinavia.

• Like 2

Is the book better thant he movie, because that sucked.

The book is excellent... I got the impression when reading it that the Wendol were Neanderthals... Even though there is no

evidence to support any Neanders living until such recent times, if they had it would definitely explain legends of trolls/ goblins etc...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Taun: the book is lots better than the movie. Although I must say I liked the movie too, lol.

=

And yes, when you read Fadlan's description of these "Wendol", all you can think of is "Neanderthal", but not the clean and shaven, almost modern human looking ones as appear to be their popular image at this moment.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

Btw, although the Wiki talks about a "novel", in fact it is a translation of Fadlan's narrative.

In short: non-fiction.

• Like 3

Btw, although the Wiki talks about a "novel", in fact it is a translation of Fadlan's narrative.

In short: non-fiction.

I dont have my copy on me, but checking the wiki article and the one for Ibn, the book written by Chriton is a combination of Ibn's personal account and a plot inspired by Beowulf. It is told by way of presenting it as a actual historical document.
  • Like 2

NOn fiction and fiction is not so discernible in those days ... and to be branded a liar or a teller of tales is pretty much a lifelong death sentence on death row ~

That is perhaps why the Gods of the day are always invoked as 'witnesses'

~

I suspect that 'Eaters of the Dead' is to anthropology as 'Jurassic Park' is to paleontology and 'Andromeda Strain' is to microbiology. Crichton is one of my favorite fiction writers, though.

• Like 1

I dont have my copy on me, but checking the wiki article and the one for Ibn, the book written by Chriton is a combination of Ibn's personal account and a plot inspired by Beowulf. It is told by way of presenting it as a actual historical document.

At the end of Crichton's book is a list of sources, and all are translations of Ibn Fadlan's narrative. He also added a list of books about the Vikings, as general information, and these are books where he based his footnotes on.

• Like 2

I read Eaters of the Dead quite a while ago, and found it a good read. The part where they get to Norway (or is it Sweden?) and they see the fires coming in the fog was an excellent mental image.

I liked the characters and the ending of the Movie, but really it is impractical to believe there was only one female and thousands of warriors.

The book did make me think Neanderthals also. I don't think Neanderthals would ever have collected into such an army, and likely never would have acted so warlike.

• Like 1

You're nuts. That movie is great!
  • Like 3

Uhm, yes, I think you are right:

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/1/post/2013/07/did-vikings-battle-neanderthals-in-medieval-russia.html

Well, then this will be a very short thread, lol.

• Like 1

Uhm, yes, I think you are right:

http://www.jasoncola...val-russia.html

Well, then this will be a very short thread, lol.

From the quoted link.

Crichton also cites the fictitious Necronomicon of Abdul Alhazred in the novel’s bibliography!

HA HA HA! Now I'm going to have to go dig out my copy and see if this is true. :tsu:

As far as movie critics go, if they all hate it then it's the movie I want to see. Nothing worse than having to sit threw a movie the critics all loved. I usually want to slit my wrists in order to get out going to it.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the movie as well...

It depends a lot on the company we're with

;)

~ I didn't in the theater ... I did in front of my TV on DvD

~

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a necro. But Abramelin, Crichton OPENLY ADMITTED IN THE APPENDIX (well, at least in the PDF I read) that everything past I beleive the third chapter was a total and complete fabrication. Almost every source listed (ALMOST) is a fabrication.

http://englishstudentsforum.com/uploads/novels/Micheal%20Crichton/Michael%20Crichton-%20Eaters%20of%20the%20Dead.pdf

See page 95. I read this book because of reading your references to them in the Oera Linda thread, and I thank you, but you're dead wrong.

• Like 2

I've read most of Crichtons books, but managed to miss this one. I'll read it next.

Sounds like this is one of those "Based on what we believe might be a true story".

http://en.wikipedia....ers_of_the_Dead

The novel is set in the 10th century. The Caliph of Baghdad Al-Muqtadir sends his ambassador, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, to the king of the Volga Bulgars. He never arrives but is instead conscripted by a group of Vikings to take part in a hero's quest to the north. Ahmad ibn Fadlan is taken along as the thirteenth member of their group to comply with a soothsayer's requirement for success. There they battle with the 'mist-monsters', or 'wendol', a tribe of vicious savages (possibly relict Neanderthals) who go to battle wearing bear skins.

When you read the book, you will know these "Wendol" were a very hairy people (covered form head to toes with fur, except the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet), big heads, rather small but very muscular arms and legs but with big hands and feet, they were cannibals, they had protruding eyebrows and a protruding lower face (jaws).

Fadlan has been proven to have given a very accurate account of the 10th century Vikings, or "Rus".

Although Crichton, in the appendix of his book, doubts that this tribe, these "Wendol", were real Neanderthals (he thinks they were just common humans but with a primitive culture), the description given by Ibn Fadlan will no doubt give everyone reading it the impression that he had seen Neanderthals or maybe even a tribe of Homo Erectus in Scandinavia.

Well Abe, I think you know my theory that most of mankind is a hybrid of what people call "bigfoot" and a smaller more hairless hominid. There's such a variation all the way from tall people to short people in varying hairyness.

It explains the DNA found recently with the maternal mitochondrial DNA being the same for bigfoot and humans, but with differences in the paternal DNA. At least that's how I understand the Ketchum studies.

If you go to a biker bar, you can find neanderthal descendants quite obviously :unsure2: Then if you go to a mensa meeting you meet, perhaps, the closer representatives of our other parentage line..

• 5 years later...