Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious boom noise heard in Toronto

qxcontinuum

Hope you still have power up there and good luck.

Thanks Merc, luckily my power wasn't knocked out but until Christmas eve I had family staying who didn't have power. My mother and I spent last sunday calling elderly relatives to check on them and make sure that someone was looking in on them. There's still about 70K without power in the GTA alone and its now day 6

Quite a weather you had there :no:

Similar storm sometime in the 2001, or 2002 (can't remember exactly) split blue spruce "in half" (double trunked tree it was, and quite tall) smashing two greenhouses... I almost had heart attack hearing that sound (was late evening, and I was almost asleep). Brrr...

I didn't hear what was reported but the ice was (and still is) all creaky and weird

was much different, this is an explosion boom while that one was more like a hum starting with lower intensity then reaching out to a peek point and decreasing until disappearance.

here is the sonic boom , quite some show with a spectacular "wall vortex" created behind. I you think UFO's are fast that's because you haven't seen a fighter Jet going supersonic ;)

Tom Cat

*snip*

Mig

*snip*

orgasmicz speed i shall say ...

Why do you insist on calling it a sonic boom? So it can fit your preconceived notion that it is of ET origins?? A weird and intriguing weather phenomenon happened? Did you even bother to read my link.

A cryoseism, also known as a frost quake, does happen frequently after ice storms but are quite uncommon in the GTA.

Lived through an ice storm here in Spokane in 1996, and once was enough for me!! :yes: . Off topic I know.

Hi all I have tried to post all the reports of the strange sounds heard in the world at another site which is interesting. I guess there are so many of which can`nt be explained,But I believe there are sounds and vibrations that can be heard of the earth of which we know nothing about.The only thing I can come up with these sounds have been reported to have been heard when the ice in the artics started breaking up in 1960`s to this day. Similar to this just event, and those sounds can travel all over the earth

Edited by docyabut2

Why do you insist on calling it a sonic boom? So it can fit your preconceived notion that it is of ET origins?? A weird and intriguing weather phenomenon happened? Did you even bother to read my link.

I did, but i know hat i've heard. it was clearly coming from above not the lake, sides. In the same time. In the same time i don't entirely deny the eventuality of a frosk quake but never really heard ome. i lived in Qc for the most of my Canadian life where every winter you get about -40 a week or two but never heard about this fenomenon.

[...]

I didn't hear what was reported but the ice was (and still is) all creaky and weird

[...]

Record it. Just imagine true story in the future from the records made by grand/grand/granny... Just joking.

Stay safe.

Edit: bizarre font size off.

Edited by bmk1245

Yes but scientists only give a reasonable and logical explanation or guess as to what things they and we don't know are. To jump to the conclusion that it was something paranormal or aliens/UFO's and such things is beyond stupidity! At least scientists try to work within the frame of the logic and laws of the universe.

You might well be right about scientist giving only a logical and reasonable explanation, people still have many ignorant and unreasoning superstitions and fears. These sounds could be quite natural in origin, even the Earth's natural dynamis does produce mysterious sounds, but I consider that to be a natural phenomenon.

So what then is the point qxcontinuum, of opening this topic with assuming that it must be a man/machine-made sonic boom ?

I am not saying that isn't possible I mean that it just takes the joy out of guessing.

Edited by spacelizard667

This explains the bang we heard against an outside wall,(in Scarborough, Ontario) we thought someone had hit the wall, it was a dull thud and we felt a slight movement as though someone had hit the house. This has happened twice during the last four days.

So where is the frost in costa rica?

Edit docyabou2... That is the mysterious hum... We've had itin Canada as well but it is different than the boom we are talking about. If there is an explanation to this one, the hum is still a solid mystery and there are occurrences across the mapamond

Edited by qxcontinuum

So where is the frost in costa rica?

Edit docyabou2... That is the mysterious hum... We've had itin Canada as well but it is different than the boom we are talking about. If there is an explanation to this one, the hum is still a solid mystery and there are occurrences across the mapamond

what I am saying is these sounds that can be heard all over the world can be way from the artics, similar to this report of the topic event of the ice in this case in canada

Slow Down is a sound recorded on May 19, 1997, in the Equatorial Pacific Ocean by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The source of the sound was most likely a large iceberg as it became grounded.[1]

Analysis[edit]

The name was given because the sound slowly decreases in frequency over about 7 minutes. The sound was detected at

17px-WMA_button2b.png WikiMiniAtlas

15°S 115°W / 15°S 115°W / -15; -115Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png15°S 115°W / 15°S 115°W / -15; -115. It was recorded using an autonomous hydrophone array.[1] The sound has been picked up several times each year since 1997.[2] One of the hypotheses on the origin of the sound is moving ice in Antarctica. Sound spectrograms of vibrations caused by friction closely resemble the spectrogram of the Slow Down. This suggests the source of the sound could have been caused by the friction between a large ice sheet moving over land.[2]

Edited by docyabut2

well, looks like it is a trend to solve all the mysteries blaming ice quakes...

even the famous Bloop mystery from '97 is attributed to a such quake.. lol . Blame the ice for everything !

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-11/29/bloop-mystery-not-solved-sort-of

well, looks like it is a trend to solve all the mysteries blaming ice quakes...

Whatever trend you are referring to is irrelevant to this thread. Don't take this off topic

Ice storm in the GTA (worst in 40 years) = cryoseism (Ice quake)

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

I won't really call it storm but just simple rain and -2, then after two days temperatures reached down to -17 which is perfectly fine for every winter,

I am not convinced it is cryoseism nor you can, sorry. That boom was not from a. Quake. Once again in Quebec where every year there's two weeks of -40 never ever similar sounds have been heard... Why Ontario then?

Edited by qxcontinuum

The Earth's own natural Dynamis can make sounds, I am not saying that this is absolutely the explanation [because I was not there.] I am just sayin' ...again, that it would be another possibility to consider.