Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 8

and-then

Just got a new PC and I've been struggling to even get the thing up and running. I've seen a couple of reviews trashing Windows 8 - just wanted some input about it.

Actually, I have no problem with it at all. Its a solid OS and works like it should. Just remember to install CCleaner and run it from time to time to regain free space from the temporary windows files. Those can get pretty huge in time.

Also learn your shortcuts. ALT + F4 for shutdown, WIN + X for quick access to a number of things like the control panel and WIN + C for quick access to the search option.

Its quite handy, for me as an IT person atleast. Not sure if its the same for the elderly population though.

I recommend installing Classic Shell, it puts everything back similar to where it was in XP and Seven.

Aside from that, I had it for about a year and got tired of it and installed Ubuntu.

• Like 2

I honestly don't understand what all the guff was/is about. I've had it for over a year & rather quite enjoy it. I was a little intimidated by it for the first hour or two with it, but with a little basic knowledge & a couple of Google searches, I'm at home with it. I actually prefer it over the older versions. Just ignore all the app BS.

if the hardware can pulse Win8 by all means ... and I mean pulse it ... not just bare minimum ... Win8 non-native apps are notorious resource guzzlers ... come to think of it so are the native apps ... just that it is more willing to release them ... to the OS

~

I heard some improvements have been made with Windows 8.1. I personally never used it so far but might be I will eventually. Anyway, you can always go to Windows 7, it works very well for many people and is supported with security updates until 2025. Some other Windows might come out by that time. :)

Edited by sam_comm

and then, make sure you update windows 8.1 through Windows Update. After the initial patches are applied you will find the upgrade to Windows 8.1 in the store. Run that and after it is installed, right click in the taskbar (bottom of the screen) and select navigation. In the Navigation window go to Start Screen and click all the boxes except "Show the apps view automatically when I go to start". Then close the box and your system will have the Start button back and will go directly to desktop when you start up the computer.

If you already are at 8.1 just do the taskbar part, you can tell by opening the control panel (left click in the lower left hand corner) and look at system which will describe your hardware and software.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Windows 8 is better than some of the older releases like *cough* Vista *cough* but I am still not a massive fan of it. It is an okay OS if you only plan on doing basic things but if you enjoy playing about with an operating system, customizing it etc then it is not great. Then again I am biased as I mostly only use Linux operating systems.

Edited by grendals_bane

Windows 8 is better than some of the older releases like *cough* Vista *cough* but I am still not a massive fan of it. It is an okay OS if you only plan on doing basic things but if you enjoy playing about with an operating system, customizing it etc then it is not great. Then again I am biased as I mostly only use Linux operating systems.

I cannot speak for myself as I never used Windows 8 in my computer but people I know do and I got to see glimpses of it. Maybe I will use it eventually, when I start looking for a new computer. :)

However, it is not uncommon to hear people buying a brand new Windows 8 PC, only to bring it to a computer technician to have him install Windows 7 on it. There seems to be features that many people doesn't like or are not comfortable with. Many still prefer the simple desktop interface of the past Windows releases for their computers, in comparison to the tablet or touch screen app style of Windows 8. That's just a constatation I came to made.

But not only the regular home user but enterprises as well have come to shun Windows 8.

According to these articles:

http://www.pcworld.c...ester-says.html

http://www.computerw...alue_in_changes

Windows 7 is expected to be on more than 60% of entreprises' PC while Windows 8 might get 38% which left it far behind.

So, again I cannot really explain the reasons behind that, with regard to my inexperience with 8 but it just seems that perhaps Windows 8 has come to soon after 7 as a response to the growth of tablets and smartphones use, when the later has clearly made it's proof and was much praised for the desktop environment.

