Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Acoustic Levitation

OverSword

From the page:

Imagine how much easier life would be if it was possible to levitate objects. Maglev trains, for example, use powerful magnets to repel the carriages and remove the friction of the train on the tracks.

But magnets are just one way of achieving this – and they require the object to have a repelling magnetic force. Now scientists in Japan have shown that a similar effect can be achieved with sound.

In this video they show that it is not only possible to levitate objects in mid-air using sound waves, but also to move them around. The results can be quite artistic – look about 1 minute in to see just what is possible.

They then levitate match heads, drops of water, screws and nuts.

The researchers at the University of Tokyo say they hope to refine the technique so it can be used to manipulate delicate electronic components when assembling hardware.

Video here

There are myths that songs were used to levitate rocks and build structures, I wonder.............

If I ever see you pointing your guitar at me... I"m telling your mother. LOL.

• Like 1

Wow, that is pretty nifty. To be honest though my Hyfonics amp and dual coil subwoofers were literally moving objects decades ago.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

hehe, recently discussed, see all of this page

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253813&st=1005

Edited by seeder

It seems to me that maybe a good selection for a larger specimen to levitate could be the ringing rocks. It seems that you may be able to more easily find the sound frequency of those rocks to match your levitating device to. Maybe this could be a reason that Egyptians traveled long distances to select specific quarries. Maybe these specific quarries of rock had acoustic properties.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Ugly1