Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suddenly I became someone to lean on

ambelamba

One of my closest friend is an assistant pastor in a very large church in K-town.

And he called me to meet him because I was the only guy he can speak freely to among all people he knows. Why? Because I am not a Christian.

He has gone through a lot. He has felt the systematic and wanton corruption of the church. Not just his own, but the entire church system in the both sides of the pond.

He confessed that very few people can actually fit into true Christian category and he can't condemn people for that. It's just the way it is and no one should burden people with super-high standard of faith, he told me.

We both agreed that the corruption is the way it is because of the human factor. And this brought up a lot of issues inside of my head. Well...

Seems like both God and Satan have very lousy PR departments.

Many Christians are rotten hypocrites. And many people against Christians are...rotten hypocrites. And those who bother to worship Satan are...terminal idiots.

If you branch out your thoughts on this, you will see the fundamental problem with scriptural worldview. It simply doesn't add up.

• Like 1

One of my closest friend is an assistant pastor in a very large church in K-town.

And he called me to meet him because I was the only guy he can speak freely to among all people he knows. Why? Because I am not a Christian.

He has gone through a lot. He has felt the systematic and wanton corruption of the church. Not just his own, but the entire church system in the both sides of the pond.

He confessed that very few people can actually fit into true Christian category and he can't condemn people for that. It's just the way it is and no one should burden people with super-high standard of faith, he told me.

We both agreed that the corruption is the way it is because of the human factor. And this brought up a lot of issues inside of my head. Well...

Many Christians are rotten hypocrites. And many people against Christians are...rotten hypocrites. And those who bother to worship Satan are...terminal idiots.

If you branch out your thoughts on this, you will see the fundamental problem with scriptural worldview. It simply doesn't add up.

It seems to me that you spend way too much time trying to make this all balance like some sort of equation. I don't say that as an attack, just an observation. My approach to it all is a lot like my grandfather's. He was a humble, pious man. He attended any church where a pastor was preaching on a given Sunday because he lived in rural south Alabama at a time when pastors actually traveled a circuit and most churches didn't have a regular, weekly pastor. He ate at the table with black folks at a time when he could have been excoriated for it socially and he taught his children that NO human being was superior to any other because of money or skin color. He was a simple man and he slept well and was as happy as a poor person could be in the depression. He did ALL THIS by following what his Lord, Jesus Christ said was the way to live. He wasn't educated enough to argue theology and he could read but not extremely well. My point in all that Almagest is to say that over complicating a thing ruins it. Christ's message was meant to be accepted by people with the faith of a child. I hope that someday you will achieve that level of surrender. Best wishes to you!
  • Like 6

Believe or not, my psychologist concluded that I have a personality that cannot tolerate any form of deviation, which caused major nightmares in my life.

Believe or not, my psychologist concluded that I have a personality that cannot tolerate any form of deviation, which caused major nightmares in my life.

In that case then maybe obsessing over religion is the lesser of some bad options! :) Good luck with it man.
  • Like 1

and then:

Thank you for saying that so plainly. I'm going to send your reply in an email to myself so I can re-read it. If you don't mind, I'll send it to some friends too (with your permission).

ambelamba:

I'm a christian myself, over 40 years now. And I agree with everything you said! I wish I could say that becoming a christian turned me into a saint overnight, but the truth is I have hurt other people in ways that I am terribly ashamed of. I'm the hypocrite you're talking about. It has taken most of my life and a lot of guidance from people much wiser than myself to get my feet squarely on solid ground.

As a christian, I apologize to you and to the world for my hypocritical behavior and the bad impression of Christianity I may have given you.

I wish you the best.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 3

It actually does if you stop believing that God and Religion is the same thing. God is real in a form or another. Religion was invented by governments as to speculate an existent phenomenon to obtain financial gains and to control the population.

Of course the pastors preaching God with their both hands in the air asking for donations in the name of Christ are hypocrite. Christ needs faith not money .

But what to expect from a world where money is the main instrument of Satan used to deter everyone from what it truly matters?

Edited by qxcontinuum

My psychologist told me once you understand the problem then you can retrain your brain. Which is what we did and it worked.

If there were no sinners, then there wouldn't be Churches. I have never found a religion that doesn't have hypocrites. It is human nature to say one thing and do something else. Do as I say, don't do as I do, in other words. I follow as Earth Base religion, after a Pagan festival at our ritual grounds I usually clean up main circle. People leave trash, cans, bottles and cigarette butts all over. Hello folks, the Earth is our Mother, not a garbage bin. I get really p***ed off about it, but it doesn't do any good.

• Like 3

Due to some of the positions and responsibilities I've taken over the last year I've found myself the confidant and guide of a largish number of people who've come looking to me for advice.

It's a bit humbling for a number of reasons, none the least because at the end of the day I'm just a knob head.

• Like 2

I think many of you guys fail to see the fundamental problem. The system itself is operated by corruption itself. I have no intention to surrender to a deity with such a wanton incompetence.

Due to some of the positions and responsibilities I've taken over the last year I've found myself the confidant and guide of a largish number of people who've come looking to me for advice.

It's a bit humbling for a number of reasons, none the least because at the end of the day I'm just a knob head.

Knowing your a 'know head' could be deep seff knowledge, makes you listen, and you probably don't judge quickly....

I will try to be more of knob head myself.

Peace

mark

Edited by markdohle

I think many of you guys fail to see the fundamental problem. The system itself is operated by corruption itself. I have no intention to surrender to a deity with such a wanton incompetence.

OK, I wish you peace my friend. I know what is in my heart, how I struggle, so the human condition does not lead me to the same conclusions that you have come to. I have experienced God's mercy, healing and love, yet still struggle and fail. I really hope you can find resolution to your inner suffering.

Peace

mark

• Like 2

IMO scripture sums up all your points very nicely. Scripture points out human weaknesses, but also tells us how to overcome them using our minds and our bodies. It suggests that a belief in god will also help people with the discipline required to manage this over a lifetime The bible, for instance, explains that only first by changing oneself can one change the world. It suggests starting with love of self .

peole are constructive and destructive , honest and liars. I do find that the world one inhabits is filled with people like oneself. So that if I am kind, honest, loving, and generous I am surrounded by like minded people, with ony one or two notable exceptions.

Ps one of the lessons it took me a while to learn is that while we are absolutely responsible for our own thoughts and behaviours we are not to blame or accountable for the choices and behaviours of others . Thus, as long as one is honest and true to oneself, the world is a good place to live in.

Edited by Mr Walker

• 2 weeks later...

Andthen; that was beautiful.

I think you guys are conveniently overlooking the notion that churches are the body of God.

Well, or many of us understand human nature, failure and yes corruption. It is everywhere, so why not the churches. It is Christ Jesus who makes the Body holy, not its members, there are many who are holy, good and loving people, they are easy to overlook. The make not ripples, nor scandal, goodness and honesty are not news, we don't focus on them for the most part.

They are taken for granted, until lost. We also find what we look for.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

I think you guys are conveniently overlooking the notion that churches are the body of God.

Each human is the body of god. Each individual part is as important and critical as million of us together. God does not "communicate" with churches, but one on one with individuals.

• Like 1