Edited by sam_comm

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft reiterated its current stance regarding sideloading via this statement from a spokesperson:

“Microsoft provides a variety of options for businesses to sideload LOB apps on devices running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, including:

• Company Portal apps via Windows Intune or System Center Configuration Manager, which allow businesses a way to let employees or users easily install line-of-business apps

• Portals through third-party solutions (like Citrix, MobileIron, and AirWatch) based on the new MDM capabilities included in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

• Built-in PowerShell commands for performing installations

I cannot speak for myself as I never used Windows 8 in my computer but people I know do and I got to see glimpses of it. Maybe I will use it eventually, when I start looking for a new computer. :)

However, it is not uncommon to hear people buying a brand new Windows 8 PC, only to bring it to a computer technician to have him install Windows 7 on it. There seems to be features that many people doesn't like or are not comfortable with. Many still prefer the simple desktop interface of the past Windows releases for their computers, in comparison to the tablet or touch screen app style of Windows 8. That's just a constatation I came to made.

But not only the regular home user but enterprises as well have come to shun Windows 8.

According to these articles:

http://www.pcworld.c...ester-says.html

http://www.computerw...alue_in_changes

Windows 7 is expected to be on more than 60% of entreprises' PC while Windows 8 might get 38% which left it far behind.

So, again I cannot really explain the reasons behind that, with regard to my inexperience with 8 but it just seems that perhaps Windows 8 has come to soon after 7 as a response to the growth of tablets and smartphones use, when the later has clearly made it's proof and was much praised for the desktop environment.

Windows 8/8.1 Professional can be "upgraded" to Windows 7 for free.

What in the hell are you guys talking about? Ubuntu? Win8 non-native apps?

I've got a Dell 4100 and Windows ME, on dial-up. I'm going to keep this thing going just to see how long it lasts.

Is there a prize for being the last dinosaur?

• Like 2

I've got a Dell 4100 and Windows ME, on dial-up. I'm going to keep this thing going just to see how long it lasts.

:clap: You have my vote sir Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

:clap: You have my vote sir

I think that the last dinosaur was incredibly sad.

(I still do my banking on it.)

• Like 1

sounds like my father, though his excuse is that he is 90... but then, even in his most technical days when you send him an e-mail a few days later you would get a neatly typed answer with the post.

• Like 1

Windows 8

Burn in hell.

Nah, just kidding, I prefere windows 7 for the reason that Microsoft haven't decide: either they want more sales on tablet market or on pc market, they can't get both by making such hybrid as win 8, customers of one or another side won't be content.

Burn in hell.

Nah, just kidding, I prefere windows 7 for the reason that Microsoft haven't decide: either they want more sales on tablet market or on pc market, they can't get both by making such hybrid as win 8, customers of one or another side won't be content.

I think you have a lot of company. I put Windows 8 on my two primary computers when it was $39 for Windows 8 Pro and have been happy with it. Solid, secure, incredibly stable and a lot of under the hood goodness. I think the metro thing sucks but 8.1 brought some needed changes but honestly, it is a fouled up design that needs a lot of fixing.

I think you have a lot of company. I put Windows 8 on my two primary computers when it was $39 for Windows 8 Pro and have been happy with it. Solid, secure, incredibly stable and a lot of under the hood goodness. I think the metro thing sucks but 8.1 brought some needed changes but honestly, it is a fouled up design that needs a lot of fixing.

And they should bring back safe mode. I liked the search shortcut.

here you go

http://www.howtogeek...8-the-easy-way/

Remember you can completely reinstall W-8 from the recovery window

I know that, but I prefere the old way of going into safe mode. I think I'm just lazy. :lol:

Although there is a command to type in cmd with admin: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

...which brings back old way to safe mode, same command with "standard" instead of "legacy" restores things as they were by default.

• Like 1

I know that, but I prefere the old way of going into safe mode. I think I'm just lazy. :lol:

Although there is a command to type in cmd with admin: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

...which brings back old way to safe mode, same command with "standard" instead of "legacy" restores things as they were by default.

I agree.Maybe they'lll put F8 back in.

Windows 8/8.1 Professional can be "upgraded" to Windows 7 for free.

I was not aware of that (and probably many other people), as the circumstances never brought me to upgrade or downgrade Windows ''online''. Always had a clean installation when it was badly needed.

I think that the last dinosaur was incredibly sad.

(I still do my banking on it.)

Personally I would not do banking stuffs on it as the web browser in use for Microsoft ME has not been updated for many a year. It may be unsafe to use it for such purpose. (http://www.technewsdaily.com/3251-browser-threatens-security.html)

Edited by sam_comm