Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

​LAPD deploys drug detection swab test

Kowalski

The Los Angeles Police Department has announced plans to ramp up use of a portable tool that checks for drug use, beginning with a New Year’s Eve crackdown on intoxicated drivers. Officials cited increased medical marijuana use as a main justification.

A state grant supplied the LAPD with a swab testing tool that will be employed at DUI (driving under the influence) checkpoints and jails, Los Angeles officials said at a Friday press conference.

The conference was held to highlight use of the tool alongside breathalyzers - which check for blood-alcohol content - at sobriety checkpoints during the New Year’s holiday.

LAPD officers can ask a driver to consent to a voluntary portable oral fluids test of their gum line and cheeks. The tip of the tool is then put into a portable machine for immediate testing rather than requiring a blood test. Such blood tests have previously been necessary to verify an arrest made on the suspicion of drugged driving.

Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer pointed to the increased use of medical marijuana and the prevalence of dispensaries in the city as reason to step up enforcement of DUI policing.

“There’s a growing recognition that driving under the influence of drugs is something we need to be clamping down on more effectively,” Feuer said at the press conference.

The swabbing test is not completely untested, though it was only used 50 times in Los Angeles ahead of Friday’s announcement. City prosecutors said they have not used results from the test as evidence in any case thus far.

The portable oral fluids test screens for amphetamines, cocaine, benzodiazepine (Xanax), methadone, methamphetamine, narcotic analgesics, and THC – which indicates that marijuana has been used the past several hours.

Link: http://rt.com/usa/po...-test-lapd-902/

First off, this is completely unconstitutional. And second, some of these, are legal prescriptions you can get from your doctor. Why should someone be penalized for taking a Xanax, which their doctor prescribes, for panic attacks, which they have no power over and can't help? Or a painful condition that requires pain killers? I mean we don't penalize a diabetic for taking insulin, and then driving, do we?

I really think this is stupid. If someone is driving erratically and the cop pulls them over and smells alcohol and marijuana, then yes, give them a alcohol and drug test, but this.....this is not right, and I see a lot of lawsuits.....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

First off, this is completely unconstitutional. And second, some of these, are legal prescriptions you can get from your doctor. Why should someone be penalized for taking a Xanax, which their doctor prescribes, for panic attacks, which they have no power over and can't help? Or a painful condition that requires pain killers? I mean we don't penalize a diabetic for taking insulin, and then driving, do we?

I really think this is stupid. If someone is driving erratically and the cop pulls them over and smells alcohol and marijuana, then yes, give them a alcohol and drug test, but this.....this is not right, and I see a lot of lawsuits.....

i thinks they are checking for over usage or over the limit, if you have a subscription then you show a note, ideally you should caryr it with you

i thinks they are checking for over usage or over the limit, if you have a subscription then you show a note, ideally you should caryr it with you

"YOU HAVE DRUGS IN YOUR SYSTEM!"

"I have a prescription"

"VERE ARE YOU PAPERS!"

"At home"

"I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! OFF TO GAOL WITH YOU"

Nice way of increasing revenue, nick everyone with legally prescribed drugs but no prescription on themselves.

• Like 6

just refuse. If they take your license you can fight that later but if they have a sample they can make some kind of case. you owe them NOTHING

• Like 4

"YOU HAVE DRUGS IN YOUR SYSTEM!"

"I have a prescription"

"VERE ARE YOU PAPERS!"

"At home"

"I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! OFF TO GAOL WITH YOU"

Nice way of increasing revenue, nick everyone with legally prescribed drugs but no prescription on themselves.

then thats why the check the database

Umm... It says it's used in DUIs and in the police stations... How is this any less right than a breathilizer?

• Like 1

Umm... It says it's used in DUIs and in the police stations... How is this any less right than a breathilizer?

I can understand a breathalyzer. That detects alcohol. But this drug swab, detects things that are legal prescription medications, that many doctors prescribe. Many people take pain killers or anxiety medication as well, as smoke marijuana for medical reasons. Should these people be penalized and forced not to drive for a medical condition they can't help?

• Like 4

I can understand a breathalyzer. That detects alcohol. But this drug swab, detects things that are legal prescription medications, that many doctors prescribe. Many people take pain killers or anxiety medication as well, as smoke marijuana for medical reasons. Should these people be penalized and forced not to drive for a medical condition they can't help?

You are not allowed to drive under the influence of certain drugs, prescription or not.

Edit: Also, this test does not screen for painkillers. amphetamines, cocaine, benzodiazepine (Xanax), methadone, methamphetamine, narcotic analgesics, and THC (from your link).

Edited by FLOMBIE

In the letter of the law it really isn't. But if I was injured and was taking hydrocodone to help with the pain at night and 6 or 8 hours later happened into one of these sweeps, who gets to decide how much is too much? The advice I gave is for alcohol as well. Don't EVER agree to blow. Go to the station and have a seat. If you are obviously blotto then you're going to jail anyway. But don't give them PROOF for court. In most states the worst they can do is pull your DL for 1 year. There are ways of getting around that but a DUI is the gift that KEEPS ON TAKING....
  • Like 2

In the letter of the law it really isn't. But if I was injured and was taking hydrocodone to help with the pain at night and 6 or 8 hours later happened into one of these sweeps, who gets to decide how much is too much? The advice I gave is for alcohol as well. Don't EVER agree to blow. Go to the station and have a seat. If you are obviously blotto then you're going to jail anyway. But don't give them PROOF for court. In most states the worst they can do is pull your DL for 1 year. There are ways of getting around that but a DUI is the gift that KEEPS ON TAKING....

If your tests ends up positive, they would pretty much order a blood test as well, with which you can determine how much of the drug is in your bloodstream, and if it is enough to affect you. Just like how they do it for alcohol. If the drug is illegal, though, any amount would be too much.

Just don't drive under the influence, people. You put everybody around you and yourself in danger.

You are not allowed to drive under the influence of certain drugs, prescription or not.

So anyone who takes any type of prescription medication should be banned from driving? Oh my.....

I don't believe it would be Unconstitutional if you gave consent, right?

• Like 1

So anyone who takes any type of prescription medication should be banned from driving? Oh my.....

I said certain drugs. Not all. Drugs that influence your perception, reaction time, give you a high, etc, which makes completely sense.

• Like 1

Are you on my Facebook kowalski :)

We had a huge discussion about this last night.

My understanding is they want to start doing dna check point testing, and there's no such thing as a swab drug test.

To swab someone, you need a court order. Hello.

We just went nuts on this.

• Like 2

My understanding is they want to start doing dna check point testing, and there's no such thing as a swab drug test.

Of course there are, They are being used all around the world for years already.

LOL, I'm not on your Facebook. But, I also had a discussion with some people on mine, and we went nuts as well. And your right. They need a court order.

:)

• Like 1

LOL, I'm not on your Facebook. But, I also had a discussion with some people on mine, and we went nuts as well. And your right. They need a court order.

:)

Not if you agree to it. The test is voluntary.

Detecting it and penalizing them for it are separate things. Maybe the device wasn't designed with the intent on detecting it, but it still does? That is quite possible, I think.

Edit: Also, this test does not screen for painkillers. amphetamines, cocaine, benzodiazepine (Xanax), methadone, methamphetamine, narcotic analgesics, and THC (from your link).

No, it specifically says it SCREENS for all those things. My question is what sensitivity is used. If hydrocodone (a painkiller) has been used within 12 hours it can be seen but the effects may be far from being a problem with driving ability 8 or 10 hours out from last dose.
  • Like 1

If your tests ends up positive, they would pretty much order a blood test as well, with which you can determine how much of the drug is in your bloodstream, and if it is enough to affect you. Just like how they do it for alcohol. If the drug is illegal, though, any amount would be too much.

Just don't drive under the influence, people. You put everybody around you and yourself in danger.

I agree - driving drunk or impaired in any way is dangerous and unnecessary. It causes heartache and destroys families. But crucifying someone and impacting them financially for YEARS due to a single mistake and a random checkpoint stop is wrong. In many states a single offense is made to "go away" if one has enough cash or connections. But if you can't afford the legal help, woebetide your backside!
  • Like 1

I agree - driving drunk or impaired in any way is dangerous and unnecessary. It causes heartache and destroys families. But crucifying someone and impacting them financially for YEARS due to a single mistake and a random checkpoint stop is wrong. In many states a single offense is made to "go away" if one has enough cash or connections. But if you can't afford the legal help, woebetide your backside!

Huh? If you break the law, you have to face the concequences. Many people die because of DUI; it's not a petty offence.

Had a swab not long ago , lick each side of the inside of cheek, drag swab down centre of tongue,

Wait for roadside detection (10 minutes). If positive for ILLEGAL DRUGS ONLY, further tests at police station and hospital.

Is Australia the only place that use these? Crap !

No-one I know, drives without their prescription or drives stoned, it tests your saliva , which is affected

for afew hours only after marijuana, and days after meth use.

Anywhere. Anytime.

Bad boy , bad boy, whatcha gunna dooo !!!

Swab tests, under the guise of a DUI check are clearly invasive, and just plain wrong.

In my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

I said certain drugs. Not all. Drugs that influence your perception, reaction time, give you a high, etc, which makes completely sense.

What drugs are those, specifically?

Of course there are, They are being used all around the world for years already.

Not the kind described in the articles we had.

You have to send hair off to be tested for just pot.

They made it sound like a dna swab.

When ever an autopsie is done, it takes weeks to month to get a full toxicological screen.

Just like the alleged tests for swine flu, which can type dna faster than any lab, which I so don't buy, how can a test that takes a few minutes, do something other more comprehensive tests take hours to weeks...