Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
outoftheworld

Elevator to the moon by 2020

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi i was reading in my papers a joke article about an elevator to mars, and then i remembered this, only from a year or two back about legit plans for an elevator to - wait for it - the moon!

http://www.space.com...on-project.html

At the time i thought it was a joke, but aparently the realistic idea of it has made its way onto quite a few reputable sources

The plans and development are still underway, and yes they are going to attempt it .. will have a look to see if i can find an official website for liftport group who are behind it

If, and i personally think the idea is nuts - but IF, it works, would YOU take it? i would be petrified of the heights, just thinking about it makes me sick.

Would love to hear your responses, i mean just imagine an elevator all the way to the moon

Edited by outoftheworld

This has got to be a joke...its not possible. The earth and moon spin and rotate at different velocities... (correct me if i am wrong) ...therefore this thing would snap in seconds.

To elaborate on Bavarian Ravens point: While the same side of the moon may face Earth, the same can't be said for the Earth facing the moon, so unless we plan on accelerating the moon to a 24 hour orbit, we're out of luck.

Also, the moon is drifting from Earth slowly but surely. I think that it is in the rate of centimeters per year, but considering factors in the millimeters can bring down a structure, its just another nail in the coffin.

Posted (edited)

Found it their official website

http://liftport.com/we-are-liftport/

``LiftPort Group will make the Moon economically accessible for exploration, settlement, and extraction of natural resources by designing, constructing and operating a Lunar Space Elevator Infrastructure (LSEI). The LSEI will transport cargo and people to and from the Earth-Moon Lagrange 1 (EML1), through a soft-landing, down to the surface of the Moon.

Located at the EML1, LiftPort Group will build and operate the PicoGravity Laboratory – a crewed research station with energy, fuel resupply and docking facilities for larger missions deep into the solar system. LiftPort opens up the Moon and the rest of the solar system to humanity.``

http://liftport.com/lunar-elevator/

``A Lunar Space Elevator Infrastructure can be built using existing materials, rockets, robotics, and communications – all in a “Single Launch Solution” that can be expanded as needed.``

CisLunar-Econoshpere-1.jpg

Edited by outoftheworld
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have seen an article describing an "elevator" made out of nano particles from the earth to a satellite in low earth orbit - but not the moon.

I can't remember for certain what publication it was in, but it may have been Popular Science.

Edited by Scudbuster

Here is a link to the original topic on the Lunar Elevator from September 2012
1 person likes this

I wonder if it will have a sign reading, "In case of fire, take stairs".

The Lagrange Point elevator is a far-out idea but just barely feasible by the end of the century. What could well work within a decade is the small-scale lunar-orbit rotating skyhook. Look it up. It's a legit idea.

1 person likes this

Really an exciting idea, that would take dedication and imagination. The sky isn't the limit.

1 person likes this