Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The restaurant that serves up rejected food

Still Waters

Rub & Stub restaurant in Copenhagen is battling against waste - by serving up food that the supermarkets won't sell.

The restaurant offers meals made from vegetables and fruit rejected by the food industry because of sell-by dates and over-buying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-25449219

• Like 1

Good for them.

In so many cases, I think waste comes down to people believing a sell-by date equals an eat-after-this-date-and-die-a-horrid-death date.

Which is silly.

• Like 4

This is great if you ask me. I myself am not above a bit of the ol' D&D (Dumpster Diving, hence the handle). Good stuff in there that just gets wasted. Unfortunately for us BBC doesn't feel that good news deserves more than a mere mention. I just hope they aren't charging people much for dumpster goods.

Edit: forgot the word 'much'. Really changes the context of that last sentence I typed.

Edited by DumpsterJesus
  • Like 1

Good for them.

In so many cases, I think waste comes down to people believing a sell-by date equals an eat-after-this-date-and-die-a-horrid-death date.

Which is silly.

I agree. No sense in throwing away good food unnecessarily. I read somewhere that the laws are changing regarding sell-by dates etc., on certain foods because too many people are throwing away food for nothing.

• Like 1

After reading the comments on DM, it seems that this place charges quite a bit for it's food. While I've found no mention of charitable donations or even a mention of yearly upkeep costs. I'm starting to think that they use 'wasted food', 'volunteers' & 'nonprofit' as gimmicks & tools for reeling in the cash. I hope I'm wrong about this but that's not what former patrons are saying.

Edit: Fortunately it seems that I was very wrong. It seems that quite a bit of their profits go to charitable organizations, including the education of children. Sorry to be the constant pessimist folks.

Edited by DumpsterJesus
  • Like 1

When I read the headline I thought that the restaurant was just scraping the leftover food off other patron's plates.

Glad that is not the case. :)

• Like 1

When I read the headline I thought that the restaurant was just scraping the leftover food off other patron's plates.

Glad that is not the case. :)

As am I. That being said, I feel BBC should have given it a more thorough coverage. So that people like us didn't have to immediately jump to negative conclusions. But if it isn't sad & depressing, I guess no one wants to hear it. *sigh* :no: