Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
seeder

Digital Emily! Human Animation is So Real!

7 posts in this topic

Just saw this on BBC news on the tech section, and thought to share it. We all know computer graphics are getting more and more realistic, so take a look at Digital Emily. Its not hard to imagine a few years down the road when animations are undetectable from real humans.. oh boy that will cause some problems ahead I can imagine!

maybe film-stars wont get paid zillions either - once this is perfected

How to: (as if any of us could) :lol:

[media=]

ETA: text source if you cant see the vids

http://gl.ict.usc.ed...h/DigitalEmily/

Edited by seeder
3 people like this

For me its always the eyes and mouth that give it away, I guess once they perfect the mouth movements so that they can even be understood by lip readers, then that will be progress for sure, heck maybe some words can already be picked out by lip readers??

I have to admit, that was really good for a digital face. It looked quite realistic.

2 people like this

For me its always the eyes and mouth that give it away, I guess once they perfect the mouth movements so that they can even be understood by lip readers, then that will be progress for sure, heck maybe some words can already be picked out by lip readers??

In the second clip you posted, the real flesh-and-blood human actor that the artificial 'Emily' is based on is revealed to be physically identical to her, right?

Given that the clips are 4 or 5 years old, this seems to me less like a breakthrough in realistic human animation techniques and more like some convoluted process for photographing a real person's face and digitally manipulating it to look slightly less like the real person's face. :passifier:

My personal opinion is that they will never quite master the ability to fool discerning humans with CG technology; we have some kind of innate ability to always distinguish 'flesh-and-blood objects' from computer illusions.

I was there when The Phantom Menace came out, and then a decade later when Avatar was released.

On both ocassions all of my friends and every corner of the internet was raving about how incredibly realistic the CG characters were in those films.

Look at the work in those movies now - it's embarrassingly unconvincing and often downright lame. :td:

Edited by GollyBuster
1 person likes this

Or Final Fantasy ~ Spirits Within .... or that Beowulf (?) didn't even watched that one after seeing the trailers ...

*cool avvy GollyBuster ~ you got a dragon tattoo too ? ;) *

Does it.. cook?

3 people like this

Does it.. cook?

Not yet...but like any woman IT CAN TELL YOU HOW TO - :lol:

3 people like this