Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

An Australian church leader has used his Christmas message to criticise the obsession with "selfies" as shallow and conceited.

The head of Sydney's Anglican church, Dr Glenn Davies, noted Oxford dictionary's decision to award "selfie" - or self-portrait photographs - its international word of the year and expressed concern about the growing trend.

http://www.telegraph...th-selfies.html

• Like 3

I had no idea that people were obsessed with this. I don't think I have ever taken a picture of myself. Not that I'm modest or anything, it just never found a need or reason to. In more concerned about Australia shipping asylum seekers off, if the were in the US there would be a huge uproar.

• Like 1

There is value in being selfless, however, to be completely selfless is to be without a self, in order words - death.

Be selfish, but don't hurt others. That is the golden rule "treat others as you would want to be treated".

• Like 1

I had no idea that people were obsessed with this. I don't think I have ever taken a picture of myself. Not that I'm modest or anything, it just never found a need or reason to. In more concerned about Australia shipping asylum seekers off, if the were in the US there would be a huge uproar.

Yeh, the asylum seeker issue is not our proudest moment *feels ashamed*.

Looks like another "Kids these days..." whine to me. Nothing wrong with selfies. People have been doing self portraits for years, now they're just convenient and easy.

• Like 1

I suspect this is an unstated attack on the use of such pictures with few or no clothes on for trysts. He is probably jealous that he doesn't have a sexy body.

There is something useful in choosing to help others, those other people will be more likely to help you.

The more you give, the more you are likely to get back.

If you give nothing, people will probably see you as a mean selfish person and not give you.

In conclusion, selflessness can have a selfish interest.

Big thanks to Dr Glenn for speakin this public. ''selfie'' - when i heard about that word and what it represents... rofl its retarded . Best joke i heard in long time.

In short, i feel sry for 'facebook' generation and their obsession with 'starletes' :D As Dr Glenn said, shallow... So tiny, small brainz... I know people who take 100 pictures of them self in 1 hour time just to select perfect one and post it on their facebook account. And now they have a word for it lulz

Selfie sounds like something you'd do in privacy.

There was a New Yorker cartoon awhile back in an art museum where the guide tells the group something to the effect of, "This is Rembrandt in his fourth selfie."

• Like 4

Seems a little trivial .. and not exactly a stirring sermon ?

This is nothing new! People were talking pics of themselves in the mirror with cams and phone cams..

for years! Just now cause famous people are doing it.. they want to make it it's own word lol

• Like 1