Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stores criticised for selling Easter egggs

Still Waters

Supermarkets have been criticised by shoppers after they began selling Easter eggs just days after Christmas.

Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, Asda and Sainsbury's have already started stacking the shelves of some stores with chocolate eggs and bunnies even though Easter Sunday in 2014 does not fall until April 20.

http://www.telegraph...-Christmas.html

• Like 2

While some folk like to spread the expense and buy a little at a time until Easter arrives, this OTT. I would not be buying anything for Easter right now, as much because I'm pretty sure what I would see on the shelves at this time of year would be last years leftovers as the fact that I couldn't possibly hold onto a chocolate gift for someone else for 4 months - I'd just scoff it and have to re-buy it again closer to the date anyway.

• Like 3

I saw the same thing in my local grocers. Cadbury cream eggs out on massive display the day after Christmas.

uh ...... no.....

There is a sign on a store near here that has a running countdown until next Christmas... Of course... It's a Christmas store (for decorations, etc)....

WHAT? Are they just tossing aside Valentine's Day like yesterday's rubbish? Insulting! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Stores like to sell Thanksgiving stuff even BEFORE Halloween! Who cares if the stores sell Easter stuff. :/ Though it is a little insane.

Edited by Princess Serenity

It's modern supply-side economics.

Production leads consumption, so the producers (and the sellers) have to invest more heavily in encouraging the consumer to buy. It is an extremely wasteful economic system.

• Like 1

Did someone say Cadbury Creme Eggs?

• Like 1

Did someone say Cadbury Creme Eggs?

Now 52p in my local shop....a complete rip off for a fondant covered in chocolate.

• Like 1

WHAT? Are they just tossing aside Valentine's Day like yesterday's rubbish? Insulting! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hehehe, and St. Patrick's day is March 17. So Easter is rolling over a couple of holidays.

A lot of people love those Cadbury eggs.. but jeez, it's a bit early.

Ugh not me, makes my teeth hurt just thinking about them. :no:

Saw at Bakers Delight this morning (New Years day here in Australia) hot cross buns. I love hot cross buns but will be patient to keep them special for Easter.

Hmmm...is there any correlation between the Christmas Eve Service I attended, where the Big TV Screens (3 in total) kept showing Christmas pictures followed by crucifixion pictures...with the preacher telling us that the story of Christmas needs to be told WITH the story of Easter as you cannot separate the two...and Big Box Store Easter Crap coming out the day after Christmas? Hmmmm...

My sister-in-law runs a small village shop and post office in the wilds of the UK and the week before Christmas she received a large box from Cadburys - you guessed it! Creme Eggs! She was astounded! She hadn't even ordered them but it seems they want to get their products in asap.

Hmmm...is there any correlation between the Christmas Eve Service I attended, where the Big TV Screens (3 in total) kept showing Christmas pictures followed by crucifixion pictures...with the preacher telling us that the story of Christmas needs to be told WITH the story of Easter as you cannot separate the two...and Big Box Store Easter Crap coming out the day after Christmas? Hmmmm...

Not on the part of any christian church or faith group but on the part of the cynical marketing gurus of the modern age, I'm sure the correlation and potential of a "captive audience" didn't escape their attention.

My sister-in-law runs a small village shop and post office in the wilds of the UK and the week before Christmas she received a large box from Cadburys - you guessed it! Creme Eggs! She was astounded! She hadn't even ordered them but it seems they want to get their products in asap.

Cadburys are shooting themselves in the foot - the best thing about their creme eggs is looking forward to the Easter "season" when they become available, people won't be nearly as interested if they can have them for 1/3 of the year whenever they want. Same goes for hot cross bun etc, they are ruining the Easter season and ultimately their own pockets by making it all so "passe".

• Like 2

Cadburys are shooting themselves in the foot - the best thing about their creme eggs is looking forward to the Easter "season" when they become available, people won't be nearly as interested if they can have them for 1/3 of the year whenever they want. Same goes for hot cross bun etc, they are ruining the Easter season and ultimately their own pockets by making it all so "passe".

Completely agree with this. Here at least, they are available at Halloween too but labelled as "Screme Eggs". They have green glop in them instead of orange/yellow, but they're Creme Eggs. And mini eggs are in store year round so when Easter comes rolling around they don't seem as "special" as they used to. I remember my brother and I always stealing the Creme eggs out of each other's baskets when we were little. hahaha My two kids think they're disgusting though anyway. Weirdos.. lol

• Like 2

I can't get so worked up about it, I'm afraid. What's a few Creme Eggs and hot cross buns (both of which I consume avidly whenever I can get my hands on them - whatever the time of year), compared to the three or four months of relentless tinsel, 'Jingle Bells' and buy buy buy that is the modern run-up to Christmas?

• Like 1

I don't even like creme eggs. I'm convinced though...that there are two entities that perpetuate all of these holidays...and the masses are addicted to their products. Big Sugar and Big Chocolate.